Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Compass

The Kitschy Industrial Farmhouse Wannabe

Like many of you, I have finally started on my own renovation journey (break out into nervous dance)

Ok...I'm jumping the gun as the OTP was only just signed. Key exchange wouldn't be for another 4.5 months as the current owner needs an extra month for his move out.

Here's the low-down. Purchased this resale 4A unit after one viewing, the second day it was listed. I wasn't even there when it all went down! I sent other family members to get their impression of it and they said "Take it!" and so I did! Just like that, I will soon be in mortgage debt! I think we should all wear badges of pride for our bravery!

Here is the floorplan and my self-designed floorplan using floorplanner.com

hdblayout

layout

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I welcome your suggestions and thoughts! This isn't an exhibition blog. I want to document the journey and to get feedback from reno gurus!

Here are some ideas for the living room where you see the island and dining table combo. Island will be custom built (by contractor yet to be chosen) but dining table will be purchased (possibly from taobao)

love love this combo

Kitchen Island/Dining combo

Feel of living room

Love this look

I'm also including the look I hope to achieve for the kitchen. Hope to find those lovely blue tiles too! Anybody seen them?

Would like to add shelves above the sink/cooktop area to disply pretty crockery. Will not be doing high shelves as I don't want to block the light

white galley kitchen designs with black flooring tile

Overall dining/kitchen feel

kitchen backsplash moroccan tile

Shelves above cooktop/sink area

Also, I plan to build a little something for the washing machine for a more finished look.

laundry area

No real plans for the bedrooms except that I'll need built it closets. One room will have an old timey spidey wall while the other will just be based on his favourite colours and a few video game accents. I've already purchased the mural to put on the wall. I'll paint the buildings grey with yellow lights scattered around. Spidey will swing in from the corner. I generally do not like character themes so that's about all they'll get!

Boys' Room

DIY colour mural - bought!

Other Son's Room

For the master bedroom, I hope to put wall sconces like this. Already have some in mind from taobao.

Master bedroom wall sconces idea

For the bathroom, I hope to do something simple like this. But I'll add a solid countertop

bathroom

These are all images I found online and I'm truly grateful for the ideas!

The room that I'm most troubled by is the store room. I would like to convert it into my helper's room but there is no way of adding more ventilation. I can make it cheery but I think air is more important, no?! I ate a little into one room and I'm thinking whether to take some from the master bedroom too.

Anyway. I have a couple of thoughts and will ask the contractor if there is any way of filtering air in there. I wanted to add an a/c but are there System 5? And will she be too cold?

I would like to construct a platform bed so that the bottom can still be used for storage. Have a farm door so that the top can be opened. A wall fan (but I.m not sure how much help that would be)

Bed

farmdoor

okie dokie, these are all the ramblings I have for now! Taobao cart items will be a topic for another day!

Please let me know your thoughts on the designs!

The room that I'm most troubled by is the store room. I would like to convert it into my helper's room but there is no way of adding more ventilation. I can make it cheery but I think air is more important, no?! I ate a little into one room and I'm thinking whether to take some from the master bedroom too.

Anyway. I have a couple of thoughts and will ask the contractor if there is any way of filtering air in there. I wanted to add an a/c but are there System 5? And will she be too cold?

I would like to construct a platform bed so that the bottom can still be used for storage. Have a farm door so that the top can be opened. A wall fan (but I.m not sure how much help that would be)

Did I read it right that you want to get a domestic helper to sleep in a "will-try-to-make-it-a-bit-bigger" 1.4 x 2m store room (rather half the room with the lower part with junk)?

In all honesty, I won't even put my dog in there, not to say a person!

Edited by gurlwithcurl

Yep, it is exactly as it sounds like. I sat down with her and said that she was welcome to share our room space for as long as she wanted. She is sleeping with all three kiddos at the moment. I can't buy a place that has an extra room. The 5 rooms were out of my budget. There was no recess to be bought with this particular unit. Those are justifications for sure. She asked about the room and I said I'll have to thinking about how to make it work because of the lack of ventilation. She'll still be hanging her clothes in our rooms but the storage below the bed would give her some storage space.

Still, your point is a valid point and this is why i asked for feedback.

I think its a good idea to treat your helper better coz she is the one taking care of your kids and cooking for the whole family....

Yep, it is exactly as it sounds like. I sat down with her and said that she was welcome to share our room space for as long as she wanted. She is sleeping with all three kiddos at the moment. I can't buy a place that has an extra room. The 5 rooms were out of my budget. There was no recess to be bought with this particular unit. Those are justifications for sure. She asked about the room and I said I'll have to thinking about how to make it work because of the lack of ventilation. She'll still be hanging her clothes in our rooms but the storage below the bed would give her some storage space.

Still, your point is a valid point and this is why i asked for feedback.

If she really doesn't mind the room aka storeroom, and really want to have some personal space, then possibly you can make some amendments to the door? Is it possible to have a "window" on the door? Since she is sleeping on the upper deck, the window on the door can be placed higher for ventilation.

It does sound clastrophobic to me though...

I understand your constraint and also the maid's desire to have her own personal space. All my previous maids would prefer to have their own space, regardless of how small the area is, to unwind and relax. I believe all of us would like that after work and not face our employers 24hrs a day.

If your maid want that space and that is the only area where you could crave out of your house, truly ventilation is an important factor. Troublemaker has a good point there. Look into opening up the upper area with open brick or ventilation fan or aircon? It is going to smell as well with a person staying there without much ventilation.

1 suggestion - One of my friend installed a folding wall/door in her daughter's bedroom. As her daughter sleep in aircon room and the maid doesn't like aircon, the area created for the maid is right next to the windows in the daughter's room. During daytime, the folded doors are flip all the way open creating 1 big open space. At night, the maid closes it to create her own space. It was such a very neat arrangement that we did not know there's 2 areas until she showed me.

Edited by Apple1

Hi Apple1 and Troublemaker!

Thank you for your comments! :) Much appreciated and I'm going to go back to the drawing board with regards to that space.

The original door I was going to make was going to look like this so that it can open at the top.

farmdoor

1 suggestion - One of my friend installed a folding wall/door in her daughter's bedroom. As her daughter sleep in aircon room and the maid doesn't like aircon, the area created for the maid is right next to the windows in the daughter's room. During daytime, the folded doors are flip all the way open creating 1 big open space. At night, the maid closes it to create her own space. It was such a very neat arrangement that we did not know there's 2 areas until she showed me.

This is a great idea! I'm looking into it as I type!

Edited by Compass