Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi guys, I'm new here. Looking for some advice on my new home.

We just got our new bto 4 room flat. However our budget is really low. We are deciding to do the bare minimum, move in first & do the reno in stages. Hence we are looking at

1. Lights (Ikea)

2. Water heaters

3. Sink (Ikea)

4. Bed

5. Wardrobe (diy shelving system from qoo10)

6. Kitchen shelves (Ikea)

7. Fans/Air conditioner (due to the ongoing reno of neighbours, we are looking to air condition as a priority and closing all windows at all times)

We are looking at possibly just buying everything from IKEA and fixing up ourselves. However we understand that certain items like lights and heaters need to be fixed up by an electrician, correct me if I'm wrong. Hence would this increase the cost by so much as to be not worth it? For example, if we did the reno stage by stage, would it end up 50% more expensive than a package? If so, our second choice might be to get a loan but its really a choice we would like to avoid.

Also some questions we are looking at and hope the bros here can answer, thanks in advance :)

1. For lights/water heaters/sink, is it cost effective to buy our own lights/heaters and have it fixed up by a contractor? Or would it still be more cost effective to take a cheap reno package and have them do it for you?

2. For kitchen shelves, we are looking at open shelves without cupboard doors. These could be bought at Ikea. Would it be cheaper to get a contractor to drill the holes and install them? We are open to setting it up ourselves but are wondering whether it is more hassle if we do not have diy experience.

Anyone has any leads/tips/blogs on diy hdb experiences? Any help much appreciated :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

We just got our new bto 4 room flat. However our budget is really low. We are deciding to do the bare minimum, move in first & do the reno in stages. Hence we are looking at

1. Lights (Ikea)

2. Water heaters

3. Sink (Ikea)

4. Bed

7. Fans/Air conditioner (due to the ongoing reno of neighbours, we are looking to air condition as a priority and closing all windows at all times)

We are looking at possibly just buying everything from IKEA and fixing up ourselves. However we understand that certain items like lights and heaters need to be fixed up by an electrician, correct me if I'm wrong. Hence would this increase the cost by so much as to be not worth it? For example, if we did the reno stage by stage, would it end up 50% more expensive than a package? If so, our second choice might be to get a loan but its really a choice we would like to avoid.

Also some questions we are looking at and hope the bros here can answer, thanks in advance :)

1. For lights/water heaters/sink, is it cost effective to buy our own lights/heaters and have it fixed up by a contractor? Or would it still be more cost effective to take a cheap reno package and have them do it for you?

2. For kitchen shelves, we are looking at open shelves without cupboard doors. These could be bought at Ikea. Would it be cheaper to get a contractor to drill the holes and install them? We are open to setting it up ourselves but are wondering whether it is more hassle if we do not have diy experience.

Anyone has any leads/tips/blogs on diy hdb experiences? Any help much appreciated :)

Welcome to RT!

Hmm, I've used IKEA stuff for my previous home, mainly TV console and some simple cabinets... But seriously... Never lasted... The price you pay is the quality you get... My TV console's drawer became bent after awhile and the wood keeps slipping off when I pull out the drawer (not using much strength also). :no: So ended up, had to reassemble the whole thing again, this time actually using strong glue to make sure it doesn't slip off... I'm not sure about you but if I'm looking at mainly carpentry, I'd go to an in-house carpenter/contractor and get the direct prices from them to do and fix up my Kitchen cabinets and wardrobe. Since they are more experienced and the materials they use should definitely be better and longer-lasting than IKEA... Also looks a ton better... Other areas can save then save lor... You find people to go and drill for you only, they also charge you not cheap one la (correct me if I'm wrong).

Lights, I'd think it might also actually be better to get an electrician, unless you've had experience la... Then go ahead. You can also save on this unless you need more socket points added.

Plumbing find plumber. The last time I tried installing my own instant heater, forget it. I go back my own office to shower!!! But if I'm not wrong, the shop you buy the heaters from... Should be able to help you to install. Just pay them extra.

Actually, you mentioned:

1. Lights (Ikea)

2. Water heaters

3. Sink (Ikea)

4. Bed

Only mainly carpentry and minor installation. Just go to any ID and ask for a simple quotation lor. If you're looking for really low prices, you can try hunting for contractors yourself. I also recently got an ID to do up my mum's house Kitchen cabinets, wardrobe and install air-conditioning. Price also very reasonable, they never overcharge me compared to some ID firms. Some ID firms I tried to get quote from tell me, so little things they don't want to do (I'm sure I'm not the first person to hear this)... Others will markup to very high... $140/$150 per feet... Also no sample let me see... :jawdrop: Then I just kept looking on RT to see if got anyone will do. Finally found one. Exceed my budget a bit. But I also happy. Effortless ma, just go to their factory pick pick pick the materials then okay le. Still can see them demo for me. I chose soft-hinges because my mum is a very strong person!!! Then wait at home, sit there and watch them install for me. But the carpentry looks really solid. :good:

But if you're really not that into D.I.Y, then better get a cheap quote and get it done... If not waste time and hard work, use awhile then break... :angry2:

For your budget problem, just do bit by bit is okay la. I still recommend you to contact an ID. So they can give you proper advice to your scenario... Whether what to do, what better not do to save money. Also don't have to pay them money to get quote.

I hope all goes well with your renovation, bro! :jammin:

Edited by Wyorie

1. Lights (Ikea)

2. Water heaters

3. Sink (Ikea)

4. Bed

Check Gloous for your household appliances. http://www.gloous.com/ they have some reference deals on their Facebook. typically will help you save 30% on the items. If it is not good enough, there is a furniture exhibition recently. maybe you can go there as well. just that you may not find the exact model you are looking for.

1. Lights (Ikea)

2. Water heaters

3. Sink (Ikea)

4. Bed

Hi ANALYTICS,

When you say your budget is really low ? How much is your budget ? <10k ?

1)Lightings - For lightings, you can get from Taobao(Cheapest 5x) , Tampoi (Cheaper 2x) which will be significally cheaper than all other lightings shops in SG.

2)Water heater - For water heater, you can try getting a storage heater about 20 Litres , should be around $1xx

3)Sink - Cann't really advice but i think you can get those aluminium one, it will be much cheaper, i think should be around <$100 not sure if taobao is cheaper than SG locally.

4)Bed - What sort of bed and what is your budget for your bed ?

5)Wardrobe - What is your budget for it ?

6)Kitchen cabinet - I recall seeing Ikea selling some top shelf hydraulic cabinet for $80 which seems durable.

7)Fans/Air conditioner - Aircon is a want not really a need, if you really on tight budget maybe you postpone it later.

With the internet, i guess you could figure out how to do installation for lights and heaters. (You will probably need to get your hands dirty for that). If not, Get a renovator to do your reno ala carte style instead of package, as there are always hidden costs in a package or You could probably try sourcing for those direct contractor to do the work required. If not, go across SG to hire some JB contractor to do the work ?

Hi everyone, I'm back again, sorry to check back so late and thanks for all the replies.

1. Lights (Ikea) Done. We went with the cheapest Lock lights & Philips LEDs. On hindsight, might have been better to get led lights instead from shops/Taobao. I was worried about LED lights casting a shadow at the bottom of the bulb but at night, its not noticeable and everything looks bright enough. Total cost of bulbs and fixtures is $275. Installation slightly high at $132. Actually installation is easy, can diy, just that didn't want to get electrocuted :) So overall $407.

2. Water heaters I might have messed up here. Bought Bennington C600 multipoint ($269+$120install) and as I live on the top floor, water pressure is terrible, so low until it can't even trigger the heater to work. Might have to change it :(Update: Finally the pressure got fixed.

3. Sink (Ikea)

4. Bed & Mattress

5. Wardrobe (diy shelving system from qoo10) $200

7. Fans/Air conditioner In progress, currently trying to get quotes for MHI. Anyone with contacts pls pm me. Tried 6 coys and only 2 got back to me. :(

8. Fridge

9. Washer

10. Service yard windows

Edited by ANALYTICS

hi, i think for the bed and mattress, you can go and search for those package like bedframe+ mattress less than 1K or those king or queen size bed set less than 2K.

Fidge and washer, you can wait till for the warehouse sale or expo sale. it will be much more cheaper.

as for the kitchen shelf, my advise is not to drill hole on the wall. it might have problems when you want to change the shelf. you can use either plastic shelf or metal shelf. it is cheaper and you can change it at anytime when they are spoil.