Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bykaraanne

How Soon Do You Start Looking?

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know, how soon do y'all start looking for a contractor for a new build?

They are building the last level of our block of flats right now, usually, how long more does it take to key collection -- and when should I start looking (like, any milestone to take note of? When the painting is done or something else... etc.)

Thank you in advance!

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi,

Just sharing personal experience. I selected my bto flat in March 2010, key was ready around Nov 2012. Usually key will be ready well in advance of the date estimated by hdb. For me it was about 1 year in advance. U could use this as a gauge.

We are at towards the tail end of our renovations now...

while waiting for the keys..you can actually list down the things you wanna do for your new place & the budget to work with.

hang around here in RT for ideas, good deals...etc.

we tried gettin quotes..very few responded..the moment they hear we've yet to get our keys.

maybe business is brisk for these ppl..many BTO projects for the next few years...haha.

Realistically, start thinking about ideas 2-3 months in advance by looking up forums and reading other people's experience. Try and get ready a shortlist of IDs/Contractors you want to reach out to.

Atleast one month before, you need to start reaching out to IDs/Contractors. I agree with the above observation by ANDiLaLaLa - don't be disappointed if many of IDs/Contractors don't respond. Business is good nowadays. They are all too busy. Only a few will respond.

Have a decent chat with a handful (not more than 10; the reason I say 10 is many of them will not come back to you with a proposal - it's a waste of time!) and share your expectations and ask for their ideas. Ask them to submit their initial proposals. You should have atleast 4-5 good proposals to compare and contrast. From this list you can narrow down to 2 or max 3 for a final showdown.

Hope this helps. Most of the points listed above are from my own experience.

Good luck!

Edited by aluka

Thanks for all the responses!! My block just started painting works so I guess I better get going. I've went to Reno fairs just to take a look but haven't sat down with anyone for a quote. Going to start doing so!

Thanks again!

Hi there,do have a budget in mind.When u meet up with IDs,state your budget first.Adding false ceilings,led lighting,'L' box,Will add weight on to your wallet.Nowadays they have packages.So u might wanna start from there.See as many ID as you wan..Jus dun sign w/o comparing with other quoted prices and designs carefully.

Gd luck.

Actually, with BTO apartments looking pretty much identical to each other, you can simply cruise the reno T-Blogs looking for something that you like and can afford. You might save a bundle in design fees if you just emulate someone else's design.

I already have my own design! :) And I've had a few IDs look it over to see if it was "feasible", but have yet to find a contractor because they feel that it's far too early. (My block now already has windows up and painting completely done... My side of the carpark has also been done. But so far, no news from HDB yet.

Does anyone know roughly how long it is between developer handing over for inspection (to HDB) and key release? Someone asked our developer and they said the first block (probably mine) will be handed over in June for inspection.

If you already have your own design, then you might consider looking for direct fty suppliers alternatives for the time being. Such quote can help you as references for quotes comparison.