Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

My first experience in choosing IDs so far:

I uploaded my floor plan on Renotalk website and requested for quotations.

Initially, I was flooded with many calls from several IDs. Almost all of them AGAIN! asked me to send the floor plan to them, even though I uploaded the floor plan on the website in the first place. Also all the IDs wanted to meet me and see the site.

I asked all the IDs to drop me an email with their first quote based on the floor plan and my initial requirements for me to consider before I can meet them up. If not, I need to spend next many weeks just to meet them all! Surprisingly, most of the IDs never send me any email after the call. Only a handful few sent me emails some with standard package offers inspite of me mentioning what I wanted to do!

Few of them sent me intro email and after that no response!

I was impressed by Vincent Blog (http://www.vincentinteriorblog.com/) on his knowledge and advice to new home owners like me. I reached out to Vincent and sent him my floor plan and requested for quotations. (similar to Renotalk). I was recommended to 2 IDs by Vincent. Unfortunately AGAIN, no response by both the recommended IDs, inspite of me waiting for over 3 weeks for them to respond!

Looks like every ID in this business is very busy with loads of projects! Appears to me that ID business is a good business to be in!

In the next part, I will write about my experience in shortlisting the ID’s – thanks to the Renotalk friends feedback and some personal contacts.

• Like 2

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

How important is choosing a ID who is CASE TRUST accredited?

When I checked with most IDs, they don't have CASE TRUST accreditation. In my opinion, in case of any disputes, if the ID is CASE accredited, then as a consumer we stand a better chance of getting it resolved amicably and better protection.

Any views from friends out here?

IMO, the accreditation is just a matter of paperwork, or membership to some authorities.

It's better to use an id which ur friends, relatives etc had used before and look at the physical product and deliverables.

Don't pay for lip services, every dollar counts

Edited by JoeyNg

How important is choosing a ID who is CASE TRUST accredited?

When I checked with most IDs, they don't have CASE TRUST accreditation. In my opinion, in case of any disputes, if the ID is CASE accredited, then as a consumer we stand a better chance of getting it resolved amicably and better protection.

Any views from friends out here?

The following ID's are under Case Trust but I wonder how would it benefits consumers like us?

http://app.case.org.sg/casetrust.plx?rm=results

The following ID's are under Case Trust but I wonder how would it benefits consumers like us?

http://app.case.org.sg/casetrust.plx?rm=results

Thank you for sharing.

Case Trust is like an Insurance. Similar to insurance, there is no immediate benefit because an ID is Case Trust accredited.

But later for some reason, if the ID doesn't fulfill the promise or renovation contractor doesn't complete the works or does shoddy work, CASE will take up your case, do mediation with the ID and and fight for you. Since the ID is CASE trust registered, they have to play by the rules.

If the ID is not CASE trust accredited they are not bound by CASE Trust mediation. The ID can refuse to participate in the mediation. In that scenario, only other option is you have to fight your own case by taking them to court / small claims tribunal, against a firm which has better resources. It is sure lose! You sure will benefit by not having to go to court or running to small claims tribunals for claiming back your due for the shoddy work / quality or incomplete works.

I know friends where renovation went wrong and work stopped suddenly. ID's not responding; but already paid money. He went to CASE; case tried to mediate; but the ID refused because they are not case registered. Later he had to run from pillar to post to get due back.

I am still in the process of choosing an ID for my reno. But haven't come across many with case trust accreditation. So was wondering why...

Thank you for sharing.

Case Trust is like an Insurance. Similar to insurance, there is no immediate benefit because an ID is Case Trust accredited.

But later for some reason, if the ID doesn't fulfill the promise or renovation contractor doesn't complete the works or does shoddy work, CASE will take up your case, do mediation with the ID and and fight for you. Since the ID is CASE trust registered, they have to play by the rules.

If the ID is not CASE trust accredited they are not bound by CASE Trust mediation. The ID can refuse to participate in the mediation. In that scenario, only other option is you have to fight your own case by taking them to court / small claims tribunal, against a firm which has better resources. It is sure lose! You sure will benefit by not having to go to court or running to small claims tribunals for claiming back your due for the shoddy work / quality or incomplete works.

I know friends where renovation went wrong and work stopped suddenly. ID's not responding; but already paid money. He went to CASE; case tried to mediate; but the ID refused because they are not case registered. Later he had to run from pillar to post to get due back.

I am still in the process of choosing an ID for my reno. But haven't come across many with case trust accreditation. So was wondering why...

If based on the list from CASE Singapore, there are only 21 ID companies under CaseTrust.

Doing renovation is like a big amount of $$, the worst part if the ID close shop went bust we cannot do anything.

Same like you, I am also looking at ID's in which some are under CaseTrust & some are not.

Thank you for sharing.

Yes, the way you explained is right. Because in the past, unfortunate cases of unfinished jobs after paying money happened. Even though my mom's place wasn't renovated for a lot of money, just so happened that my ID is under CaseTrust. If anyone of you would like to know, I'll be more than glad to share their contacts. Good things are meant to be shared. Worksmanship is good and they were efficient in their coordination and following-up. :good:

Edited by Wyorie

Wyorie, I would be interested in your mum's id too. Would appreciate your sharing with me by pm.

Hi EQ2008!

Yes, will PM you.

• Like 1

I have been reading up on reviews of iDs on this forum before I decided on the one for my EC.

Collecting keys next week and hope to share my experience with others.

Basically I only met up with 3 ID cos as follows :

1. Summit design

2. NID

3. Inside Living

Each of above co quoted within the range of 22k to 25k.

No follow up from summit design at all.

We were quite keen on NID as reviews is good. However as inside living were prompt in follow up, I requested to view one of their projects before making final decision.

After viewing, we opted for inside living for the following reasons:

1. Workmanship of the 8 months old flat we visited were good.

2. I like the idea suggested by the designer and its obvious he is a id designer and not just salesman or contactor.

3. Follow up is prompt. If designer is not interested in my business in the first place, I am not sure about entrusting my house to him.

Quote is not the cheapest but I hope I get gd quality finishing and workmanship. Designer will be coming along with us to inspect the house for defects before we could commence on renovation.

So far, he has been v proactive. Hope the reno process is going to be a smooth one and I will share more as we go along.

Hope the above sharing is useful.

• Like 1

came across 2 contractors... when I check with hdb... cant find their names.. does this mean they cannot do any reno? apparently its an offence under the guidelines.. can be fined up to 5k