Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yc_mw

When The Old Turns New @ Sgoon North

Hi,

I am facing the same problems as my flat is old too and needs a lot of work done,

Initially budgeted around 40k but it is not enough...think most of them quoted me around 50 to 60k.

I think like u,cutting down carpentry now and will buy next time (when save more)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hooray! Finally got the keys last week, and finalise the layout of the unit.

Before:

15mikna.png

After:

2yp0top.jpg

Edited by yc_mw

Hi dear!

I am currently staying very near you :P (near the yck church opp the mosque)

Old flats are like that.. a lot of renovate.. so add up quite costly. Mine also around this amount(slightly more in fact)

I am so excited to see the upcoming transformation. Gonna follow your updates :)

So you main door is at the foyer there and the access balcony is the recess area you are purchasing is it? Sorry huh, I'm a bit confused heh..

Hi RLB.

Good to see you here. Yep, the access balcony is the recess area that we will be purchasing. Pending for approval now. We hack away the original door frame, so, we'll build the main door at the recess area entrance.

Renovation cost is exorbitant nowadays!!! Total madness. But, I really can't spare the time to do all the coordination & stuff, so, really is LL bo bian, just pay. ~_~

We're the opposite. We stayed at Bt Merah previously, and shifting to Sgoon Nth. U stay at Sgoon Nth previously & shifting to Bt Merah now. :)

So what is the theme that you are likely going for?

I really like the changes you are making to the current floor plan. Really gonna be when old turns new ;) Was it your ID who suggested the change in layout or you yourself?

Has your hacking been approved?

Yeah.. at first when I received my quotation, it was in 3 pages. So when I saw the cost at the bottom of the first page I was naively happy :lol:

then i turn over.... :( I feel like maybe I was overcharged but when I compare around I realized its the same everywhere.

This is so cute. I really like Bt Merah area. Lotsa good food!

Srgn is not bad also la.. got chomp chomp.. and nex (but very crowded always)

Woohoo! Hacking approved. Works are gonna start tomorrow. Things are getting serious 0.o

On a happier note, we have gotten a really good deal for Toshiba System 5!!! Hopefully, everything will turn out well.

Hi yc_mw , congrat,

We were hunting for unit there for some time but didn't get any good one. there was one low floor indian house for sale for quite some time still haven't sold i think.

I believe its 13FIVE ? facing the main road of yck ?

Hi @ILJ,

Thanks! ^_^ We are 13* but not 135. :)

We bought the unit on the 1st day that it was put on the market I think. Fast hand, fast leg. Heheheh

There's a EM for sale at 138 now, in case you are still looking for something ard the area. But then it's ground floor tho.

Just want to share some of my experience when looking for Air-conditioning units & Windows + Grilles for my 5 room flat.

Windows & Grilles (Whole house in original W&G from HDB since >25yrs ago):

When I first got Quotation from my ID & several IDS/ Contractors for my windows & grilles, most were in the vicinity of >/=10K. My request was casement preferably since I dun like brightness/ wind/ view to be blocked by window panels (in the event that I opt for sliding), white powder coated for windows frame & grilles, and clear glass.

But, since most IDS/ Contractors were quoting me in the range of 10K for my requirements, I decided to source on my own. $10K is about 12% of my entire reno cost. I decided that it's way too high. I asked around, search in forums, and finally googled. In the end, I was given 3 quotations by direct windows contractors.

a.) t** located in Tampines: Send in my request via their online conatct form. Called me back after 3 days and told me that estimated Quote is bout 4K max. OMG! I was like so freaking happy, but, also skeptical since I don't believe that the makeup can be as much as 60%. I asked if they need to go on-site to do measurements, and he say no, but, it'll be gd if I can measure and then update him so that he can give me a more accurate Quote. So, after I do my site measurements, I contacted the Sales again, and this time, price went up to 5K plus, althou it was relatively cheaper than many others, but, I decide not to contact them again as they've never been on site, so, I'm not sure if there's going to be any other surprises.

b.) ANV Aluminium Contractors: Send in my request for a Quote via email, and Alex very promptly replied on the very same night with an estimated Quote of 7.3K. But, he mentioned that may be lower as he feels that dimensions shouldn't be that huge. So, we arrange for a site visit the next evening by his Brother Vincent. He was able to tell me the exact price immediately after the measurements, and although the total price went up to 7.5K, I was impressed by their prompt service and willingness to accommodate. Most importantly, they're the only Windows & Grilles Contractor that tells me that there's no difference to the price of Casement or Sliding since they manufacture themselves.

c.) Chin ***** @ Geylang: Send my request via email, and was contacted about 2-3days later. Very nice boss who came down personally to take measurements. But, alas, total quote was close to $9K.

After the above 3, it's quote clear that we go ahead with ANV Aluminium Contractors for their speedy and excellent service. Being the auntie that I am, of coz I couldn't resist bargaining on the price. So, I request that Alex do up the whole house windows & grilles for us at his initial quote price of 7383, and he kindly agreed! YEAH! Will update on the quality and installation works soon.

Air-conditioning units

We din get quotes from lots of vendors this time round as not many shops carry System 5, and as far as I know, only Daikin & Toshiba have System 5. Since Daikin is made in Thailand and Toshiba is in Japan, we have a clear winner. Now, the problem is getting from who.

We went to Gain City for Quote since we were at MS doing some festive shopping. We were quoted in total 5.9K for 24K + 13K +3x 9K. If we were to upgrade to 1/2" thick class 1 armaflex & copper piping + thick PVC piping, all in will cost us bout 6.5K. With their current promotion of $500 voucher offset and 1+4yrs warranty upgrades. We thought it's quite a gd deal already, but, decided to wait out and see if we can get better deals. Afterall, a penny saved is a penny earned.

After looking ard & asking friends for recommendation, I'm glad I found Stanley & Jeff from Livecool Solutions. Not only is their pricing very competitive as they're very clear on their competitor's pricing (eg. Gain City), their service is superb. Very prompt and punctual in meeting up for the site survey. Helpful & knowledgeable. In fact, they met up with me twice, once is for the initial site survey, then once more with my ID & PM for a final discussion on the actual trunking and unit placement. Also note that they never charge me extras for the 'LONG' distance and price quoted is inclusive of multiple trip installation if necessary. I have good vibes about this young duo (Started their own company 1.5yrs ago, i think) who have been in this industry for many years. Hope whoever contacts them for their service will be as satisfied as I am!

I am always more than happy to post wonderful reviews about my purchases. So, I think I will only focus on good experiences here, and not on those yucky ones (hope wun encounter any this time round) so as to keep this t-blog with positive energy flow. :)

On 8/29/2014 at 10:36 AM, yc_mw said:

Have met up with Nicholas from Renoguyz. Quite happy with him, and also felt that there's good rapport. Only thing is he estimated a cost of $50-$60K, and I was quite happy with the estimated cost except that when the official Quotation came over in the night, it went up to $84K. Couldn't sleep the whole night man ~_~

Will meet up with Rix from Fuse Concept this week, and see how it goes from there.

To me, rapport & support is very important.

Have fixed 2nd appt with Space Define, Design Sense & Renoguyz next weekend. Should be able to finalise the reno soon. :)

On a sidenote, went to Suntec yesterday, saw Eubiq Roadshow, so, have purchase their home package liao. Woohoo!!!

Thank you for your honest review!