Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
libra04

Loft / Furniture Deck

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I am also looking for information regarding this.

According to my research:

URA: http://www.ura.gov.sg/dc/connect/connect11-02/helpful-04.html

URA has observed more lofts and furniture decks appearing in showflats and sales brochures. There have also been an increasing number of enquiries on whether planning permission is required for such lofts and furniture decks provided in residential units.

Lofts designed as furniture decks are generally regarded as “fixtures” if they are light-weight and do not form part of the structural elements of a building. As such loft proposals are intended to only be small resting areas within residential units, serviced apartments, commercial office units and hotels, they should be small and about the size of a normal bed. When designed this way, they will not require planning permission from URA. If in doubt, QPs and developers should submit the design and layout plan for URA’s evaluation first before indicating these structures in their sales brochures, or installing them in the showflats.

BCA: http://www.sisv.org.sg/Hottopic/e-news/LoftsBCRequirements_BCA_15Nov11.pdf

2 It is observed that ‘furniture decks’ are appearing in show-flats and sales brochures in buildings with high floor height. Usually, furniture decks, such as double-deck beds are built of lightweight materials for the sole purpose of sleeping. However, we have seen ‘furniture decks’ which are quite extensive, made of structural steel elements, and are being used for the functions of office and storage. As a result, we have received enquiries on the need for approval of plans of such lofts or intermediate floor decks by the Commissioner of Building Control under the Building Control Act. Concerns were also raised as to whether the existing structures could take the additional dead and imposed loads arising from these lofts and intermediate floor decks.

3 To ensure that the structural integrity of these buildings is not compromised, we have produced the following guidelines on the need for approval of plans for lofts or intermediate floor decks.

Building Control requirements with regard to the erection of lofts and intermediate floor deck

4 Loft or intermediate floor deck with plan area of 5m2 or less:
For a loft or intermediate floor deck with plan area of 5m2 or less, Building Plan and Structural Plan approvals by the Commissioner of Building Control are not required. However, the developer/owner is advised to check to ensure that the addition and usage of the loft or intermediate floor deck would not exceed the designed load capacity of the unit.

5 Loft or intermediate floor deck with plan area of more than 5m2:

For a loft or intermediate floor deck with plan area of more than 5m2, approvals of Building Plan and Structural Plan by the Commissioner of Building Control are required for the erection of such loft or intermediate floor deck. All building control requirements with regard to structural loading, ventilation, room height, headroom, staircase and provision of safety barriers shall be complied with.

Making provisions for loads from loft and intermediate floor deck

6 Where floor height is made high enough with the intention to allow for the addition of a loft or intermediate floor deck, developers are advised to inform their consultants to design the building structure, including foundation, for the additional loads imposed by the lofts or intermediate floor decks which could be built in future. For example, in residential development with high floor height that can be used as home office with addition of loft or intermediate floor deck in the units, the consultant should design for the following additional loads (over and above the normal design loads) on each floor:

a) a minimum imposed load of 1.5 kN/m2 to allow for imposed load on the loft or intermediate floor deck; plus

b) a minimum superimposed dead load of 1.0 kN/m2 to allow for the weight of the loft or intermediate floor deck.

7 Where a loft or intermediate floor deck is intended for usage other than residential occupancy class, the provision for additional imposed load and superimposed dead load due to the loft or intermediate floor deck should be increased accordingly.

Edited by dinitegrity

I am also looking for information regarding this.

According to my research:

URA: http://www.ura.gov.sg/dc/connect/connect11-02/helpful-04.html

URA has observed more lofts and furniture decks appearing in showflats and sales brochures. There have also been an increasing number of enquiries on whether planning permission is required for such lofts and furniture decks provided in residential units.

Lofts designed as furniture decks are generally regarded as “fixtures” if they are light-weight and do not form part of the structural elements of a building. As such loft proposals are intended to only be small resting areas within residential units, serviced apartments, commercial office units and hotels, they should be small and about the size of a normal bed. When designed this way, they will not require planning permission from URA. If in doubt, QPs and developers should submit the design and layout plan for URA’s evaluation first before indicating these structures in their sales brochures, or installing them in the showflats.

BCA: http://www.sisv.org.sg/Hottopic/e-news/LoftsBCRequirements_BCA_15Nov11.pdf

2 It is observed that ‘furniture decks’ are appearing in show-flats and sales brochures in buildings with high floor height. Usually, furniture decks, such as double-deck beds are built of lightweight materials for the sole purpose of sleeping. However, we have seen ‘furniture decks’ which are quite extensive, made of structural steel elements, and are being used for the functions of office and storage. As a result, we have received enquiries on the need for approval of plans of such lofts or intermediate floor decks by the Commissioner of Building Control under the Building Control Act. Concerns were also raised as to whether the existing structures could take the additional dead and imposed loads arising from these lofts and intermediate floor decks.

3 To ensure that the structural integrity of these buildings is not compromised, we have produced the following guidelines on the need for approval of plans for lofts or intermediate floor decks.

Building Control requirements with regard to the erection of lofts and intermediate floor deck

4 Loft or intermediate floor deck with plan area of 5m2 or less:

For a loft or intermediate floor deck with plan area of 5m2 or less, Building Plan and Structural Plan approvals by the Commissioner of Building Control are not required. However, the developer/owner is advised to check to ensure that the addition and usage of the loft or intermediate floor deck would not exceed the designed load capacity of the unit.

5 Loft or intermediate floor deck with plan area of more than 5m2:

For a loft or intermediate floor deck with plan area of more than 5m2, approvals of Building Plan and Structural Plan by the Commissioner of Building Control are required for the erection of such loft or intermediate floor deck. All building control requirements with regard to structural loading, ventilation, room height, headroom, staircase and provision of safety barriers shall be complied with.

Making provisions for loads from loft and intermediate floor deck

6 Where floor height is made high enough with the intention to allow for the addition of a loft or intermediate floor deck, developers are advised to inform their consultants to design the building structure, including foundation, for the additional loads imposed by the lofts or intermediate floor decks which could be built in future. For example, in residential development with high floor height that can be used as home office with addition of loft or intermediate floor deck in the units, the consultant should design for the following additional loads (over and above the normal design loads) on each floor:

a) a minimum imposed load of 1.5 kN/m2 to allow for imposed load on the loft or intermediate floor deck; plus

b) a minimum superimposed dead load of 1.0 kN/m2 to allow for the weight of the loft or intermediate floor deck.

7 Where a loft or intermediate floor deck is intended for usage other than residential occupancy class, the provision for additional imposed load and superimposed dead load due to the loft or intermediate floor deck should be increased accordingly.

I had also looked for this information, Thanks for sharing with us. Useful information.

• Like 1

Hi everyone

saw this post and hope someone can advise me... i recently collected keys to a new project. My unit has a high ceiling so wanted to build a platform for a bed. We kept to the URA guidelines (5 sqm, lightweight material etc) but the MCST rejected my ID application for a reno permit nonetheless. When asked, they replied that they have checked with the architect - was told no hacking of wall before CSC and building of lofts not allowed.

i am stuck. what should i do?

Thanks~

Hi 1cloudyday

Did you get the approval from the MCST in the end?

Curious to know the outcome as I have a similar plan to build a light weight loft less than 5 square meter for my apartment that is going to TOP soon.

I went to my friend's place just the other day and I saw her loft platform with staircase in her bedroom.  Quite cool.  She told me that the company who did that is something like<removed>

You can check it out.