Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
pantoufle

Buying Car For Father In Law?

As a daughter in law, do we have to buy a car for our father in law to use even if we will end up having zero savings for our children?

I'll never get to drive the car and he wants a 2 year old car at least. I have already bought a hdb and the parents in law moved in with us. We also live across the street from the mrt station where there's NTUC, cold storage and a shopping mall. Inside the multi storey car park near the mrt also has four share ride cars. Technically,we don't need a car.

I know that we should take care of them but does this extend to buying a car for them especially when it's so expensive nowadays and we'll never get to use the car?

It's also complicated by the fact that my mother in law has stroke and she has anxiety taking public transport on a wheel chair. But she only goes out once a week and it doesn't justify owning a car. We can rent a share car for an hour or so.

My father in law uses the car to drive to work, me and my husband has to take public transport. He also uses it to buy groceries and hawker food that my mother in law or he likes.

Technically i think he should pay for his own car since he's the main user but they told me not to be so calculative. Do you guys think I should sacrifice my childrens savings just to get a car for my parents in law? Is this my responsibility? Is giving them money every month and letting them move in not enough as a good daughter in law?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Just tell him that both of you don't have extra cash to buy a car. All the cash use up buy insurance policy already. Then tell him to be understanding.

I second therat's question.

On the face of what you wrote, your Father-in-law has a job and therefore own income, stays with you and your husband and presumably does not have to pay rent.

If it's a job requirement to have a car, it's the responsibility of his company to supply it or pay for it. If driving is not part of his job requirement, then a car is a luxury. Should you fund this luxury, even if you have excess income?

Without further context, it's just a superficial reasoning, but basic common sense tells screams "freeloader!"

Well, at first, my hubby and I were planning to buy a car after we moved in to our new place. but with the high COEs recently, that plan has become really a luxury item, and we realized that our savings might not be sufficient to buy a car after all. Also, we bought a place near the MRT station so we thought we wouldn't need a car.

When we talked about not getting a car with my FIL, apparently he was very against the idea and to him, not having a car is impossible (older generation). He's also worried that when I get pregnant, I will also need a car. But I definitely want to try to get along without a car since we can barely afford a car nowadays. With a price tag of $110K and 50% downpayment, I must say that the majority of the Singapore population will not be able to afford a car. So I was hoping to get by with taxi and MRT which I think worries my FIL, since it can get pretty crowded during peak hours.

So right now, I've discussed with my hubby and we'll probably buy a used car (5 years old) and split the cost 50-50 between my FIL and us. BTW, my FIL only works part time cos he has to take care of my MIL. I hope that this is a win-win arrangement.

How can financing of car be shared in this way?

- downpayment/monthly instalment/yearly insurance/road tax/carpark/maintenance/summons/washing....

all these need 'agreement' if to have >1 owner! Otherwise, am sure would end up in 'sorrow state'.

Arguments over usage at what time/place....also headache..

Why planting the 'fire source'?

Either you pay all, or he pays all! Take it or leave it!

How can financing of car be shared in this way?

- downpayment/monthly instalment/yearly insurance/road tax/carpark/maintenance/summons/washing....

all these need 'agreement' if to have >1 owner! Otherwise, am sure would end up in 'sorrow state'.

Arguments over usage at what time/place....also headache..

Why planting the 'fire source'?

Either you pay all, or he pays all! Take it or leave it!

Agree

This sharing suggestion is open a can of worm.