Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi,

Any one who has installed a home projector at home? ie., replace TV with projector? I plan to buy and install a home projector and do away my TV. I heard now the projectors are cheaper than buying LED TVs and also they have improved in technology.

Any recommendation where to buy? and any good suggestion for a basic home theater system setup and installation?

Thanks in advance.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I used to have a projector with fixed screen in my Sengkang flat (living room), no TV. Gonna renovate my parent's flat and set up a home theater in the living room too. System all bought and sitting in boxes waiting to be set up :D

Projector gives you more bang for bucks when it comes to image size. Cost is also likely to be much cheaper too unless you buy the high end sets. A very decent HT projector can give you HD resolution + 3D; 2D qualities range from good to excellent. Bulb life span averages a few thousand hours and it's cheap to replace.

Some considerations you may wanna keep in mind:

- how much ambient light control you have (affects image quality)

- ease of operating (old folks may just wanna press a button to watch tv)

- available throw distance via-vis screen size

- aesthetics (boxy floorstanders or wall/ceiling mounted? Or sound bar?)

List can be long depending on how particular you are :)

What's your expectation and budget? Range can be very wide :)

• Like 1

I used to have a projector with fixed screen in my Sengkang flat (living room), no TV. Gonna renovate my parent's flat and set up a home theater in the living room too. System all bought and sitting in boxes waiting to be set up :D

Projector gives you more bang for bucks when it comes to image size. Cost is also likely to be much cheaper too unless you buy the high end sets. A very decent HT projector can give you HD resolution + 3D; 2D qualities range from good to excellent. Bulb life span averages a few thousand hours and it's cheap to replace.

Some considerations you may wanna keep in mind:

- how much ambient light control you have (affects image quality)

- ease of operating (old folks may just wanna press a button to watch tv)

- available throw distance via-vis screen size

- aesthetics (boxy floorstanders or wall/ceiling mounted? Or sound bar?)

List can be long depending on how particular you are :)

What's your expectation and budget? Range can be very wide :)

Hi,

Thanks for your inputs.

Can you please share the projector you bought? Im looking at BenQ1070 or Epson EH-TW5200.

I am planning to couple it with a simple home theater system comprising of:

1. Onkyo Amplifier either 626 or 727 or Sony STR-DN1050 coupled with some simple and cute speakers Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1

What do you think?

My W1070 has been sitting in a corner since Apr wating to be unboxed lol

Epson is LCD projector if I recall correctly; both projectors have rave reviews at this price range. It's your preference really. May wanna consider the sitting area and viewing distance. Can the projector give you your desired screen size with its zoom capability? You wanna try to avoid setting the zoom at either both extreme. Also will you be viewing more of 2D or 3D?

I chose 1070 cos my setup will be temporary, and in living room where there will be some ambient light. I like the DLP image better than LCD. Will eventually get a JVC when I shift to my new house in 2yrs time. It will be a dedicated viewing area with anamorphic screen.

Try to research and dont rush into buying first. I'm no guru and is trying to catch up with HT from where I left 10yrs ago :o I can help better if you ask about car audio :P

cheers!

• Like 1

My W1070 has been sitting in a corner since Apr wating to be unboxed lol

Epson is LCD projector if I recall correctly; both projectors have rave reviews at this price range. It's your preference really. May wanna consider the sitting area and viewing distance. Can the projector give you your desired screen size with its zoom capability? You wanna try to avoid setting the zoom at either both extreme. Also will you be viewing more of 2D or 3D?

I chose 1070 cos my setup will be temporary, and in living room where there will be some ambient light. I like the DLP image better than LCD. Will eventually get a JVC when I shift to my new house in 2yrs time. It will be a dedicated viewing area with anamorphic screen.

Try to research and dont rush into buying first. I'm no guru and is trying to catch up with HT from where I left 10yrs ago :o I can help better if you ask about car audio :P

cheers!

I spoke to my ID about my idea of fixing a home projector instead of TV in living room - guess what, he drew a blank! lol! :dunno:

BTW, my plan is to have it in living room - so there will be some ambient light. Benq W 1070 seems to suit it better. But the sales man at Courts was telling me that LCD in Epson is brighter and image is sharper due to their own technology.

Another challenge is to fix it on the ceiling - and place the amp behind the seating area. So need to point the remote to the back wall instead of pointing it at the TV in front.

Lastly, running the speaker cables and positioning the speakers behind the screen. Did you use a permanent screen or one that rolls-up and down?

You gotta have a look at both to decide. I never like Courts/HN showroom's displays; their benchmark of sharpness and brightness beats me.

You can get an IR repeater to solve your concern. What screen are you getting? If speakers are behind screen, you need acoustically transparent screen in order not to affect the sound. Will be using a fixed screen in my setup. If you need electric screen, I can direct you to someone that can help.

Picked-up my home theater AV Receiver and speaker system from Alpha Audio @ Adelphi.

AV Receiver: Onkyo TX NR-636 with Dolby Atmos.

Speaker system: Boston Acoustics A2310 HTS 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System comprising of:

1. 4 each A 25 2-Way 5-1/4 " Bookshelf Speaker.

2. 1 each A 225C 2- way Dual 5-1/4” Center channel.

3. 1 each ASW 250 250-Watt Peak 10” Down-Firing Powered Subwoofer.

In addition, I chose 2 ceiling mounted speakers to make it 7.1:

4. 2 each Soundware XS 5.1 satellite speakers to be mounted on ceiling.

">http://gallery_62270_450_11234.jpg

">http://>gallery_62270_450_13711.jpg

Pending items to make the home theater projection system complete:

1. Projector

2. Projector Screen

How much for the set?

Picked-up my home theater AV Receiver and speaker system from Alpha Audio @ Adelphi.

AV Receiver: Onkyo TX NR-636 with Dolby Atmos.

Speaker system: Boston Acoustics A2310 HTS 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System comprising of:

1. 4 each A 25 2-Way 5-1/4 " Bookshelf Speaker.

2. 1 each A 225C 2- way Dual 5-1/4” Center channel.

3. 1 each ASW 250 250-Watt Peak 10” Down-Firing Powered Subwoofer.

In addition, I chose 2 ceiling mounted speakers to make it 7.1:

4. 2 each Soundware XS 5.1 satellite speakers to be mounted on ceiling.

">http://gallery_62270_450_11234.jpg

">http://gallery_62270_450_13711.jpg