Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
shirodka@gmail.com

Please Help: Need Recommendations For Contractor To Renovate Terrace House

Hi everyone, I'm a first time poster, hope to get some good advice here.

My father suffered a bad stroke at the beginning of this year and is now severely disabled. Prior to this he and my mother were completely independent and stayed alone in a 2 storey terrace house, while I stayed in my own apartment with my husband. Since his discharge, I've moved my parents and helper to my place to better take care of them, but it is a bit of a tight squeeze with so many people.

I would like to renovate their terrace house so we can all move back and stay together. Problem is, it's an old terrace, built in the 60s and was only lightly renovated once in the 80s. It's about 1800 sq feet with 3 rooms and 2 bathrooms upstairs, one small room, kitchen, dining, living room, car porch and back garden downstairs. My parents have stayed their all their lives and so did I until I married and moved out 15 years ago. So it's not in the greatest shape.

Here's a brief list of what needs to be done:

- I need to level the floor downstairs (kitchen, small room, toilet). There is a small room which can be converted to a bedroom, but there are several steps to negotiate to get there from the dining room, which makes it hard for wheelchair to get there. Don't want to build ramps.

- Renovate 3 bathrooms and re-do plumbing. The bathroom downstairs is next to the small room, but is not ensuite (must convert). Shower and water heater have to be installed. The 2 bathrooms upstairs are very old.

- Re-do the kitchen (carpentry, basins, cooker etc)

- Re-do the flooring upstairs (cost difference between parquet and laminate?)

- Install split system air-conditioning and ceiling fans for all rooms

- Roof works: repairs and water proofing

- Cement up the back garden

- Install new windows, doors and grills

- Update the electrical wiring, cable and internet/fibre

- Painting

I have never had to undertake a renovation project of this degree and if I'm honest, I'm not really sure how to go about it, but I think getting a good reliable contractor who has experience with old houses is a start, because I stay quite far away from their place and it's not going to be easy for me to be there all the time to supervise. Also it's my Dad's house so I need to be careful. Is an ID necessary? Is a contractor good enough?

I've already combed this forum for recommendations, and there are a few names out there but perhaps I could get a few updated suggestions?

Finally, what kind of damage am I looking at? Is it possible to get all this done for <100K?

Any other advice from gurus here would also be appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

My father suffered a bad stroke at the beginning of this year and is now severely disabled. Prior to this he and my mother were completely independent and stayed alone in a 2 storey terrace house, while I stayed in my own apartment with my husband. Since his discharge, I've moved my parents and helper to my place to better take care of them, but it is a bit of a tight squeeze with so many people.

I would like to renovate their terrace house so we can all move back and stay together. Problem is, it's an old terrace, built in the 60s and was only lightly renovated once in the 80s. It's about 1800 sq feet with 3 rooms and 2 bathrooms upstairs, one small room, kitchen, dining, living room, car porch and back garden downstairs. My parents have stayed their all their lives and so did I until I married and moved out 15 years ago. So it's not in the greatest shape.

- I need to level the floor downstairs (kitchen, small room, toilet). There is a small room which can be converted to a bedroom, but there are several steps to negotiate to get there from the dining room, which makes it hard for wheelchair to get there. Don't want to build ramps.

- Renovate 3 bathrooms and re-do plumbing. The bathroom downstairs is next to the small room, but is not ensuite (must convert). Shower and water heater have to be installed. The 2 bathrooms upstairs are very old.

- Painting

I have never had to undertake a renovation project of this degree and if I'm honest, I'm not really sure how to go about it, but I think getting a good reliable contractor who has experience with old houses is a start, because I stay quite far away from their place and it's not going to be easy for me to be there all the time to supervise. Also it's my Dad's house so I need to be careful. Is an ID necessary? Is a contractor good enough?

I've already combed this forum for recommendations, and there are a few names out there but perhaps I could get a few updated suggestions?

Finally, what kind of damage am I looking at? Is it possible to get all this done for <100K?

Hi, regarding your flooring, you can engage calvary carpentry pte ltd for their service. you can take a look at what projects they had done at following address http://www.calvarycarpentry.com or http://www.facebook.com/calvarycarpentry

- Painting

hi digital angel,

i have a contracor on my hand. he had just done up my BTO flat in woodlands and i am happy with his reno. do PM me for his contact number. :)

Cheers!

Guest eVidaSmarthome

hello digital angel,

Sorry to hear about your Dad's medical condition. Smart home control might help your parents regain their independent lifestyle, and alert you in times of emergency. If you would like to find out more please PM or email me at hello@evida.com.sg.

Digital Angel

i had just renovated my condo with an outdoor patio/ garden with spazio interior elements. good job, nice workmanship, designer's service with contractor price.

If you are still on a look out for renovations, feel free to PM me for the contact.

I will gladly recommend him to you.

Cheers...

Hi..

Sad to hear your dad sickness. I'm too also an stroke patient. Hope still can quote?

Possible to view your place and advise u where to place your dad the best. You can email me the jl.designncontract@gmail for appt.

Regards

Johnny

Guest Jet Looi

hip contractor, experience, team works, licensed and awarded Interior Design Company!

Thanks!

Edited by Yong Rui Tan

Hi ! Digital Angel,

Feel free to check out Design Perspektiv, they are currently handling a project for my mum. and I find them well versed in landed reovations works. Will PM you on their details.Thanks

- Painting

i would recommend my builder who did design & build for me at Bishan & Joo Chiat Semi.

they are efficient and honest.

you may reach them at kl.design@outlook.sg ( Kwong Long Building Construction Pte Ltd)