Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Rachel

Somewhat Scandinavian~ 2Room+Studio

Hello,

Been stalking this forum for about two weeks or so (not very long admittedly) and the wealth of knowledge and experiences shared (gosh. i foresee a head/heartache filled months ahead) have inspired me to start my own!

Back story: Dan (then Fiancé, now husband since #danchelwedding happened in Oct '13) and we put down the money (hem, thanks parents, for the loan) for our future home in November 2011... Still remember we went to the show room on Thursday.. and went back the next day to get our desired unit... impulsive much?! But no regrets anyway....

We initially wanted to get a 2 Bedroom unit, cause it suited our poor-young-unmarried-couple's budget.. but my dad (the frugal sort) said this dual key unit is quite interesting.. and my mom (the EVEN more frugal type) was okay with lending us extra $$ for the down-payment...(very good foresight this pair of parents.. their future home settled.. live with the daughter)

So we ended up with a 2 Bedroom+ studio dual key unit and here's our unit layout

b_150747.jpg

Back to the present: We started our ID hunt in late July :blink: kind of late considering we got the keys to our place in mid- August (so exciting! :sport-smiley-004: )... Now the pineapple has been rolled and salt/rice/tea scattered .... we are looking forward to transforming our #danchelhouse into #danchelhome ...

next post getting an ID...

ps: in my stalking, I didn't manage to spot any dual-key t-blog.. is there one but I've totally missed it?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

If i am not wrong it should be a Condo unit.

Have a friend staying at Esperia who have similar concept which I really love it

Loving the dual key layout.. Can stay tgt with family and yet have privacy also!!

Hope to see your reno progress soon :)

Hi Jane- we love it too! Can bluff ourselves that we have a big house when we planning to stay mostly in the 2BR side :thumbs up:

Which development is this? Have not seen any dual key unit in this forum before as most of them are either resale or BTO. Mine is also a dual key but TOP in 2016... looking forward to your post.

If i am not wrong it should be a Condo unit.

Have a friend staying at Esperia who have similar concept which I really love it

Hi Panda & Songz, its and Executive Condo, Arc @ Tampines (opposite Temasek Poly) - which/where is yours?

We already had a firm idea on how to utilize the space in our house ... Style wise we only knew not #modern/contemporary
Thus our ID hunt began in July this year at an expo fair .. which apparently, is a BIT too late to start .. Luckily it wasn't as scary as wedding fair #hardsellmax

#ID 1 Rupert@Living Gaia

Saw the display at their booth and we like their feature cabinet .. So we sat and discussed our requirements with Rupert(young-ish guy) for more than an hour! He told us an estimated sum, and said he will show us 2D and quote the next time we meet. Dan(D) went to visit Rupert to double confirm our requirements and pass him our floor plan .. 3rd meeting to get quote and floor plan... He was slightly late and he totally forgot what we discussed the prior 2 meetings... 2D was nothing like what we wanted ( very generic) and quote was maybe 10% relevant.. :furious: .We spent another 1.5 hours retelling him our requirements.. #givechance sad to say we didn't meet him again though cause #noconfidence in him anymore

#ID2 Buzz@Inzz Studio

Because we have #storagewoes, we decided that the common bedroom will have a platform/loft bed and the bottom area will be used for storage .. spotted a platform/loft bedroom designed by Buzz in a magazine and called him up to make an appointment on Sat and he met us on Sun #ontheball . Amongst all the IDs, he had the most experience, 7 years! (But.. he also said.. when ID tell you no. of years normally its inflated by 2 years :notti: found that super funny!) . We loved his office design (industrial) too! He is #verypractical (you really don't want to hack the wall between your toilets.. Too expensive..) thus has the vote of D +1. :x only ID with design fee -1? Some items on his quote was a bit ex, but he was amenable to negotiation ...

Buzz had previously signed up another 2 clients at my development.. So higher chance he will supervise on site often +1 ? 1 place 3 projects so #convenient .. Can give group discount ? Haha :P

#ID 3 @3DConceptwerke

This company was always at the back of my mind as their office design was attractive! Saw a couple of blogs on RT renovated by them, looks good too... Had a 30mins discussion and she said she will revert with possible design and quote... BUT NO Reply after 3weeks .. #turnoff #rudemax :bleah:

#ID 4 Butterpaperstudios

Chanced upon their blog ... Omg .. Totally love their designs! But #bobian they are too busy to take up any new jobs.. Thanks for replying promptly, no chance for me to raise my hopes up...

#ID 5 Cadmus @ Revamp

Their office space is at my neighbourhood central.. Done up in industrial style.. cement screed floor +1 edison bulbs +1, enticed D in for a chat.. He is creative and had several good ideas .. Also #practical.. He was a bit reluctant to give a quote which didn't give us a good impression .... when we did see the quote.. It was the lowest +1 ... Another +1 is that I actually found some good comments on RT about Cadmus at his previous company (only ID with review)

Only downside he goes like 'this? Okay one lah, no worries.. That? No problem, trust me ' a bit too chin chye/boastful .. #givesmedoubts :wacko:

#ID 6 JY @ 9 Creations

Their office is close to my parents's workplace .. easier to follow up (chase :x) if we need anything ... JY is a nice guy and is able to meet our requirements.. Said he will go to our place to open door for workers everyday +1.. Only thing is he hasn't done any Scandinavian /industrial design... - 1 ... Also his quote for our required platform bed is #astronomical :jawdrop: -1

Actually during the ID hunt.. D had already created his own 3D design and we almost wanted to go the contractor route and forego any ID. So....

Contractor 1

I wasn't at the meeting.. But D told the contractor what we required.. Quote came a few days later .. Price similar to the quotes from ID ... #nopoint

No more #energy to hunt for more ID ... between Buzz/Cadmus/ JY... We found it easy to communicate with all of them and they each have their + & -.....

Lesson : there is no perfect ID ... (or maybe it should be: look harder if you want a perfect ID)

Result: Dilemma :dunno: ..... Guess who we chose in the end?

My partner and I also also looking for a Scandi/Industrial/Minimalist theme and it's such a coincidence that we just went to see JY from 9creations last night! He seems like a nice guy and I did not realise that he had not done any Scandi/Industrial design before... He seems like he knows exactly what we were talking about.. TIO PIAN!?!?! :dunno:

We are waiting for his quotation to see if he meets our budget.

Looking for ID's is one of the most soul sapping, energy draining activities!.. zomg.. can die! Anyway, jia you!! Looks like you have picked out your fav! We have hardly shortlisted any to be honest. :( The search continues... ...

Hmm...I guess Buzz@Inzz Studio? :lol:

Hi, cch93624... was I that obvious? Virtual cookie for guessing correctly! :lol:

My partner and I also also looking for a Scandi/Industrial/Minimalist theme and it's such a coincidence that we just went to see JY from 9creations last night! He seems like a nice guy and I did not realise that he had not done any Scandi/Industrial design before... He seems like he knows exactly what we were talking about.. TIO PIAN!?!?! :dunno:

We are waiting for his quotation to see if he meets our budget.

Looking for ID's is one of the most soul sapping, energy draining activities!.. zomg.. can die! Anyway, jia you!! Looks like you have picked out your fav! We have hardly shortlisted any to be honest. :( The search continues... ...

Hi Lydia, so did you guys shortlist him in the end after seeing his quotation? (If his quote was just a little lower, we might have gone with him..)

Some pictures of the house, all original fixtures

Studio side:

First thing upon entering main door; the kitchen with induction hob

15523827429_2f53320224_z.jpg

Living room

r90_b_131648.jpg

Bedroom (the room with the nicest view amongst all the rooms)

r90_b_131656.jpg

Sliding door that separates bedroom and living room

15685987156_80185e28f4_z.jpg

The wall area suggested for TV placement is the tiny wall between the doors and the balcony, have to mount the TV on a pole?! Considered replacing the door with a smaller one, so the walls for living room and bedroom can be longer and TV can be mounted.. But D likes existing door so we are keeping it

Edited by Rachel

Hi Rachel,

Like to check with you the workmanship upon receiving the unit. Was there a lot of defects that needed rectification? Heard of a lot of problem with Hoi Hup Sunway projects. First glance I see yours isn't too bad although I noticed is few defect markers you've pasted on the kitchen cabinets. Hope they've bucked up and improved on quality after the complaints for Peak and Vacanza. My new place is by them as well and will TOP soon also.