Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Rosicky

Hopefully Scandinavian

I have been a follower of this wonderful forum for a long time, a quick check on my profile shows that I am a member since 2004! That was when I am renovating the current place that I am staying. Time flies and it has been 10 years, and it’s time for a mid-life upgrade. There are several challenges, thus I named the blog “Hopefully” as I am not sure if I will succeed. I will be hiring a contractor, thus I will be the “designer”. :sport-smiley-018:

Challenges:

1. Budget. After long discussion with CFO, the budget was set at $20k. With an upgrade to a system 4 air-con a cardinal requirement, effective balance is only 16k.
  2. Coordination. As we will be staying in for the renovation, extra effort will be required for the coordination to minimize disruption and stress to the residents (wife, 3 schooling kids, helper)
  3. Theme. After browsing through the tons of information in the t-blogs, I must say that I like the “Scandinavian” look. The challenge for me is how I can achieve this without making major changes to existing infra and within budget.

Scope of Work

1. L-Box & Plastering for 3 bedrooms
  2. Vanishing of Parquet for 3 Bedrooms
  3. Glass Partition to create new study room
  4. Laminate floor for Study
  5. Sliding door for Balcony
  6. Lay wood decking for Balcony (6m x 1.5m) :jawdrop:
  7. Brick tile for TV wall
  8. Shoe Cabinet
  9. Cabinet for Master Toilet
  10. New System 4 Aircon
  11. Retrofit Oven and additional Kitchen Cabinets
  12. New Wardrobe

The following is my floor plan just to get the ball rolling. It’s a 5A unit @ 136sqm. I had made some changes to the layout during the last reno by hacking away half the store room to create a new entrance to the kitchen.

floorplan.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Rosicky, welcome back to Renotalk and thanks for your great support!

We remember you as our Renotalk Pioneers :)

Do post up your renovation progress for us to follow

• Like 1

Need advise on lighting... :dunno:

Did a draft estimate, and realize that that I will need around 39 LED down-lights! As I intend to buy from Taobao, the material course is not too high. But the installation and wiring could kill me? If per point cost me $25, then I will need to cater for around $1k just for lights!

Anyone can advise if the plan below is overkill? Can reduce? :(

lighting.jpg

Welcome back to Renoblog and congrats on the upgrade

My view is that the Living Room & Rooms downlight seem a bit too much.

Hope this helps.

It do looks like you have too much downlights.

by the way, perhaps you will like to reconsider the bed position for bedroom 3. its not good to have a sharp corner pointing towards the occupant while sleeping. and it might be noisy for the person to rest as the tv is just one wall away.

Need advise on lighting... :dunno:

Did a draft estimate, and realize that that I will need around 39 LED down-lights! As I intend to buy from Taobao, the material course is not too high. But the installation and wiring could kill me? If per point cost me $25, then I will need to cater for around $1k just for lights!

Anyone can advise if the plan below is overkill? Can reduce? :(

lighting.jpg

That is cheap for your lighting points. Mine is $40 per point.

It do looks like you have too much downlights.

by the way, perhaps you will like to reconsider the bed position for bedroom 3. its not good to have a sharp corner pointing towards the occupant while sleeping. and it might be noisy for the person to rest as the tv is just one wall away.

Thanks mummychua and songz, think i will reduce the number of downlights.

Hi Bianzi, $25 is my own estimate, $40 sounds a lot?! Is this the going rate? :huh:

Time to post some pics of the current condition, starting from the living and kitchen areas. :good:

Panoramic view of the living/foyer area

PicsArt_1409564788213.jpg

Living Area

Currently the TV is in another corner of the house and this area is not heavily utilised. The idea is to shift the TV to the yellow wall, with white brick walls. The sliding door for balcony will be replace with top hung folding types, and full wood decking for the balcony. Hopefull this will create a clean, open, airy feel.

living.jpg

Foyer

The partition at the foyer will be removed to make way for a shoe cabinet. There will be an L shaped sitting area on the perpendicular wall.

foyer.jpg

Study Room

The current TV corner will be converted into a study room. the platform will be removed and replace with laminate flooring. Tempered glass will be used for the partitioning.

study.jpg

Kitchen

Some enhancement to the kitchen. First is to modify current tall boy unit to incorporate a build in oven and microwave.

kitchen_oven.jpg

Will also be building a new cabinet encapsulating the fridge to create more storage.

kitchen_fridge.jpg

Edited by Rosicky

Shopping for Fan in Malaysia

Just came back from 3D2N staycation in Johor. While wifey and the kids are at Hello Kitty land, I took a 3 hours round trip to Tampoi with a local guide (fren staying in jb). Had planned to get the KDK sensa 4 and the KDK baby, but end up buying 5 made in Malaysia fan.

1. 3 x Deka Baby G @ RM$185 each

2. 1 x Alpha SW8-5b 56" @ RM$373

3. 1 x Alpha SW8-5b 40" @ RM$299

Total damage RM$1194, about SGD$475 for 5 fans. :deal:

I bought the alphas from Tampoi Lighting, while the Dekas are marketed by Starworld, which is at the other corner of the same building. I believe I might had bought all 5 deka if I had went there first, as the price is much cheaper than Alpha, which is a more establish brand. But nonetheless, the alpha do look better finished. For those interested, Tampoi carries KDK, Alpha, Fanco and Elmark, while Starworld only have Deka. Both brands are winner of Malaysia super brand awards. Another thing to note is that they only accept cash for KDKs.

Lugged the 3 Dekas back today, while the 2 Alphas are with my friend, who will help to bring in for me another day.

PicsArt_1410008098203.jpg

Like the design of the Alpha SW8 over the KDKs.

Product%20-%20AlphaFan%20SW8-5B%20PWT-80

Chose the gun metal black color for all 5 fans. The deka brand was recommended by my fren who installed them at his JB house. They are quiet and reasonably windy, so far no issues reported after 1 year. The Baby G model also come with a led light variant, but cost 100rm extra.

aysia-web_pro_banner_Deka-CF-BabyG.jpg

Edited by Rosicky

Has been researching and getting quotes for my balcony folding panels. Anyone has done plantation louvers? Dun seems to be a popular option in singapore? But I like the cosy feeling.

Project%20Leaders%20(2)(1).jpg

Had been busy getting quotations from contractors and 2 IDs. Consolidated the pricing from the shortlisted (cheaper) ID and the combination of contractors. Likely to go for ID for most of the items, and contractors so a couple of items. Please help to advice if the price is reasonable? Thanks in advance.

cost_compare.jpg

Has been researching and getting quotes for my balcony folding panels. Anyone has done plantation louvers? Dun seems to be a popular option in singapore? But I like the cosy feeling.

Project%20Leaders%20(2)(1).jpg

hunter douglas has this. but you wont want to spend that money. you can see the sample at the curtain shop i used: Fabrik Etc at bukit timah plaza.

hunter douglas has this. but you wont want to spend that money. you can see the sample at the curtain shop i used: Fabrik Etc at bukit timah plaza.

Yup, think its out of budget for me. Will be going for aluminium folding doors.