Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gryffindor

Replacing Led Downlights & Driver

I've heard that the drivers of LED downlights tend to break down after a couple of years (presuming you're getting a good one like Philips). So, how do you actually replace it? Is it possible to replace it without any professional help? Would you end up damaging the false ceiling? Are the drivers easily available?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

If you've not done it before or have not watch how the electrican have done it, better not. However, if you're a handyman and like DIY. It is rather simple job.

1. Ensure main supply is off (go to main circuit board & turn off the circuit breaker). Test to ensure there is no electicity e.g. no lights when on or with test pen.

2. Removed the casing and find the LED diver. For downlight, you'll have to remove the whole unit via cache or clips mechnism by the side.

3. Disconnect the wiring to the LED driver and replace with the new unit. There isn't any priority wiring diagrams for LED driver, and no ground wire required. Note: Lightings of different dimension may requires additional drilling, cutting or plastering of the false ceiling.

Hope this helps ..thanks Christopher

thanks for the detailed instructions. I think its doable for me. Just thinking whether I should use those LED cfl lights instead since it would be much faster to replace. However, my id says that would mean a thicker false ceiling... sigh...decisions decisions.

While removing the downlight from the false ceiling, I suggest that you wear some kind of eye protector to avoid particles from dropping into your eyes while looking upwards. It's also good to have someone to hold a vacuum cleaner close to the downlight that you are removing. Otherwise the particles will just flying around in the air.