Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
trishting

Tapping On Ids' Design But Not Using Them

hi guys,

i'll be collecting my keys soon to my really old 3I resale hdb. i know a contractor who will help me do the hard work - i.e.: renovation. but he's obviously not the most design-savvy person.

will IDs be able to give me ideas for the flat layout and design if i don't sign up with them? i.e.: i simply tap on their vast knowledge and expertise, but not get them to do the reno for me. do they usually charge for that?

thanks!

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

From what I read in other blogs, you can engage separate ID and contractor. Not sure whether ID will do the work unless you engage them. Maybe an alternative if you do not want to engage ID isto investigate what you want for the design and then get your contractor to execute.

If you have past experience to coordinate a renovation, engaging direct contractor will save you some cost. However, lots of time and effort will be required cos a lot of decision making on site is required, if decision is made over phone, wrong decision might be made if you do not have experience to make the right call, which will usually result to double job or extra expenses due to take out and redo, especially if installation sequence is wong, etc.

A lot of knowledge involved when renovating a house, and thus an experienced ID not only serves as a consultant on the design part, he is also the coordinator for your house. Nowadays, with the technology, experienced ID will create dropbox/Goodle Drive to update all necessary info into there for sharing purposes, and even create whatsapp group chat to update progress with pictures. Quite hassle free for owner cos will be able to receive good sensing on the site progress. Advice will also be given at various stage when to do what, and when to buy what, and given the recommended dimension of certain off the shelf items so that all are well incorporated into the design.

Just my 5cents worth. If interested can PM me for contact ya. :)

• Like 1

You can send your floor plans to the various ID companies.

They will give you a layout of the things. Note that no color and 3D drawings will be given.

Alternative you can try go on websites to find ideas.

Hope this helps

My brother tried engaged direct contractor trying to save some cost, end up disaster... My advice is to spend a bit more and let a designer do the job for you, unless you are not working or have people to go to your renovation place daily to see what is going on.

I consulted afew IDs on how to utilize the space in my foyer and most did gave me suggestions and simple space planning. No 3D though, unless you sign with them.

My brother tried engaged direct contractor trying to save some cost, end up disaster... My advice is to spend a bit more and let a designer do the job for you, unless you are not working or have people to go to your renovation place daily to see what is going on.

I think this is misleading since it makes it sound like there are no disasters (so to speak) if you engage a designer. No one has the stats to back up which one occurs more frequently.

Disasters can happen, whether or not it is led by contractor or a designer. And money doesn't necessarily solve the problem.

Sorry to disagree so bluntly.

Do a meet-ups with various id at your flat and ask them to propose a plan. After the meetup, take note of what they say and voila you will have the input and knowledge from the various ids.

hi guys,

i'll be collecting my keys soon to my really old 3I resale hdb. i know a contractor who will help me do the hard work - i.e.: renovation. but he's obviously not the most design-savvy person.

will IDs be able to give me ideas for the flat layout and design if i don't sign up with them? i.e.: i simply tap on their vast knowledge and expertise, but not get them to do the reno for me. do they usually charge for that?

thanks!

How will you feel if you are the ID?

want free things / service .. may be can tried few things

1. dig up all your connect from Primary to all the way.. as long as you can.. see has any one work as ID.

Re connect the relationship and ask for free service

2. read up reno mag to get some idea

3. visit showflat to get some idea

4. if too lazy.. then visit IKEA to see their shown flat,

I chose contractor for his worksmanship but updates plus coordination can be quite messy...no nice plans laid out for u.. They will just do... And unless u ask them, they will not update ...

Hi

Just sharing my experience with the ID firms and Contractors I have met so far.

I noticed that the contractor price is not necessary lower than the ID. Some of them even quoted higher price.

Many IDs are nothing better than the contractor; as most IDs are unable to provide any design or renovation advice. They seem to be inexperience and not professionally "trained" in this field. On the other hand, many contractors I've met are able to give good renovation advice and sound experience.