Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
leen

Ready Made Curtains

Hi,

there are some really nice ready made curtains that are sewn with day and nite curtain together. but suggest you go around and look 1st.

juz to share with you guz on my experience with curtains and advices from many aunties who used and had curtain experience.

1st, to save money if you have a budget, is to buy ready made curtain. ready made curtain are not as bad as what we think they are. there are some really nicely done up ones.

2nd, installation of rods and racks are usually quite standard.

pricing ranging from S$3.50 - S$6 for normal wood rod. anything above S$6 is those fancy and nicer looking wood rod. but do bare in mind, normally visitors don't juz stand there and admire your curtain wood rod.

S$3.50 for rack type.

3rd, nowadays the in type is using organza for day curtain. similarly, in the past, ppl use lacy type or abit lacy type for day curtain. so if you don't mind, abit lacy type is worth your money if you are doing custom made. it has a english country feel.

4th, consider the durability of the material. for organza, it can be scratched, meaning you will see the fabric string been pulled or stretch juz like silk. so do consider this factor. can your curtain materials be machine washed or do you need to send for laundry service? izt easily cleaned or stained?

5th, do not only consider abt asthetic factor. did you guz consider how are often are you and how are you going to wash your curtains? usually, you will throw in your washing machine and wash but if its a too thick and heavy type, i think your washing machine will hv a hard type washing it clean.

6th, and how many sets of curtains are you going to hv? some may think 1 set is enough. but if its spoiled or washed, do you need changing curtains?

7th, steps to ask for curtain quotation:

a) measure your window size

b) measure your window + the top, bottom, left and right wall size

c) look up yellow pages and send them fax / emails / call them up for quotation

d) go to those shops to view their ready made curtains sample and custom made sample

e) go to nieghbourhood curtain shops, some may offer vy gd price and advice

8th, sizes do matter.

generally, half length and 1 layer of nite curtain only cost lesser.

other alternatives:

1) buy materials from spotlight, arab street textile shops etc., and get ppl to sew for you

2) diy yourself

3) go JB to buy

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I got all my curtain rods from Ikea. They are cheap.

As for ready made curtain I got most of them from Spotlight at Plaza Singapura. Prices are quite reasonable.

Total cost for the whole house (4A) is about $200+

Where can i find ready made curtains - abt L 297cm x H 266cm

most important is the height....

custom made curtains are abit ex....

How is the sewing charges for IKEA and Spotlight??

anyone bought ready made curtains & sewed 2 pcs together to make into 1 pc? wondering whether effect wld be bad cos need to cut cost, and windows are too big for the usual ready made curtains (1.45m width).

take your measurements then go toa payoh central, 2-3 curtain shops there with lots of ready made curtains(various sizes).

if really need to patch up - most wet market got aunties doing trousers alteration.

take your measurements then go toa payoh central, 2-3 curtain shops there with lots of ready made curtains(various sizes).

if really need to patch up - most wet market got aunties doing trousers alteration.

ya, mace is rite. try going to those neighbourhood shops, you will be surprise that they are infact cheaper than those curtain companies.

Hi,

I'm into ready-made curtains. I find that their design are pretty nice and pricing are reasonable too.

I just got mine from John Little Warehouse Sales.

2pieces of day curtains 13.90each (for living room only)

4pieces of night curtains 11.90each (for 2bedrooms)

All in one = S$75.40

Just need to purchase another 3sets of wooden rod and the case is closed for that.

wow... u really got yourself a gd deal.

btw, now is hari raya month and there are plenty of curtains displayed out at joo chiat area where the malay village is. and there are plenty of gd bargains right now. there are all sorts of designs and patterns for all racial group, ranging from malay, chinese, indians, ang mos...

do take this opportunity to go and visit and the best time is to go in weekday nights for this 2 weeks coz after that, it will be **** crowded... i bought my comtemporary design carpet from Ling carpet and this is what the boss told me.

i bought my curtains from Ikea, very cheap for overall as mine is corridor unit only do half length. Therefore need to alter the length only.

i bought my curtains from Ikea, very cheap for overall as mine is corridor unit only do half length. Therefore need to alter the length only.

i got my ready made velcro tab-top curtain with my son's favourite elephants from Jimmy Textiles at Joo Chiat! $28 for 50" x 66". 3 sets: $84.

another set faux silk wahtever frmo John Little $14.90 x 2 (coz i packet one panel only).

total curtain costs for 4 rooms : $200

but my balcony windows requires roller blinds or blinds of some sorts and that is going to cost a bomb!

Where can i find ready made curtains - abt L 297cm x H 266cm

most important is the height....

custom made curtains are abit ex....

How is the sewing charges for IKEA and Spotlight??

I have about the same dimension as your window. Very big size and buying curtains for such window size really scary - cost a major bomb to customise. Not easy to find ready made this size.

We went to IKEA to buy their ready made ones but because the width is standard 145cm, we ended up buying additional 2 panels so we can patch with a standard set. Just hung it up and honestly, I don't like the effect. Perhaps its my DIY sewing skills not up to standard. We had this done for the 2 common rooms. For living and master bedroom, we invested in IKEA's customised curtains. We paid about $420 for both of these rooms because the living room is using track and master is using rod. For the rod type curtains, because we chose to conceal the slots for the rod, sewing charges are more expensive than track ones. $10 per panel sewing chgs for track curtains and $15 per panel for concealed rod curtains. IKEA's staff will calculate the total panels you require after you give them the dimension of your windows. I must say workmanship is good, they outsource sewing anyway, IKEA don't make any money from this. They only earn if you buy the fabric from them.

Too bad, too many rooms, windows too big, I can't save and budget (sigh). My total investment on curtains alone in my 5-room "I" model unit came close to $600.

I am not as lucky as many of u guys cos I done my curtain at $720 for a 4 room unit...

Cos at first, I came to this forum to c c look look and many ppl here posted that their custom make curtain all is above 1k so due to my tight budget, I went for ready make curtain...

all my window are quite big and if were to use ready make curtain, the gaiters(dun know if correct spelling) will not be very obverse but thinking that its ok and after doing it, me kind of regret as ready make curtain can be really real cheaper then what I had got...

I dun blame the shop that I had brought my curtain from but just that I never do much research b4 I buy...

And what I think that my curtain is that x maybe its due to its a 3 in 1 function meaning that can use on track, rod and the other 1 i forget liao...

Now I am thinking of getting another cheaper set with darker colour :bangwall:

hi teen or anybody,

i was wondering if i could get some advice from you regarding custom-made curtains.

i would like to have curtains made for my new 5-room flat but got no idea as to how the process is nowadays as compared to my mother's time.

basically, how should i start?

should i go to a shop and ask the guy to come to my place to have measurements taken and tell him what sort of racks i like, go to his shop to select the material and then obtain a quotation?

or should i take the measurements of the windows myself and approach shops to ask for quotations with a particular type of curtain material and racks in mind?

please advise and any information would be appreciated. please also pardon me for sounding clueless.

hi teen or anybody,

i was wondering if i could get some advice from you regarding custom-made curtains.

i would like to have curtains made for my new 5-room flat but got no idea as to how the process is nowadays as compared to my mother's time.

basically, how should i start?

should i go to a shop and ask the guy to come to my place to have measurements taken and tell him what sort of racks i like, go to his shop to select the material and then obtain a quotation?

or should i take the measurements of the windows myself and approach shops to ask for quotations with a particular type of curtain material and racks in mind?

please advise and any information would be appreciated. please also pardon me for sounding clueless.

measure the total length of your windows - take it down

window 1 = xxx

window 2 = xxx

Add 2inch to both sides for the curtain rod - total 4 inch minimum.

Go to any curtain shop and they will point to you which one to get.