Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mokz88

Our Humble Beginning

Just got ourselves a resale EA... Been married for 2 years... got a 13 month old gorgeous son... So its time to have our own home...

So we begin searching for a resale flat some where in 1st quar 2014. Got hooked to a nice place in Pasir Ris in May.

Nice EA... quiet surrounding... Corner Unit... High floor... Spacious... So signed in the dotted lines... Done...

15000421167_fcc0bf918b_z.jpgOriginal Floor Plan

Edited by mokz88

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Flat was 22 yrs. old... We are the 3rd owner... 2nd owner didn’t do much... so basically, its going to be a total overhaul for the flat.. But 2nd owner was nice family. They gave us the keys to house to bring the IDs to view as the house was already vacant ever since May 2014.

Initial budget was $30k!!! Basically, we couldn’t get anywhere with $30k in an EA. So it just when above double the budget…

Got our keys on the 1st Sept 2014.

Selection Of ID

I honestly tot that selecting a house is tough... But choosing an ID is double toughness!!! Everyone with their own rhythm which we had to follow the tempo!!!

As I was overseas most of the time, I starting selecting ID in Ramadan, the Muslim fasting month…when I was back. So we met ID like in the mid-day… Even at night… We met almost 15 odd IDs!!!

This came to a final selection to just 3 IDs.

1st ID – Met him at Expo. Super nice chap… Very honourable I should say. Price wise was abit on the mid to high range. But quality is wonderful.

2nd ID – Slightly older guy… Knows his stuffs well too. But not so much on holding on to his words or promises. Luckily, I realised this before signing anything.

3rd ID – Super young guy… Came on the very last minute with a low price with freebies… Funny thing was I was dumb enough to actually get him. Went to his office on National Day eve. Was discussing, negotiating till 2am!!! I had to sign the papers & get going with my loan as I was expected to leave for overseas again on the 10th Aug. During discussion, price was set at $58k. He haven’t seen my place yet. It was just thru the drawings. Supposed to meet on the 9th Aug at my place to sign the letters. 9th Aug at 10am saying that there’s a diff in the price. Now its $61.5k. Was annoyed to the max. Can’t be trusted. But decided to forgive & forget. I am a Normal & simple human being J… Went for him. Told him that most coordinating will be done with my darling… As I will always be away…

The story continues...

So I left for overseas… Still trying to coordinate thru Skype or watsapp. So ard 10 days after signing, I fell in love with the legrand malia switches & sockets series… In the initial quote, they were giving the MK series. Plain white ones…. So I told him that I wanted to change a few, not all. He got back to me saying that I have to buy it myself & they will fix it, but no deduction in the pricing. so I told him, basically its deducting the number of sockets or switches but no change in amount. How is that even possible… So now I ask him, what if I add sockets & switches, are you going to stick to the same price or add to it!!! lol… So I got abit pissed & just ask him simply, are you interested in doing my house reno…

To my surprised!!! The Grand ANSWER WAS “I HAVE THOUGHT TWICE; I AM NOT INTERESTED IN DOING YOUR HOUSE”!!! Wow… I was taken aback here. So I told him, send me an official email & get your manager to call me. So came the manager, another Kuku, “I will look into the quote & get back to you” . The next day the manager sent me a watsapp msg saying that he was sick & won’t be calling me. So I voice out my concerns that he needs to take this seriously & I want to settle this whole issue ASAP. He called me saying that he will take up the whole project. I said NO! How do you want me to trust you & your company after all that happened?

I am rather lucky that we havent started the reno & I was waiting for the cheques from the banks & the initial depo was only $100!!!

So a few days later my ID called my apologising, I told him tat now the decision is in my wife, as there was plans to meet up to choose tiles & such… My wife was pretty upset…

I told him to send me the official cancelation letter. So after 3 days, no letter or msg.. When I msg him, he said his admin is preparing it. I took the chance & called the admin, she know nothing about the letter. L So she said she will get her manager will call me back.

Now, Account Manager called me, asking me on why I am cancelling the project with the company… I said to her is this the 1st time she’s hearing this, she said YES!!! I had to go 1 whole big round & explained everything to her. So she came saying, contractual wise, if you were to break the contract, the penalty will be 10% of the whole amount quoted. So I told her, its your ID who cancelled, not me. & now you are telling me to take a senior ID. Can I trust you guys? & where were you since the day your ID called off the project? So she agreed after getting approval from the director to cancel off the project at no charges… My deposit will be returned too.

The story continues...

My final floor plan!!! Will be hacking the kitchen wall to make an open concept kitchen... Abit of the MBR & opposite room to make an entrance to change the position of the rooms doors. The initial floor plan was having the doors in the living area. Didn’t like that idea. Store won’t be there also. I will be making a built in store in the study room. Just sliding door & racks inside it. Simple & hidden too....

So feel free to pass my your comments... Any better idea would be good...

Without Furniture

15191998515_3a5a6a17ff_z.jpgNew Floor Plan Plain

With Furniture

15000417417_9591264d8f_z.jpgNew Floor Plan With Furniture Layout

Edited by mokz88

So I left for overseas… Still trying to coordinate thru Skype or watsapp. So ard 10 days after signing, I fell in love with the legrand malia switches & sockets series… In the initial quote, they were giving the MK series. Plain white ones…. So I told him that I wanted to change a few, not all. He got back to me saying that I have to buy it myself & they will fix it, but no deduction in the pricing. so I told him, basically its deducting the number of sockets or switches but no change in amount. How is that even possible… So now I ask him, what if I add sockets & switches, are you going to stick to the same price or add to it!!! lol… So I got abit pissed & just ask him simply, are you interested in doing my house reno…

To my surprised!!! The Grand ANSWER WAS “I HAVE THOUGHT TWICE; I AM NOT INTERESTED IN DOING YOUR HOUSE”!!! Wow… I was taken aback here. So I told him, send me an official email & get your manager to call me. So came the manager, another Kuku, “I will look into the quote & get back to you” . The next day the manager sent me a watsapp msg saying that he was sick & won’t be calling me. So I voice out my concerns that he needs to take this seriously & I want to settle this whole issue ASAP. He called me saying that he will take up the whole project. I said NO! How do you want me to trust you & your company after all that happened?

I am rather lucky that we havent started the reno & I was waiting for the cheques from the banks & the initial depo was only $100!!!

So a few days later my ID called my apologising, I told him tat now the decision is in my wife, as there was plans to meet up to choose tiles & such… My wife was pretty upset…

I told him to send me the official cancelation letter. So after 3 days, no letter or msg.. When I msg him, he said his admin is preparing it. I took the chance & called the admin, she know nothing about the letter. L So she said she will get her manager will call me back.

Now, Account Manager called me, asking me on why I am cancelling the project with the company… I said to her is this the 1st time she’s hearing this, she said YES!!! I had to go 1 whole big round & explained everything to her. So she came saying, contractual wise, if you were to break the contract, the penalty will be 10% of the whole amount quoted. So I told her, its your ID who cancelled, not me. & now you are telling me to take a senior ID. Can I trust you guys? & where were you since the day your ID called off the project? So she agreed after getting approval from the director to cancel off the project at no charges… My deposit will be returned too.

The story continues...

OMG, this is exactly what happened to me. But I didnt get my deposit back. I stick to the same company after talking to their GM, he suggested to change a different ID. Sigh~ BOTH are equally the same type of "heart-breakers".

Hi mokz88,

lucky for you the reno havent started, reading your reno blog also make me pissed off with this kind of work attitude from an ID.

Hope you find the suitable ID for your reno soon!!

Hi, hope u've gotten yourself another ID. Otherwise, if you are interested. Can PM me for my ID's contact.

So far so good with him, in terms of communication, costs, schedule etc...

Can see you are going for a modern victorian theme? I just saw my ID's company portfolio of one!

All the best for your upcoming reno