Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Wishie

5Rm Bto@greenwalk - Simple & Budget

Hi All,

Finally decided to write down my reno journey. Not a fan of writing/blogging but I'll try to note down as detail as possible. Also, pardon my lousy english >.<

Here's some photos of the unit.

Doggy guarding our maindoor

20140210_133313_LLS.jpg

From Entrance

20140309_165147_LLS.jpg

Living Room

20140309_165251_LLS.jpg

Kitchen

20140309_165216_LLS.jpg

Hallway

SAM_0519.jpg

Room 1

20140511_163846.jpg

• Like 2

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Room 2

20140511_163923.jpg

Masterbedroom

20140511_164038.jpg

Masterbedroom toilet

SAM_0539.jpg

Commonroom toilet

SAM_0522.jpg

Pretty standard BTO layout. For some reason, the toilet is freaking big.. I would rather they allocate some of these spaces for the pathetic rooms.

Now that we have seen how the house looks like. It's time to decide what we want. Luckily my htb is quite chin chai, so I've become the main decision maker. We've decided that we don't want tv feature wall and false ceiling, L-box ect.

Main concern that will determine what we will do

- Budget

- Practical

Must have

- Tiles

- Kitchen cabinets

- Full height Shoes cabinets/altar cabinet

- Full height mirror @ dining area

- Shower screen @ both toilets

- MBR platform for bed

- MBR Wardrobe

- CRM 2 Wardrobe

- Painting

Good to have

- Custom study table in MBR

- Top @ Bottom TV console

- Toilet basin cabinet

- Toilet mirror cabinet

- Window Grills

We know that cost will increase once renovation starts, hence our initial budget has to be below 20k. Though we figured that ID won't be able to cut our budget, we still decide to go ahead and meet a few of them.

To be continue...

So I started sending out request for quotation on website, and meeting some of them who actually did send me a quotation. Most of them just call and ask me to go down to their shop and we can talk =.=. If I have time to go talk one by one, why do I still use the website!

Anyway I've receive quotation ranging from 23k to 31k. All exceed my budget by alooooot. Now that we have more knowledge about what to expect, after talking to quite a few ids, probably because we know what we wanted to do, the IDs didn't suggest anything that can impress us (maybe because our budget is low and they don't care? Just do what we know lor?), it's time to find contractor next.

I emailed a few of the contractors I found on this forum, immediately upon receiving the quotation, you can see the huge difference compare to IDs. This time round, I didn't follow up as much as I did for IDs as we're getting tired, we end up choosing the contractor that was recommended by my friend.

Reason:

- Lowest quotation I received - give me quarts instead of solid top and 18ft bottom kitchen cabinet, 9ft top, much more then the standard 10ft top bottom, yet still cheaper than the rest.

- Recommended by my best buddy hence less worry that he will run away~ though my friend did warn me that he's doesn't have much design sense, he can get the work done but you will have to know what you want.

- Upon meeting up and chatting with him, find him quite nice

In the end, this is what I'll be doing

1. supply re-lay homogeneous floor tiles sise. 600x600mm living and dining hall way

2. construct cement base kitchen ,washing machice, fridge base c/w lay tiles

3. construct cement kerb in 2 toilet c/w lay tiles

4. supply install tempered glass 1 fix panel in master toilet

5. supply install tempered glass showen sliding door comm toilet

6. supply install pvc in/outlet pipe for kitchen sink and washing mschine

7. Labour to install water heater for 2 toilet

8. To box -up partition in Living hall wall

9. To open hole in 2 wooden door for master toilet and master bedroom

10. supply install soild plywood and full height mirror in dining hall

11. supply install full height 5ft shoe cabinet

12. To construct soild plywood platfom bed c/w lamines in master room

13. supply install 6ft study table

14. supply install full helght wardorbe sliding door 7ft

15. supply re-painting I.C. I paint for wall at ceiling

16. supply install kitchen cabinet top and bottom 28ft

17. supply install kitchen Indian quartz table top 18ft

18. supply install full height wardborbe in bedroom 2 sliding door 5ft

Total 19k

Flooring is for whole house, except for kitchen and toilets which are already done by hdb.

Lol item 9 is a dog door in MBR. Tired of opening the door for her everytime someone came home.

• Like 1

Flooring is for whole house, except for kitchen and toilets which are already done by hdb.

Lol item 9 is a dog door in MBR. Tired of opening the door for her everytime someone came home.

Interesting to see someone do a dog door. Need to think of something for mine too! Dog doors are all too small for a sheltie. haha

Yup, all the IDs I asked never do before and had to check with their contractor before they can get back to me lol. It's quite common overseas, though they probably do on their main door for the dog to go into the garden ect, but not in sg.. so i'm quite worried, not sure if he can do a good job as he seems uncertain until I show him some images i found online.

using-dog-doors%5B1%5D.jpg

Well, can only wait and see the result. *Finger crossed*

• Like 1

Continue

After we agreed on the quotation, we go ahead to choose the tiles. We were able to choose up to $3.20/psf tiles, in the end, the only tiles that we like cost $3.50/psf. My contractor agree to absorb the cost and we are done with tiles! :lol: Same design but 2 different tone. Lighter color will be in the living room, and the darker color in the bedrooms.

The funny thing is, nothing is signed on paper. He just email me the quotes and I agree verbally. Is that normal? I've read alot of stories here saying everything must be in black and white if not it's hard to get them to do ect. Feel like taking a big risk here >.<

Work started

20140531_115828.jpg

20140531_115915.jpg

20140531_115926.jpg

20140531_115843.jpg

to be continue..

Cute and happy maltipoo! Nice of you to incorporate dog-friendly features in your new place. Would your dog be ok to use the dog door? I think our eldest dog will not like it 🐶