Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
intonewlife

Home Sweet Home

The sourcing process starts after getting the keys and I have met 7-8 IDs and contractors for the past 2 weeks. Below are a list of 7-8 IDs and contractors I have met:

1) ID nos 1 (B)

She was recommended by my friend and the first IDs I have met nearly 2 weeks ago.

She was late for 30 mins for our appointment and she explained that it was due to the traffic jam. Anyway, it was very kind of her to fetch me from and back to the MRT station after the discussion.

During the discussion, she noted my requirement and she never comment anything. Felt quite disappointed as this was my first time meeting an ID and I expected more that that. Till now, she hadn't get back to me with her quotation. Fine.. she has been stroked off my list. Despite my friend appraised the work she has done for him and his friends. I prefer someone to be able to meet timeline and if unable to, at least update me the status.

2) ID nos 2 (J)

Met her at the fair.

A lady full of energy and friendly. She was able to understand my needs and not too pushy during the first meet up. After a week, she messaged me when to schedule for 2nd appointment. Pending to meet her this week. will update soon.

3) ID nos 3 (L)

Recommended by my friend's neighbour. Witnessed his workmanship in my friend's neighbour. It was tastefully done but not to my liking as there were too many mirrors and lights in the unit.

It was nice of him to meet me as I informed him that I preferred to him to meet on the day itself.

During the discussion, he was able to demonstrate his knowledge and gave suggestions/ideas. In addition, he showed some picture of past home that he had done.

He was also the one who able to deliver the detailed quotation on time. However, he did missed out 1 or 2 items I had informed him during the first meet up. Kinda of disappointed. He informed me that from Nov to Feb is peak period for them. (I was informed the same thing from other IDs and contractors). He did some marketing but not pushy.

4) ID nos 4 (M)

Get to know her through a blogger. She was ID for a blogger's new home.

Met her in her office after work. Her office was quite a distant from my office.

She gave a lot of ideas when I told her my requirements and told me upfront that there were miscellaneous cost. ( I wasn't told by previous IDs during the first meeting). She was friendly lady. she told me what to do and what not to do. ( I did value it as this is my first time doing renovation for my new home). And, this was where she differentiates herself from other IDs I have met.

I cant wait to look at her quotation. Pending to update.

recd her detailed quotation thru email and sent her enquiries abt the quotation.

One thing abt her is she is new in this industry and handle a couple of projects but love her ethu.

5) Contractor Nos 1 (D)

Recommended by my friend and read a few bit of reviews about him.

Met him at the unit last sat and he was late for 15 mins. He did informed me he was late.

I told him my requirements and he took measurement and snapped picture of the unit. No much suggestions/ideas from him since he is a contractor. Meeting was short .. maybe 30 mins to 45 mins.

He would get back to me within a week.

He gave a nonchalant attitude. Lets see how his quotation will be like.

recd his quotation via email and compare to other ids' quotations which are comparable.

6) Contractor Nos 2 (Y)

Recommended by my property agent.

Met him at the unit last sun.

He gave me suggestion which was practical but I felt that it would not be nice. he was very forthright and down to earth.

I like the idea he gave which was installed automated laundry system in the balcony.

He will get back to me with his quotation next week.

7) ID nos 5 (J)

Met him at the unit last sun. Got to know him through renotalk.

He replied promptly his messages.

Co-incidentally, he also was IDs of a unit opposite my block. He knew the floor plan very well and what to do with limited space in the unit. The meeting lasted for 30 minutes. Basically, I told him my requirements and he took measurement. He did provided me information what cant be done in advance.

He did not do any marketing as at now. So the meeting was pretty straight forward.

Cant wait to see his quotation.

8) ID nos 6

Got to know him through friend.

Promised to get back to me but never bother to re-arrange. Dropped him immediately.

9) ID nos 7

Got to know him through renotalk.

Contacted him and promised to get back to me but I haven't receive any call from him. Dropped him

Edited by intonewlife

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Not sure what theme should I get?

I like Scandinavian because of the clean feel but not the wooden feel. The flooring of my bedroom was wooden color.

Modern and contemporary is classic.... I dun mind but hope I can add in abit red item.

Minimalist theme??

Any suggestions?

welcome to RT!

theme of hse really depends on lifestyle :)

if minimalist, hse really cannot have many items. scandi is really nice too but may be high maintanence due to open shelvings..

there's also country / Victorian / industrial etc to choose from :)

Scandinavian theme is definitely out for me. I prefer minimum maintenance which is my main priority. I also make sure it registers into those ids I met. Hehe..

Maybe in e end, my new home will be themeless as well. :P

Hi guys, what types of qns do you ask . upon receiving of quotes?

It is not about what should you ask but more of what do you want.

If you do not have the faintest idea of what you want, then there is no room for further discussion.

For whatever being proposed or suggested might be rejected by you.

The best way to proceed is for you to know what you what and let them do the work for you.

By work meaning color matching, design, material etc and you must be consistent with all ID to have clear idea of the quote.

Eg. It is counter productive if you tell one ID to use tile and another to use vinyl.

So after getting the quote from them, whoever you find you can click with, then you proceed further with them.

Hi ocean eleven,

Will it okay to meet up with id a few times before signing contract?

I avoid meeting e id 2nd time as fearing they getting pushy n getting me to sign contract eith them.

Contd:

The first meeting was to tell them my requirements then they quoted accordingly. Then no more request from to meet 2nd round. Should I request for 2nd round of meeting to ask wat they hv plan in mind?

You have already met them and gave them your requirement and some have quoted.

So if there is 1 or 2 ID that meet your requirement, falls in you budget and you feel comfortable with, you can initiate 2nd meeting.

However if you meet 3 or 4 ID for 2nd meeting, you can be straining yourself and become indecisive. Else you can continue to look for the ID that you prefer.

Bottom line, second meeting is to establish further and enhance the understanding between both parties.

Bear in mind, no ID will be keen to meet 3 times or more before any confirmation.

Put it this way, IDs has multiple quotes and existing ongoing projects on hand. I seriously doubt they will entertain you for too long.

If the ID feels that you are leading them on a wild goose chase, he/she will politely decline your biz.

To be fair to them, they have to be responsible for their current projects as well.

You would also prefer your ID to focus on your reno rather than chasing after biz.

Dont expect them to work their magic until you put pen to paper.

There will always be some tricks up their sleeves and only when you signed then you will see the magic flow.

Most ID will take the second meeting as an indication as possibility to proceed further, so if you wanna 3rd, 4th, 5th meeting, chances are unlikely unless you confirm the ID.

I believe most folks here will stop at second meeting and by then will have a decision of which ID to employ.

After signing, then will on to in depth discussions of design, color, space planning etc.

One of id that renotalk recommended informed me that he wasnt able to provide quotation as his carpentry work schedule is rather tight and I enquiried when is the estimated time when the carpentry personnel is less busy. He didn't reply me. Haizz.. currently. . Havent meet one that give me e sense of satisfaction and trust to sign on the dotted line.