Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

We have moved in for awhile now and our floor doesn't seem to dry yet. We have cement screed floor and it is constantly wet and sticky. Everything sticks - hair, dirt, pieces of fiber from the magic clean wipes. Does anyone have this problem/ have a solution to this?

Would appreciate any help! Have contacted a few independent cement flooring companies but they didn't give any constructive advice! :(

Lounging at home is so annoying when you are constantly stepping on a sticky surface..... :help::help::help::help:

Hi Yelena, have you resolved your issue with the cement screed flooring after all this time?

BTW your ID used the same flooring works people or others for the epoxy? I need the contacts...if you don't mind, please. Thanks...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Yelena,

How was your experience with the Baron 888 WC? I am aiming to buy that one.

Hi, I hope this reply didn't reach you too late! So far it's been great and we don't have any bad experience with it :)

Hi Yelena, have you feedback to your contractors about this problem and what are their answers?

Hi mmoh, they are trying to sand down to fix the problem. Will be trying out next week, crossing my fingers!

Nice place! I especially like the cement screed and wood look. I am impressed with your contractors' carpentry work. Would you mind PM-ing me their contacts? Thank you!

I am also curious about the sticky cement screed problem you have. Is it the finishing layer that they painted on that is sticky? Do update us if you have found the cause/solution.

Thank you! Yep we liked their carpentry work too. We have no idea, our contractors will be trying to fix one of the rooms next week, hope everything goes well! I'll pm you in a bit! :)

Oh, how unfortunately. Didn't catch that part. I went to read up a little about mold and cement flooring. There was some mention about how easy it is for cement screen to collect moisture, if there is no waterproofing done below the screed and no waterproof layer (eg epoxy) on top of the screed. But then again this forum is largely wrt america i think, so it might not apply here. Anyways, I think the best idea is to ask your contractor or perhaps find another professional who understands the problem.

Best of luck to you!

Edit: just another thing, it could also be the cleaner or the cleaning agent you use. Try switching to just water maybe instead of the magiclean and see how it goes!

We were worried about that too therefore we opted for epoxy layer on top so that there will be some waterproofing on top in case water spills etc. Initially we were wet mopping but after the sticky problem didnt get any better, we used magic clean but it's worse because the fibre on the magic clean wipes got stuck onto the floor so we stopped mopping altogether and just did sweeping. Our contractor will be coming to try fix one of the rooms first next week, so I'm praying hard that the method he's gonna try out works! Thanks for all your tips!

Hi Yelena, have you resolved your issue with the cement screed flooring after all this time?

BTW your ID used the same flooring works people or others for the epoxy? I need the contacts...if you don't mind, please. Thanks...

Hey, my contractor will be trying to fix one of the rooms next week. It's still sticky up to date. I'll update again!

There are very few who does cement screed flooring for majority of the floor area so we are the only ones who have such problem. Another house which also did cement screed flooring turned out fine.

Sure, I'll pm you in a bit! :)

Hi, I hope this reply didn't reach you too late! So far it's been great and we don't have any bad experience with it :)

No worries. it is not late. I am notified of updates on threads I post.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I would be getting the Baron 888 as i feel it's the best value.

Hey, my contractor will be trying to fix one of the rooms next week. It's still sticky up to date. I'll update again!

There are very few who does cement screed flooring for majority of the floor area so we are the only ones who have such problem. Another house which also did cement screed flooring turned out fine.

Sure, I'll pm you in a bit! :)

Normally after a screed, there is a topping material such as tile or timber or laminate applied. The material of course provides the designer the option of color, texture, durability etc. In this case, the problem with a bad screed is not immediately obvious, but would show over time especially with timber and laminate topping.

For a pure screed flooring, a problem is almost immediately obvious; for example sandy surface etc.

The components of a screed are sand, cement and water, mixed in the correct proportion and the right way. It is fairly simple, until a contractor chooses to use an inappropriate sand, or less cement or more water or anyhow mix them. And almost all the subsequent defects seen in cement screed flooring are caused by this contractor action.

Next is the preparation before pouring the screed; there is a minimum thickness of screed to comply, the floor slab to be examined and vacuumed, and wet the slab (some would apply a coating material to help bonding of screed; same purpose of the sealant before painting a wall). And the screed is not supposed to be done on a raining day, when the air humidity is higher.

And then the screed is poured and leveled, and left to cure, It could take up to 7 days to properly cure the application depending on the environment condition. So it is fairly simple, the process is similar to baking a cake, until a contractor chooses to shorten the time and start using (or apply epoxy on) the floor before curing is completed etc.

Where epoxy is to be applied, the key is to first make sure that curing is completed. Epoxy is of course a coating, adding a skin to the flooring. An epoxy application is a mix of epoxy and a hardener; when mix correctly in proportion and method, and left to cure properly, it would not be sticky or tacky.

Later I would write the process you would like to see a contractor take in rectifying the situation in this case. There is also the need to remove all furniture in the area and put in place protection before the start of the process.

Good luck!

• Like 2

(As mentioned previously, remove all furniture from the area and apply protection to all fixtures.)

To rectify (what we like to see done; there could be variation by the contractor):

1. Remove the epoxy coating entirely using scraper or putty knife. Vacuum all debris.

2. Apply solvent to clean the area and let dry (take note that the solvent could be toxic).

3. Test moisture level of screed floor; normally done by taping a 500mm x 500mm clear plastic sheet to an area, leave overnight and examine the moisture captured after 24 hours. There is also instrument that could measure the moisture level.

4. Apply the correctly prepared epoxy to the dry floor and let to cure for at least 24 hours.

5. Examine the result before accessing the area.

In all rectifications:

- The goal is obviously to redo a process correctly. However, it is very common to have a contractor in to do a rectification but create another problem. Epoxy could be carelessly applied to fixture and furniture, and then would be very difficult to remove; therefore the protection against it (and also dust).

- It is advised that the all stakeholders have a clear understanding of what is to be done and the expected result, with agreement before starting the rectification.

Good luck!

• Like 2