Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Hey all,

My story's a little complicated, please bear with me and please advice!

When I first signed a $20,000 package with this firm, it was with an ID named Jim. Hubby and I liked him cause he was honest, gentle and he understood us. But two months into the project, he quit without a sound. We didn't know until his supervisor (whom we also met that day) called us to make arrangements for discussions.

This lady is a hard-seller, and she does not take into consideration what we want. All our discussions revolve around how we dont want to customise more and more furniture due to budget constrains. She even included items in her proposed design and discussed them with us at length before I caught her and asked "Is this item in the package?" To which she admitted that we would have to pay extra for. That dishonesty was the last straw for hubby and me. We do not want to continue with the company, we wanted Jim :(

However, we already paid a 2k deposit and based on the agreement we signed, may be liable to pay 30% damages. (which amounts to S$6000). There is no way I am going to pay 6k for designs I do not like and will never use. In fact, I want my 2k back. The paper was signed by Jim and me and since Jim left the company, is the agreement voided? Can we use that to push our case should the firm insist on us paying the 6k?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

so unfortuntate. if i were you i will consider the worst scenerio (and consult CASE and bang on their office often and name the ID firm here). I will get another ID firm as it will give me better piece of mind. You might get more problems and issue even if you decide to engage them from what i see...cheers.

The contract is binding.

Jim acted on behalf of the company.

Jim's departure not the fundamental term of the contract - unless you can prove it otherwise.

An other informal way to cancel the contract without financial losses - exercise your 3-inch long tongue to kill that lady of 6 feet tall.

VVV- I'm definitely getting another firm! I agree with you. I'm just super worried about forking out another 6K, in which case, I'll really have to bring in CASE. but what if I can't win?

bepgof - I was afraid of that... But will I have ANY push at all? I mean, I did sign cause I was comfortable with Jim and not cause the company was "prestigeous" or anything. And now that he quit, doesnt that mean that the company could not hold their end of the agreement? Can I push it as a small breach? And what does "exercise your 3-inch long tongue to kill that lady of 6 feet tall." mean?

Hi

@MelanieTan

As you mention, Jim had resign and you will handle by a hard seller lady. She is a director or boss in that company? If not you can look for their boss/director and speak to them. They will special handle for you and also do not want to affect the company business.

Hi Luvhenny,

When you say speak to them, do u mean continuing with their services but changing ID, or asking them to release us without having us bring this to court?

Hmm, if this additional info helps, we have not received any drawings/design works from them physically, not even the sketches we drew during meetings. All we have is the signed contract, the invoice of the 2k paid and the package details.

I'm wondering, you buy the company's service, not Jim's service right?

Right to point, no 'line', just point) demand the company deliver what has been agreed upon. No more & no less.

Reality is cruel and ugly, at times beautiful.

Accept Jim has bye bye, pick up & fix the ' broken pieces' (in yr view) because tmr has to continue.

Don't start your day with broken pieces of yesterday, everyday we wake up is the FIRST day of the rest of the life.

Not worth to start legal proceedings for that 2k-6k.

Once Goh Keng Swee, while he was defence minister, said:

- A pen can defeat a sword.

- A woman of 3 inch tongue can kill a man of 6 feet tall.

So you know the power of a pen and the '3 inch tongue'?

hi bepgof,

Legal proceedings for 2-6k may not be worth it, but small claims tribunal need not involve lawyers right? But of course if can avoid will avoid. Will be speaking to them on thursday, hope all goes well!

hi bepgof,

Legal proceedings for 2-6k may not be worth it, but small claims tribunal need not involve lawyers right? But of course if can avoid will avoid. Will be speaking to them on thursday, hope all goes well!

Seemed actual happening more than meeting the eyes...

Reno Co can't deliver what been written down? Or??

Anyway, all the best

Yea, signed with them for 7 months, but not a single design work handed over to us. Not even the sketches on paper. Been chasing them to hand us whatever they had for about 2 months already but still dragging. The are failing to honor what they promised and thus I'm terminating the contract. Not due to a change of heart, but due to the company's failure to deliver.

Thank you, have spoken to two lawyers and now have an idea of how to proceed.

That sad...hmm, but I think you also don't want to continue working with them anymore...will only bring you unnecessary worries...later alot of hidden cost somemore, if you want to find a new contractor to renovate your house, you can try looking for andrew, from avenir projects
[remove]

Hi Luvhenny,

When you say speak to them, do u mean continuing with their services but changing ID, or asking them to release us without having us bring this to court?

Hmm, if this additional info helps, we have not received any drawings/design works from them physically, not even the sketches we drew during meetings. All we have is the signed contract, the invoice of the 2k paid and the package details.

Ya continuing with their services but change of ID, since you had engage with the company but speak to their boss/director and I beileve the boss/director will handle your case or ask someone to assist in you as in special treatment. Explain to them you want the price as what the last ID quote you and I believe the boss/director will help you as they also want a good repution and relationship. My point of view and hope it help

As a boss/director, they want good repution and relationship and do not want to face any cases will affect the business.

Edited by luvhenny

That sad...hmm, but I think you also don't want to continue working with them anymore...will only bring you unnecessary worries...later alot of hidden cost somemore, if you want to find a new contractor to renovate your house, you can try looking for andrew, from avenir projects

[remove]

Ur account created yesterday *16 Oct 2014, 03:06 PM.

all your 13 post is promoting this guy.

Are you Andrew?

@Therat, apparently not, I'm just sharing, it's the person's choice whether to choose my ID or not=)

And I will continue to share, unless I know other better ID~

LuvHenny,

Yea my hubby is actually trying to negotiate with the boss, telling him that we wanna scrap the package (cause the contract is very sketchy for that, no date specified, no quotation nothing) and we want to write EVERYTHING down in black and white. That way hopefully we can retain the 2k yet make full use of the company's services that are actually needed like include hacking down of wall.

We actually have the Small claims form all filled up and ready to file at a moment's notice, haha. But better to see if we can settle this out of court first. better for everyone also.