Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi!

We have been following the posts here for the longest time and it is finally our turn.

Here's the typical and unexciting hdb floorplan haha :bleah:

floorplan_zpsf0c42d46.jpg

ps: we hate the aircon ledge position

Edited by ndloong

• Like 2

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

After a few months of headache and researching, decided to be brave and chose our id...our budget is 45k and like everyone we want good and cheap!

Started out with mid modern century -> then scandi -> but slowly evolved to become industrial as we found it more edgy and raw and lends more character to the space.

We like a lot woody stuff and it goes well with the industrial theme too..I think in the end we ended up with the part scandi part industrial look.

Hope we can keep to the theme as our reno go along...

our main brief to our id

- TV feature wall

- red brick wall to hang a punching bag

- shoe cabinet with metal divider

- cement screed floor at foyer

- vinyl floor throughout the house

- retile mbr toilet and common toilet

- built in mbr wardrobe

- built in study storage and table

20141012_223020_zps53048d57.jpg

Our 3ds - about 80% from our final version

we insisted on having a navy blue fabric sofa..much to my id objection haha

For the Mr - red brick wall and punching bag goes behind the sofa

Living1_zpsabc0d38b.png

the metal divider and cement screed floor... the 3d doesnt do justice to the metal divider..I think the real thing will turn out as nice as what we imagined it can be

Living2_zps5dd7d451.png

Dont cook much so just want a simple functional kitchen

Kitchen_zpsc8069627.png

sacrificed part of the bedroom to accomodate the mbr wardrobe

the woody part is the back of the wardrobe

StudyRm_zps8ef0434f.png

mbr wardrobe..sadly id dont wana give me a 3d of the full view of the bedroom since the only thing we are doing here is the mbr wardrobe

MasterBedroom_zps48c78c29.png

mbr toilet..decided that the woody tiles should go to the right hand side at the shower area since we usually leave the toilet door open and we wont be able to admire the woody tiles with the toilet door perpetually blocking half the wall

Bathroom_zps6e6f4f25.png

wow looking very good your drawings!

When are you starting your renovation?

Thanks! started our reno about a month ago...now mainly doing all the hacking/electrical works/ air con and other boring stuff

craftbrick will be up soon..cant wait!

Appliances review

Been on a shopping spree every weekend while waiting for the house to be ready with all the hacking and stuff.

TV - 55LA740T

TV_zps1a13b443.jpg

We had originally decided on a 50" TV but changed our minds last min when we saw a 55" TV at another place. 55" seems just right, given that our living room is quite spacious.

This website has a a TV distance calculator - it has a whole load of technical info (which im too lazy to read), but the scrolling calculator is **** useful and idiot-proof for lazy and non-technically inclined people like me :good:

http://www.rtings.com/info/television-size-to-distance-relationship

Grabbed it at Best Denki at $2059, its a high end 2013 model but but the specs is almost similar as the 2014 55LB version.

furthermore there isn't much UHD content in the market now so we decided to go for it.

Managed to get them to throw in a HDMI cable and there was a LG soundbar freebie. We love it as it looks super sleek.

LG-NB5540-Sound-Bar_zpse0cc11ec.jpg

think the price wasnt a super-steal but it's relatively cheap

Aircon - Panasonic inverter system 3

aircon_zpsa9a716a9.jpg

My parents place now is using this aircon and it works just fine. It's quiet and cools fast. It's so much more cheaper than Mitsubishi starmex too.

And in comparison to the newer aircon models in the market, the look of the stamex aircon is getting dated.

My only gripe is the aircon remote control - the aircon sensor is not very sensitive and I always need to point the remote at the aircon for it to respond.

So the remote always ends up lost in a corner of the room and I need to hunt for it haha

All Best at IMM still has the best air con pricing so far.

Fridge - Hitachi - R-VG560P3MS

fridgeimage_zpsd20fcde0.png

- one of the most energy efficient fridge in the market

- cool looking black glass

- futuristic looking touch screen control with blue LED light

- spacious interior given its size (capacity 450l width 715mm)

- add in another free vacuum cleaner

and we are sold! :lol:

Washing machine - LG WD-270QDT

Im one the people who insists on front load washing machines, and washer cum dryer is a big nono for me.

My parents place is using LG washing machine and my mum with years of experience washing my clothes recommends it :o , so of course I must follow right?

And it costs only $499 at a best denki road show, so must buy!

washingmachineimage_zps1853d58f.jpg

Edited by ndloong

Appliances Review part 2

Oven - Ariston

Dont really cook much so we decided to go for a basic oven for a start.

Got this Ariston oven at a steal at Mayer Warehouse Sale recently.

$450 for an oven? It would be rude of me not to buy! Hehe

oven_zps19a9b656.jpg

Sink - Blanco Naya 8

got the sink in Anthracite black

sink_zps5871d735.jpg

I was all set on a blanco sink but my ID and the salesperson was strongly discouraging me from getting a composite sink cos the surface protection of the sink will wear off over time. Stainless steel was supposed to be much more lasting.

But but...I couldnt get over the zi char feel of the metal and the nice looking metal sinks costs a bomb.

So decided to bite the bullet and just go with our original choice...hope wont end up as a major regret

Hood and Hob - Fujioh FX 890 and Fujioh glass hob

Got the hood in white to match our cupboard

Fujioh offers lifetime warranty for the hob's tempered glass

hob_zpsb97458e2.png

hood_zps0a92f6cc.gif

I was happy with my purchase and then ALAS, :jawdrop:

I saw a much more chio looking Fujioh hob on Goh Ah Bee in facebook, its the newest model and looks so sleek :~

I would have gotten this if I havent bought my cooker hood

fujiohhood_zpsf9d5921b.jpg

Edited by ndloong

My last major electronic item on the list is my ceiling fan, aiming the Amasco Triniti fan in black and the Vento fan for the dining area.

Dont know if JB carries the triniti model, seems like they only carry elmark and crestar.

Still on the hunt to get a good deal...any idea where to get the best price in SG?

trinitifan_zps8e89641a.jpg

ventofan_zpsd9fe102b.jpg

Was seriously contemplating the SPIN fan originally since Haiku was too pricey. We also found out that SPIN is actually a premium model affilated to Crestar.

The cheapest qoute we got so far was $680 before gst. $888 nett (sorry for mixup!)

spinfan_zpsd1584a45.jpg

It's really quiet and looks great, but felt that the Triniti's curves were more sexy. The blades were max 52" compared to Triniti's 56".

As for the wind profile, the salesperson likened it to a sea breeze. It's true - the wind is not blowing full force directly at you at all the time but you still feel the moving air.

Great for people who dislike strong wind blowing right in their face.

However the Mr who sweats a lot complains that sg is so hot and humid, what he needs is a typhoon not a sea breeze hahaha.

so conclusion is - byebye SPIN

Edited by ndloong

Nice appliances that you have got! =)..i got the same fujioh hood and hob too!...i like ur hitachi fridge..can share how much u bought and from where?

I bought fanco fans (black) 54" at tampoi lighting..their brands quite limited..i wanted KDK black fans but they dont carry..

Nice appliances that you have got! =)..i got the same fujioh hood and hob too!...i like ur hitachi fridge..can share how much u bought and from where?

I bought fanco fans (black) 54" at tampoi lighting..their brands quite limited..i wanted KDK black fans but they dont carry..

hi! I got the Hitachi fridge at best denki at $1150. I was buying the washing machine so just got it together for convenience sake. Didn't research much if It's selling way cheaper elsewhere.

I know that tampoi sells the vento fan... don't know if I should check if they have stock first...don't want to make a wasted trip all the way to job

Edited by ndloong

Nice 3D!! Your ID was mean not to show you the whole MBR view. Haha. So total Reno cost was 45k?

Looking to your Reno pics!

haha yah, she said she need to 'requeue' with the 3d department to redraw and don't want to wait for the 3d before proceeding with reno.

Since we are clear on what we wanted and to start the reno sooner, we let it slide. To her credit she's very on the ball. Most of the time we are owing her stuff heh.

total reno cost is 45k....but slowly growing haha

Updates

Red craftbrick wall is up! Liking how the grey wall and red brick wall complement each other...

Hub's black adidas punching bag will be hung at the window corner beside the brick wall.

We went to craftbrick directly to get our brickwall done instead of going through our ID.

Their authorised craftbrick installer is ZL Construction.

Saved $800 doing that and got very good service from them. Workmanship is good too. :good:

IMG-20141018-WA0003_zps720e1aa4.jpg

IMG-20141018-WA0002-Copy_zps6ce811cf.jpg

20141018_111432_zpsd4bc7312.jpg

20141018_111422-Copy_zpsd240e9c3.jpg

Vinyl flooring has also been delivered to the house and flooring should be up by the time I visit the house again next week

Vinyl for living room

IMG-20141019-WA0023_zps9471ebc6.jpg

Vinyl for bedrooms

IMG-20141019-WA0019_zps264e7ef3.jpg

Edited by ndloong

Tiling for toilets done as well

common toilet - due to budget constraint decided to overlay only one side of the wall where the ugly hdb accent tiles is.

sorry for the blurry photo~!

IMG-20141019-WA0021_zps0dc34cdc.jpg

MBR toilet

IMG-20141019-WA0017_zps77b00b2a.jpg

used textured tiles for the whole toilet, still looks very dirty now.

The bathing area is using long wood grained textured tiles - which we have to pay a small top up amount as extra labour costs.

Tried looking for wood grained tiles in 600*300 dimensions but they just don't cut it. It has to be longish to look nice.

Lesson learnt cos we didnt realise that there's a difference when we signed the contract which says installing 600x300 tiles.

how much extra labour does it take to install long tiles???? :wacko:

Edited by ndloong