Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
roland

Purchase From Taobao/tmall

Hi,

I read about many people has been purchasing from overseas websites (esp Taobao, TMall) in recent years for their renovation needs where the price differences between local quotes in Singapore and these websites can be huge (up to 70-80% in some cases!!)

Some of the things i heard of people bringing in are:

• Bathroom/Kitchen sinks + mixer taps
  • Toilet bowls
  • Toilet accessories (stainless steel hooks, racks)
  • Shower set (sprays, mixers etc)
  • Electrical switches and sockets
  • Lightings (such as lamps, downlights, bulbs)
  • Electrical appliances
  • Blinds

Can anyone comment on quality of the products? Whether the relevant authorities (HDB, BCA etc) need to pre-approve these products (especially the electrical switches/sockets and anything that need to be plug into the socket main) for use in Singapore etc? What are some of the considerations when we buy these stuffs?

My main concerns are

(1) Is it safe for use in Singapore - I don't want to cause an explosion/short circuit in my house especially with kids and old folks around

(2) If I install it without approval from HDB (for example), will they require me to fix it back to the original condition?

What are some of the things you guys brought in? If you have been using these for a few years, how do you find it?

Thanks and regards.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hi, will avoid below for safety reason

• Electrical switches and sockets
  • Lightings (such as lamps, downlights, bulbs)
  • Electrical appliances

also whether fitting is standard for use when require replacement down the road

my cousin and I are doing our respective reno. she used alot of taobao. I didn't.

yes you could save money and it is quite cheap. here's some advice. its not all about the price.

first, transactions much smoother if you transact in chinese.

second, u can get stuff that are unlikely to break or require warranty. buying from tb is like forget abt warranty.

its not like amazon where they will replace no qn asked. tb isnt like that anyway it would be troublesome to replace.

so things like lighting, electrical items u dont recommend it. my cousin ordered a light from tb, "veery cheap" he say but when it arrived one side chipped. how? too bad they still put it up. if u want u can get things like bookshelves or non breakable furnishings.

apparently u can also custom make curtains in taobao but it u measure wrongly nobody is going to re do for you. not like u can bring it back. for lighting I bought my LED lights in sg thru BL lighting. $39 per piece 15w. ok maybe twoce the price as taobao but no fuss, deliver straight, and more importantly 2 yrs on site wareanty. anything not working they will come and fix it.

third, shipping time/collection time. u need to factor in shipping time, collection time. and must be around to receive the items. good if u have time to do that and wait for multiple shipments esp for new reno.

I u get in sg, u pay and go off. call them few days in advance when your contractor is ready to make the part and they can accept the

items for u.

I got my sinks/bathroom fixtures from bathroom warehouse and universal union in sg. the prices were good $250-280 for wc + sink combi. cheaper in tb? possibly but i dont have to time entertain so many parcels and drive to new place as and when delivery comes. and I get warranty.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am not too overly concerned abt the warranty, but more on the safety and govt regulations. However, I do understand where you are coming from

Spring website has a list of controlled goods which states the items which required testing for minimum safety standards. Switch and sockets are covered under these.

http://www.spring.gov.sg/QualityStandards/CPS/Documents/List_of_controlled_goods.pdf

Seems that it is safer to get switches and sockets from SG instead of TB/TMall.

Such a shame as some of the stuffs from China are really nice eg:http://livolo.tmall.com/view_page-316529935.htm

I don't think I can get this in SG, at least not at any price that is even remotely near to what is being offered.

Just a random thought, any possibility of getting this from China and send for testing?