Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ongtw

Please Help Comment On This Carpentry Work

Hi Guys,

I recently took delivery of my renovation and was wondering if anyone can share their opinion on the following please? Please note that both image are upside down and needed to be rotated twice.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/gallery/sizes/7309-shoe-cabinet/large/

gallery_64143_556_109129.jpg

1) I noticed there's a gap and the wood is jutting out at the top of my shoe cabinet. Is this normal for shoe cabinet (suspended to ceiling) that uses tic tac door? I was told by my ID that his carpenter said this is the industry standard.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/gallery/sizes/7308-island-storage/large/

gallery_64143_556_23650.jpg

2) I noticed there is a wide gap between the display side of the cabinet (the top portion) and the cabinet doors (bottom portion). I have used a phone to demonstrate the gap that I have mentioned.

Do let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Is the 2 pics yr cabinet doors?

I look at the 1st pic. So I suppose the side board where the door attaches to, is not flush with the top(grey color)

I visualise when u close the door, will there be a gap there? I think there will be.

U can go to whoever house n look at their cabinets to see if they also have the same industry standard.

To me, it seem wrong measurements of the wood.

If I am correct, then u should really screw yr ID cos he got no common sense and say my contractor said its industry standard.

Likely that part is cut too big and to remedy it would be very tedious.

The 2nd picture is my island storage which is another cabinet that runs from floor to ceiling. It is divided into 2 parts. Top part is display cabinet without doors and bottom is storage with door. The gap that you see there is between the top and bottom portion. Will take a photo of the whole cabinet and post it here. Basically i can't really accept the gap but wanted to know if this is normal.

And theforst picture is what made me scratch my head. Not sure why it's not flushed.

I feedback this to my id but he kept insisting I am too fussy. So I wanted to ask for feedback from members here

Is there a gap when you close the door? I have similar issue with kitchen cabinet (done up by ex-owner's contractor). Please reject if there is gap because lizard can get in. This is happening to me now. Little creatures love such hiding place.

The 2nd picture is my island storage which is another cabinet that runs from floor to ceiling. It is divided into 2 parts. Top part is display cabinet without doors and bottom is storage with door. The gap that you see there is between the top and bottom portion. Will take a photo of the whole cabinet and post it here. Basically i can't really accept the gap but wanted to know if this is normal.

And theforst picture is what made me scratch my head. Not sure why it's not flushed.

I feedback this to my id but he kept insisting I am too fussy. So I wanted to ask for feedback from members here

Tell him u only paying $10 for this quality work and ask him dun be fussy.

Pls post his name and company so I can inform all my relatives n friends to avoid the chance of engaging him.

Totally irresponsible ID.

The remedy I suppose would be tearing down the cabinets n he definitely will try to dissuade u from doing tat.

It's your house and likely u going to live quite a while there. U will see this eyesore everyday. It's your hard earned money. Just be stern and tell him NO. I want it rectify.

Not to create stress on u. if this happens to me, I would audit thru every single work done by this "industry standard" contractor to make sure all works really conform to my industry standard, not theirs.

Edited by SinkieSon

Is there a gap when you close the door? I have similar issue with kitchen cabinet (done up by ex-owner's contractor). Please reject if there is gap because lizard can get in. This is happening to me now. Little creatures love such hiding place.

gemini,

that's what i'm going to check on tonight. i suspect this is a defect but the ID insists that this is industry standard. Having no background in carpentry, that's the reason why i posted pictures here to get clarifications from fellow members. Actually this ID is not really great to work with. I will post more pictures tonight of both the island storage and the shoe cabinet.

below is a picture of the island storage i mentioned about (its the cabinet on the left. the top part is the display and the bottom part are the cabinets. the doors are on the other side. so the display cabinet and cabinet doors are not properly aligned)

med_gallery_64143_556_28635.jpg

below is the original alignment issue (please note picture is upside down):

med_gallery_64143_556_23650.jpg

and the suspended shoe cabinet is the one on the left in the picture below:

med_gallery_64143_556_20613.jpg

below is the original picture of the issue i was pointing out (please note picture is upside down):

med_gallery_64143_556_109129.jpg

In addition to this, there are a lot of small holes here and there on the laminate inside the cabinets. I will add more pictures tonight and am looking forward to more feedback please.

thanks!

Tell him u only paying $10 for this quality work and ask him dun be fussy.
Pls post his name and company so I can inform all my relatives n friends to avoid the chance of engaging him.
Totally irresponsible ID.
The remedy I suppose would be tearing down the cabinets n he definitely will try to dissuade u from doing tat.
It's your house and likely u going to live quite a while there. U will see this eyesore everyday. It's your hard earned money. Just be stern and tell him NO. I want it rectify.

Not to create stress on u. if this happens to me, I would audit thru every single work done by this "industry standard" contractor to make sure all works really conform to my industry standard, not theirs.

Hi Sinkie,

thanks. It do looks like it is a defect then.