Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
X6GT

Steel/ Metal Contractor Or Workshop Contacts?

Hi folks,

I have been desperately looking for months, for a steel or other metal contractor who can do small home project.

Looking to do a simple wall mounted structure like a giant steel shelving. Can take load of 70++kg.

Initially I had wanted it done using solid wood, but I was told by the carpenters and contractors that they cannot do it or they need an engineer's certification that it can be safely mounted on the wall. They said better to ask steel guys to do.

I need to build something as follows:

http://jumpew.com/20-sneaky-ways-to-saving-space-bedroom-with-furniture/sophisticated-space-corner-saving-bedroom-furniture-wall-mounted-bunk-bed-with-wood-frame-and-hidden-lamp-lightning-dining-room-on-below-also-brown-personal-sofa-on-laminated-wooden-floors/

Would appreciate your help on sharing with me your personal contacts... especially around the * areas like Sg Kadut, Woodlands and Toh Tuck/Bt Batok.

Thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

So far only 1 company has entertained me. I'm not even sure where it is...like Eunos area there. Industrial park. Will update later when I find their company name, address and number.

I kinda just wandered into the industrial park and started driving around a few blocks slowly, looking at each shop to figure out if they did metal works. I finally stopped at these guys and the China staff gave me their manager's number. Manager referred me to the guy doing the work, and after a few days he came back with a quotation on something similar to the website link that I sketched out for them.

Erm... I have to say the quotation for the finished product shocked me, as it was about 6 times the price of the materials. The materials (like single galvanised mild steel hollow squares) added up was only about $300, give or take. But the guy quoted me incl welding and mounting as $1800.

I'm thinking it's really not worth the price tag. It's ridiculous. I am pretty sure that if the steel were drilled with the right holes etc, I could very easily assemble them and mount them myself. And the whole project would only cost me less than $500! *faintz*