Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fatnurse

Celing Speakers. Advice Needed

Hi all... im moving in to my flat soon and thinkin of installing the in ceiling speakers to my hall mbr and one room... during my visit to adelphi,one sales man qouted me 6 in celining speaker one sub woofer and one amplifier at abt 2.5k for my hall...

Can i knw if this is reasonable n if theres pros and cons to installing them?

Thanks in advance

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi storm,

For the brandin wise the sales person offered me a mixture between the speakers,amplifiers and also subwoofer... i did not too much further in detail as i have not confirm anythin with him bt if i remember clearly he did say d in ceiling speakers will be "onkyo"

As for the function wise i jus wana have more cinematic experience and would like to have the speakers hidden in the ceilings instead of having the ones that are mounted on the walls n those bulky ones on the floor.

Care to comment or advice.

It's weird to have a 6-speaker configuration. If it's for living room where you watch movies, you require 5 speakers and a sub (minimum). If it's for music in room, you require 2 speakers (stereo); you will lose lower mid to low frequency details since ceiling speakers are usually limited down to ~150Hz.

You will need to list your budget and needs, and start looking within the boundary you have worked out. Do you really need a pair in the room, with your source and AVR located outside? Unless you have Bluetooth or RF control, you will need to go outside to switch tracks or change volume.

Consider satellite speakers (smaller and aesthetically pleasing; usually can be wall mounted) as very limited ceiling speakers will be able to produce a proper soundstage for movie. Ceiling mounting's dispersion pattern in a standard condo/HDB size will create more havoc (my opinion; I must quantify I do not have experience with ceiling mounted speakers for home theater. I recently auditioned an Atmos demo with 4 ceiling mounted speakers in the rear and frankly, it was a big mess). With satellites, you have more flexibility in controlling the dispersion direction for the front speakers (wall mount or rest on shelf), and have the 2 rear speakers ceiling mounted (not ideal though but possible). Take a look at Anthony Gallo Micro. They offer ceiling mounts for their speakers with some flexibility in directing the speakers to where you want. There are other manufacturers that offer similar design too. Cheers!

Wow... thank u for the very informative reply... initially i had the idea for the inceling speaker as i tot it would be special and look more stylish n professional as the speakers r hidden bt i failed to consider the quality of the sound system... thank u so much for ure input... will sure heed ure advice n check out the antjony gallo micro set b4 i decide anything... ny budget is 3k max for whole system...

I remember seeing somewhere bose501 ceiling speaker the range is abt $500 for 2 sets.

I mean real speaker that attached to ceiling just like the ceiling downlights. I believe its for commercial usage but residential no problem too.

I remember seeing somewhere bose501 ceiling speaker the range is abt $500 for 2 sets.

I mean real speaker that attached to ceiling just like the ceiling downlights. I believe its for commercial usage but residential no problem too.

Bose is way over-rated. For the same price, you can get much much better audio equipments.

If you need help in sourcing Home theatre equipment, i propose you go to www.xtremeplace.com to ask for recommendation.

It boils down to if you want satellite, bookshelves or floorstander.

Satellite speakers have limited frequency response although they are compact in size. Bookshelves speakers perform better than satellites.

try this Sony Sposato directional ceiling speakers, last saw selling at $30 a piece, 60w rms, 2 way 6.5" 70hz to 20khz.

Bose is a over rated speaker and price is on high side.

Speaker Brands u can try is ,

• mordaunt short
  • monitor audio
  • Kef
  • b&w
  • dali
  • acoustic energy
  • dynaudio
  • Whalfedale
  • Tannoy