Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi Everyone,

Some helps needed here, about a month ago I have engaged a ID company(I shall not reveal the name yet until we have complete our renovation process) after signing up the service provided by the Renotalk. We previously found a ID and had his hand drawn images and measurements but he told us he cannot complete within our time frame so he had to back out. Thus this sudden change had led us needing a ID asap as we no longer want to delay the work.

Btw, I got my keys on the 30 Oct, we had asked about 10 different companies for quotations and we are only renovating the entire kitchen with cabinets, granite surfacing, one study table, one wardrobe and false ceiling for living and dining area. My house is resale 4A flat about 93sqm.

So we found this ID after finding his quotations are quite similar to our previous ID and after much negotiation we decided to sign the contract with him. However, this is one huge mistake made by us that we did not ask him to state the completion date on the contract and some of the details like granite measurements because we are pretty rush on that day. We signed our contract on the 12Nov, he told us that they will need about two weeks to complete the works. However, we did not want him to do everything on a rush so we gave him 3 weeks to complete, till 5 Dec.

After signing the contract, our nightmares began.

They started knocking off the old kitchen 3 days after signing the contract and another 3 days after to complete fixing the tiles at the cabinet area. (We did not change our kitchen floor tiles so no permission from HDB required as according to them, thus should take lesser time).

We wanted a 3D drawing for the kitchen, they promised to give two days after signing of contract but 3D image of kitchen only came up after about 1.5weeks with the first draft which everything is incorrectly done!(We provided them with our previous ID's hand drawn pictures with measurements.)

After another 3-4days they finally came up with a proper drawing but still some amends needed.

Two weeks has passed, kitchen base checked, false ceiling was done within a day, checked, some electricity work and power points are done and nothing else going on.

For the entire process, we keep calling them asking them to update about the process, but they ignored us most of the time until we got really irritated with them and they start updating us a little. The person who signed the contract with us whom suppose to be the interior designer(he can't even draw free hand) and company's manager did not even come down to check on the progress for the 2 weeks! How irresponsible!!

And finally, on Monday 1st Dec, the start of third week, they decided to came down and settle the measurements of the cabinets, wardrobe and study table with us. We settled that day with us requesting hand drawn pictures of the wardrobe compartments and study tables. We clearly told them and give them the green light to start with the kitchen cabinets that night. They told us they might need about 3 more days to complete with the cabinets and installation. We are ok with it just three more days, we are fine.

So guess what, they took 3 days to came up with the hand drawn pictures for study table and wardrobe like what?! Other ID we went to only took about a min on the spot to draw out!!! After confirming the measurements and drawing we gave them the green light for wardrobe and study table. We are prepared for a bit of delayed then.

We were too tired with the process and did not bother them for the past 2 days and asked about their progress tonight(6 Dec). Guess what? They only started preparing materials for cabinets and not even start doing them! For wardrobe and study table, don't even mention they did not even bother telling us they did not start with it and suddenly they want to make a measurements again. What the... we were so angry tonight and keep asking them when will you complete the cabinet, until then, they finally said they need another 2 weeks to complete the cabinets! That means we are preparing to wait another 3 weeks to complete everything?! That will already be Christmas!

We wanted to move in ASAP but how do we?!

I looked through the forum previously and found some good ID. However, when we approach them, they told us they cannot meet our deadline and thus we did not use them. For the one we used, they promised and assured they can complete everything by 5 Dec. We have given them all measurements and drawings and did not even require them to design for us.(I guess they can't design anyway). Now that in the contract we did not state the completion date but we have voice recording of them assuring us it will be done by 5th Dec.

I'm not sure what to do now,will you please give me some advise, I'm too tired for this... ):

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi JingXuan,

Sorry to heard what happened to you. However, may I suggest a solution to your problem?

Step 1: Withheld enough payment from the contractor to cover your losses (E.g. Loss of income from taking leaves off work to monitor the site, rental expense if you are currently renting your old accommodation or living in a hotel)

Step 2: Document all your losses from the delay (e.g receipts, etc) as well as evidence of all communication between you and the contractor

Step 3: Ensure that the work is done up properly and all defects rectified (Tell the contractors that you will release the payment only when the defects are rectified)

Step 4: Deduct your losses from the payments withheld accordingly. (Or you can choose to not pay them at all)

Note that even if no completion date was stated, the courts will determine a reasonable date of completion for your particular case and "imply" (implied term) it into the contract. And if you can prove that the contractor has knowledge of your deadline (through SMS, e-mails), you may still have a case against them.

I suggest you get legal help if the disputed amount is large.

Update:

Till date the company has still not completed my renovation.

From what I know according to the sub contractors I have met, this company is facing serious financial difficulties.

The key personnel of this company did not pay up sub contractors for their work.

Thus the 50% we had paid did not go to the sub contractors as well, he used it in some other area which we do not know.

The reason for delaying our renovation work is now clear - sub contractors did not receive any payments from previous work as well as a deposit for the current work which is for my unit.

Now the company insist we had to pay up a 45% as in their terms and condition stated "upon delivery of carpentry we had to make the 3rd payment which is 45% of the total amount" But we did not even finish the renovation and rectify the mistakes. I highly suspect he will use this 45% to pay something else instead.

I will definitely review the company's name as well as the key personnel's name and contact as a warning to the rest of fellow forum users.

Hi jingXuan,

Are you still seeking for painting services, if you still do, you can kindly email me @ simply4ofus@hotmail.com and we will discuss all the necessary from there.

thank you

regards,

Brian

Edited by bananabrian

Hi JingXuan,

I feel 100% for you as I am in exact situation as you. I shall also write a full review after they have completed my house reno.

I was also pressed for time to find an ID. They were the last of some six I had tirelessly sourced, assessed and seem 'established' yet cheapest. Most of all, the designer I spoke to had assured me that they can meet my dateline. Yet where ever drawings are concerned, things will fall into a 'black hole'?! And I experience the same nightmare as you - need to ask, chase, beg, and if they do show, it is without the changes. Where yours take days, my took weeks, and some even without response. They even get upset about being chased and have started to just 'remote control' the entire project.

Todate, I have not seen the updated drawings nor is any carpentry done.. things have come to a stalemate and I know they are not going to handover in time nor in a 'move in' state.

What to do? Well, We don't have to be sitting duck. The day I sensed that, I started to take out whatever items I can from them or try to work around or even do without where it overstretches my budget; rather than being held ransom. Which is how I feel exactly because they know I have a drop dead dateline - that I also did not state in black and white. At least I am paying what I get only. Nothing more, nothing less.

However, a company in financial difficulties is a more tricky situation and I would strongly suggest you withheld as much of the amount of payment as you can.

Fighting!

Hi Jingxuan,

I faced the same issue as you. I only learnt the fact that the Company was not paying the contractors when the contractors pity me for engaging this specific company for the renovation and told me discreetly. Many of them did not receive the payment when i've (out of pressure) paid 95% of the renovation fees. The ID still go around telling the contractors that I did not pay up for the renovation therefore he don't have money to pay them. My work was continuously dragged. It is so stressful. I couldn't even concentrate working. I hope your renovation is done by now and if possible, share with us this disgusting company and person in charge so that no one else will get cheated by them.

On 1/7/2015 at 2:19 PM, JohnsonLim said:

Hi JingXuan,

Sorry to heard what happened to you. However, may I suggest a solution to your problem?

Step 1: Withheld enough payment from the contractor to cover your losses (E.g. Loss of income from taking leaves off work to monitor the site, rental expense if you are currently renting your old accommodation or living in a hotel)

Step 2: Document all your losses from the delay (e.g receipts, etc) as well as evidence of all communication between you and the contractor

Step 3: Ensure that the work is done up properly and all defects rectified (Tell the contractors that you will release the payment only when the defects are rectified)

Step 4: Deduct your losses from the payments withheld accordingly. (Or you can choose to not pay them at all)

Note that even if no completion date was stated, the courts will determine a reasonable date of completion for your particular case and "imply" (implied term) it into the contract. And if you can prove that the contractor has knowledge of your deadline (through SMS, e-mails), you may still have a case against them.

I suggest you get legal help if the disputed amount is large.

I had a very bad renovation experience with a company that claimed they are young. The mistake started at the beginning of the renovation, despite numerous of reminders as I knew the ID is super careless and forgetful. The tilers they hired claimed as very experienced guys but did not have the skill at all. 

Things they had done wrong (not per what had agreed), not manage to come out a correct dimension of drawing (I still have not received the drawings from them and I had moved into my place about 11 months), high absenteeism of the workers (can missing in action for weeks)..., they promised me 2 months to complete but dragged for extra 2 months plus still can't complete. Did not perform the job as stated in the contract...I had pay extra rental and storage fee and no place to stay after move in... I have all the photos and messages, but nothing u can do.

I prepared all and file a claim at Small Claim Court. But the referee did not refer to that, did not let me explain after heard from the respondent. They just prepared one thick stack of paper and told the referee on which page. I do not have a chance to fight back on what they had told the referee. The defect schedule that I had prepared, mailed to them to complete the other part and submitted to SCT before the hearing. But the copy they passed to me missing 3 pages and the copy with the referee was the complete set. I have taken photos on every page before I sent it out at Nationwide office. When I post the question seems the referee did not care. 

The whole procedure makes me upset. It's unfair and disappointing. 

Edited by Hohola Wong

just sharing some of the photos from my unit, after renovation :(  + slanted TV cabinet, 2 slanted tall units and 1 slanted top hung kitchen cabinet...

2016-04-12-PHOTO-00001461.jpg

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_1262 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0011 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_1266 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1419 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0429 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1046 - Copy.PNG

IMG_1427.JPG

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1289 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1410 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1416 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0205 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5298 (1).JPG

Edited by Hohola Wong

On 3/27/2017 at 10:21 AM, Hohola Wong said:

just sharing some of the photos from my unit, after renovation :(  + slanted TV cabinet, 2 slanted tall units and 1 slanted top hung kitchen cabinet...

2016-04-12-PHOTO-00001461.jpg

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_1262 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0011 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_1266 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1419 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0429 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1046 - Copy.PNG

IMG_1427.JPG

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1289 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1410 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1416 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0205 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5298 (1).JPG

hi, if you are referring to the photos posted by Hoholawong, it's by another ID company at Ubi Road.