Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

hurray on starting the renovations!! what an exciting christmas for you :)

i had a few house parties for xmas at my place, feels good to not have to squeeze with the crowds!! next year your turn!!

Merry Christmas Mrsjohnb!

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Glad you like it JohnB ... one of the additional add-on I did for my home and I am satisfied until now :) good price and very useful.

Looking forward to see your home transform into a beautiful one~

Thank you, DaddyWinter. :)

hurray on starting the renovations!! what an exciting christmas for you :)

i had a few house parties for xmas at my place, feels good to not have to squeeze with the crowds!! next year your turn!!

Merry Christmas Mrsjohnb!

Thank you! Exciting indeed :)

Not having to squeeze with the crowds sounds good! Can't wait for our turn next year.

Thanks, MintyVintage, and the same to you! Have a beautiful first Christmas at your new home!

Hi everyone. Just a quick post to wish all of you a merry Christmas! May love, joy and peace fill all your days ahead. And your homes! :)

large.jpg

Source

Actually, all I want for Christmas is a good renovation. #pleasesanta

Ok, we're off now to the midnight mass. I hope I'll be able to find some time in between the festivities these few days to catch up on my RenoTalk renovation journal.

Edited by JohnB

Day 0: Door Holder

We saw it on @DaddyWinter 's t-Blog and thought we would get ours replaced too, to make it easier for the renovation guys making deliveries.

The holder that comes with the new flats does not quite hold the door open. After you have pushed the door open and released your hold of it, the door will close (albeit slowly and gently). With this new holder, if, for whatever reason (making deliveries, better air circulation, etc.), you would like the door to remain open, simply push the door open to 90º (you will know when you are there, for you will feel something, a slight resistance of sorts) and release – voila! the door stays open.

@DaddyWinter shared the guy's name and number with us (thank you :) ).

His name is Kelvin. He is a nice chap. Prompt service, as in he was ready to visit our new home to install the holder on that very day that we texted him! Installation did not take long. He did it cleanly too, no mess! :thumbs up:

The holder is priced at $68, which includes installation. Note that only the 'arm' part gets changed. The 'box' thing remains the same. That does not affect the function, but the aesthetic appeal is somewhat lacking (in our case, that is). Seeing as Keith is going to paint the door white, we are thinking of asking him to paint or spray paint the entire arm+box thing white as well. Hopefully that will work.

b69f50b098a2603d7d5be2d60dd61dd7.jpg

adf84eb106d5818d0b69e07481515c50.jpg

It appears My Digital Lock carries the product too. The price is higher, at $150. Perhaps it comes with the 'box' part? It sure looks sleek and nice. :)

img_1091.jpg

Hi JohnB,

Can you share with me the contacts for the door slider? Thanks!

Can I say great minds think alike! This has many similarities to what I want for my new home -- the concrete, the removal of all walls possible, the floating surfaces, the minimalistic look... Love your mood board! Since you are seldom home, why not allocate some space in your bathroom for storage as well? I am planning to erect a large storage closet in the common bathroom since we won't have guests over too often, for the storage of bathroom, cleaning and pet supplies.

• Like 1

Hi JohnB,

Can you share with me the contacts for the door slider? Thanks!

Hi,

Would u kindly share the contact for the main door holder?

Think ha mailbox is full...can't PM u.

Thanks

Hi Beltoh and Deneos. My apologies, I have been a little bit busy of late. I have just sent Kelvin's number to you both. Hope that helps and good luck. :)

main door holder for $68 numberrrr plsss :D

Happy New Year, Takaishi! I tried sending you his number just now, but your mailbox seemed to be full? I shall try again later. :)

Can I say great minds think alike! This has many similarities to what I want for my new home -- the concrete, the removal of all walls possible, the floating surfaces, the minimalistic look... Love your mood board! Since you are seldom home, why not allocate some space in your bathroom for storage as well? I am planning to erect a large storage closet in the common bathroom since we won't have guests over too often, for the storage of bathroom, cleaning and pet supplies.

Thanks! A large storage closet in the common bathroom sounds like a good idea – go for it. I would love to have one too, but I'm afraid I can't fit it into my budget nor my bathroom, both of which are small.

Happy 2015, by the way. Another year closer to your key-collection date – you must be thrilled!

Happy New Year, Renotalkers. I hope all of you will have a wonderful 2015. :)

We are at the midway point of the renovation, I think. Wet works and window installation are complete. The first coat of paint (base coat?) is up too. I hope to get this t-Blog written and updated soon. Though perhaps not ‘write’, at least not per se. After all, I am not actually writing the posts but simply extracting from my FB, IG, etc. those that pertain to the renovation and posting them here. Anyway, Day 2:
Day 2
On the morning of Day 2, Keith sent us the following photo:
58986201d0e59d7a2152803db3c578a5.jpg
The cracks might have stemmed from the master bedroom door frame, which used to be on the other side of the wall. It was removed the day before and Keith deduced that, given its proximity to the bathroom wall, the force of removing it could have caused the tiles to crack. He was honest with us about the matter – we really appreciated that.
Thankfully, it seemed only a few peripheral tiles were affected; the rest came through unscathed. He assured us that the waterproofing was fine. And that the tiles would be replaced, and that they would be as good as new after replacement. :)
Here are some pics for your reference, if you happen to have a door frame in a similar position.
The door frame:
c7d61d027ed368139ea0cb2a9c0210c3.jpg
Removed:
b9d623fdf8398000cdf96caad419cadd.jpg
“If I am going down, I am taking the tiles with me…”
00e6427a1b7acbcce8d6433efd3ad1d1.jpg
Heav’n has no rage, like love to hatred turn’d,/Nor H-e-l-l a fury, like a door frame scorn’d. :lol:
The 'offending' door frame (in pink):
53383c85ae1e96490bd7de08dfbc4031.jpg
The walls in blue – A, B, C and D – are the ones removed.
If you happen to have a similar floor plan and are planning to combine the two bedrooms into one, it may help to know that that vertical beam-like thing at the end of wall A can be removed, and without having to engage a PE.