Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Edwinlow7

Minimalist-Industrial At Punggol Topaz

Made our first big purchase over the weekend! Popped down to Expo to "sleep" on several mattresses, ended up getting one from Magic Koil. Was within our budget and great service from the sales promoter (Susan).

Btw, anyone has reviews on magicseal - the window mesh that keeps away insects ? Am paranoid about bugs esp lizards and am super tempted to get those installed.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Tile hunting!

We had wanted cement screed flooring to complete the industrial look but heard that HDB was only going to allow pre-packed cement to be used (which results in really ugly patchy floor, ID showed us a sample) + wasnt sure how I would feel about cracks in the cement in future.

Decided on cement-lookalike tiles instead. Super noob, never knew that there were so many types of tiles until we went down to Hafary. And the "cement" tiles even come with texture to mimic the look and feel of cement, wow. It is so easy to get distracted at Hafary so come down only when you already have something in mind so that it is easier to focus on narrowing down your choices.

16080300825_3250eefa8a_c.jpg

Short listed these 5 tiles and in the end we went with the 4th one (from left) mainly because it comes in 60x60. All the above are $3 psf.

16079598582_cfbf4971bd_c.jpg

Amused by the fancy names these tiles have. Ours is the firenze

16079608892_f9ab9e7010.jpg

Stopped by Crate & Barrel today and saw a dining table that I thought was really pretty too. Great, now I have shortlisted 5 different tables :bangwall:

Tile hunting!

We had wanted cement screed flooring to complete the industrial look but heard that HDB was only going to allow pre-packed cement to be used (which results in really ugly patchy floor, ID showed us a sample) + wasnt sure how I would feel about cracks in the cement in future.

Decided on cement-lookalike tiles instead. Super noob, never knew that there were so many types of tiles until we went down to Hafary. And the "cement" tiles even come with texture to mimic the look and feel of cement, wow. It is so easy to get distracted at Hafary so come down only when you already have something in mind so that it is easier to focus on narrowing down your choices.

16080300825_3250eefa8a_c.jpg

Short listed these 5 tiles and in the end we went with the 4th one (from left) mainly because it comes in 60x60. All the above are $3 psf.

16079598582_cfbf4971bd_c.jpg

Amused by the fancy names these tiles have. Ours is the firenze

16079608892_f9ab9e7010.jpg

Stopped by Crate & Barrel today and saw a dining table that I thought was really pretty too. Great, now I have shortlisted 5 different tables :bangwall:

You better check with your ID regarding the compulsory pre packed cement screed ruling by HDB. It got extended till june 2015. Dont get 'robert' by your ID.

You better check with your ID regarding the compulsory pre packed cement screed ruling by HDB. It got extended till june 2015. Dont get 'robert' by your ID.

haha yes we did hear about the extension but by then we already fallen in love with our chosen tiles so decided to go with that option

Hello all!

Inspired by all the lovely t-Blogs and decided to start our own. So we just collected our keys from HDB yesterday and very excited to get started on our renovation journey. Must admit that just a couple of months ago when we were looking for IDs we knew completely nothing about home renovation, decor etc just that we wanted industrial theme, thats it. Thankfully for Renotalk, been browsing thru the forum and picked up so much useful information along the way!

gallery_65889_614_34823.jpg

So this is our floor plan, quite a typical 5 room BTO plan. We did not opt for tiles/doors and intend to hack part of bedroom 2's wall down for a walk in wardrobe. Bedroom 3 will remain empty for now for future kid's room.

We have the exact same layout (4 room though), except that I would only be getting my keys in 4 years time :( Would love to see how you transform the space!

Alright first round of purchases on Taobao done! Taobao shopping is addictive! Fingers crossed everything arrives in good condition.

16107626261_5874f1610d_o.jpg

For the dining room

15923789617_f7a646797e_o.jpg

Kitchen Sink

16083758416_df1c600a7f_o.jpg

Strip lights for the bathroom

And of course a whole bunch of tracklights + tracks

Second round of Taobao shopping!

More lights! So many pretty lights on Taobao and all at a fraction of Singapore's prices. Couldnt resist

15960260240_5a80673590.jpg

For our bathrooms

15960126068_8fffc3b7cb.jpg

Study table maybe? So cute just buy first lah!

16147571475_9fbc9588e0.jpg

For the spare (empty room) lol

Cutting the post because apparently I cant post that many pictures in a single post.

15960126398_840bacac61.jpg

Really cool toilet roll holder, now trying to find other toilet accessories to match but not having much luck :(

15960126508_63890a6346.jpg

16121789046_be2ecb4a07.jpg

These will be for our mini "bar" in the living room, adore the bar cart :wub:

15960260610_a716219de4.jpg

Coffee table. Saw this selling on an SG website and really liked the design but wasnt in the dimensions we wanted, taobao to the rescue! Seller was able to customize one for us.

Btw for those into industrial style furnishing, just search 'loft' on t-mall. Guaranteed hours of lusting over the pretty furniture on your computer.

*lusting*drool some* furniture and fittings .Its a hit and miss searching in TB sumtimes. Goggle translate to the rescue and i didn't even take Chinese in school and i manage to buy few stuffs though forwarder like peeka and oops and luckily all my items 80% is what is depicted in the pictures.

Edited by Freakerz

hello edwin. mind sharing the links for the 1st light and bar cart? thanks! :D

Hi Daintyflair,

here you go! Just to highlight that I just placed the orders and havent received them yet so cant comment on quality yet.

Light: http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=42004705460&spm=2014.12193480.0.0

Cart: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=38832343257&spm=2014.12193480.0.0

*lusting*drool some* furniture and fittings .Its a hit and miss searching in TB sumtimes. Goggle translate to the rescue and i didn't even take Chinese in school and i manage to buy few stuffs though forwarder like peeka and oops and luckily all my items 80% is what is depicted in the pictures.

Haha Freakerz, yah tell me about it. I studied chinese in school but all "give back" already.

If mine also 80% of what was depicted, I think i will be quite happy *fingers-crossed*

Renovation has started!

15966972010_5d480335e6.jpg

First thing to be done is the electrical works, exposed black tracks to complement the industrial theme. Toilet bows, vanity also removed to prepare for overlaying, amused to see our toilet bowl sitting in the bomb shelter

15968521437_350f5e068a.jpg

Service yards door removed (the blks are so near I can see exactly what clothes the neighbors are washing :wacko: )

15968214839_34e28353b6.jpg

Anddd cement slabs, any guesses as to what they are going to be? :)

Decided to change the door arm of our main door because the HDB provided one doesnt allow the door to be "locked" in place when opened. Engaged Kelvin from UniArm after seeing recommendations by a few T-bloggers on Renotalk and I must say his service is really excellent! Once again, so thankful for this forum man.

16128525506_7bfd576e5d.jpg

When he came down to install the door arm, he noted that wall wasnt leveled, picture doesnt really show but basically there is a gap between the arm and the wall zzzz. Honestly, it was not that big of a deal but Kelvin insisted on coming back to seal up the gap (at no extra charge too!)

15966974580_3445ce075b.jpg

And tadaaa..all nice and neat now. Super impressed by his service, he even took pictures and videos to send to us after he was done (we were at work then) and insisted that we pay him only after we go down personally to see.