Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mrbytez

Sand Castle In The Air (Part I)

By the way, are you planning to cover up balcony area? It's a big headache for me and cannot decide

Hi, haha no big updates so didn't check back. Missed your post.

I've seen quite a few that cover up half height and then extend the living room outwards. But then, it won't have that "open" feel anymore... so... after much thought, decided to stay put and leave it "open" as it is first. After all, the empty plot of land in front of the balcony isn't empty anymore. There's a BTO project with construction ongoing... lol.. No more blue skies...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I saw this plot of land almost every day since I'm driving by Eway.

Yah a lot of EM owners will be pissed off not only that area but also in areas like Corporation Road, Pioneer North Areas.

Firstly it's a premium flat. I'm not saying it must be Hill or Sea facing etc but the minimum it should be unblocked. Now the Balcony also don't know if you will sit there for even 2 mins.

Secondly, for whatever reasons, all available piece of land, HDB will squeeze out a 20-30 storey Flat, blocking everyone in the way. It causes congestion, packed the side roads.

Haizz .... rant as usual

I saw this plot of land almost every day since I'm driving by Eway.

Yah a lot of EM owners will be pissed off not only that area but also in areas like Corporation Road, Pioneer North Areas.

Firstly it's a premium flat. I'm not saying it must be Hill or Sea facing etc but the minimum it should be unblocked. Now the Balcony also don't know if you will sit there for even 2 mins.

Secondly, for whatever reasons, all available piece of land, HDB will squeeze out a 20-30 storey Flat, blocking everyone in the way. It causes congestion, packed the side roads.

Haizz .... rant as usual

My unit balcony will be facing their "drop off porch" area. Luckily not that jialat like facing carpark or the residential blocks. Hopefully... lol. Just that my left and right will be flanked by the BTO residential blocks that will be up to 16 storeys high. Like :curse: right, when all the mansionette blocks in this estate up to around 11th storey or so max out. My corner maxes out at 8/9th and I'm at 6/7th. :dunno: Their estimated completion is Q1/2017 lol, this BTO consists of 3 blocks of flats. Maybe got chance to park at their MSCP. haha.

Where is yours?

Edited by mrbytez

That aside, HDB just called to inform that the reno permit has just been approved. However, too last minute for the contractor.. They might only be able to start next week. :~

Plans are to hack open the kitchen walls, existing flooring on the lower floor. Flooring for living and dining to be cement screed, kitchen area with tiles. And full electrical rewiring.

Edited by mrbytez

Mine is at woodlands. Shifted on 1 Jan this year. 70% completed lolx. 3rd Gen masionette. But lazy to start a blog here.

Lai leh see some photos of the stairs. lol. Kitchen is per original spec or did you remove any walls? 3rd Gen balcony is the service yard area right?

For 3rd Gen Masionette, you can see the floorplan here which I've posted.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/4853-mansionette-owner/?p=868458

- I didn't remove any walls. Too small in fact to hack anyway. But I did reinstated back the Balcony and Service Balcony. I got a thing for unblocked feel. lolxx

- Kitchen is as per standard, you can only see L-shaped due to the layout. Cannot pattern too much haha.

- I can show you my stairs but to be honest, it's all concealed. If you're interested, you can pm me, we connect via social app or watsoever and I attached the pictures over, coz the picture is all in my phone and i am lazy to upload to those free sites whatsoever, haha

PS : by the way, there's a lot of stairs to be see, just google, all the renotalk Stairs will pop out, lolx

Edited by Whalegaga

For 3rd Gen Masionette, you can see the floorplan here which I've posted.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/4853-mansionette-owner/?p=868458

- I didn't remove any walls. Too small in fact to hack anyway. But I did reinstated back the Balcony and Service Balcony. I got a thing for unblocked feel. lolxx

- Kitchen is as per standard, you can only see L-shaped due to the layout. Cannot pattern too much haha.

- I can show you my stairs but to be honest, it's all concealed. If you're interested, you can pm me, we connect via social app or watsoever and I attached the pictures over, coz the picture is all in my phone and i am lazy to upload to those free sites whatsoever, haha

PS : by the way, there's a lot of stairs to be see, just google, all the renotalk Stairs will pop out, lolx

Your balcony is the standard 1 floor balcony whereas the service balcony is 2 storey height ya? :) Ok pm you later. Hee, thanks.

Meanwhile, bought the sink but forgot about the faucet (tap). Haha. Browsed a few online shops and catalogues, but design wise I don't really like those with the wire mesh springs for the pull out spray etc.. Saw a few fancy ones from Hansgrohe! But the faucet cost more than my sink. :jawdrop:

Hansgrohe Critterio M (Steel Optik) (US$422.81)51XWM-FjjkL._SL1000_.jpg

So yeah... **** expensive so yeah. cannot afford this indulgence for now. lol...

Go on to look at the same brand faucets to match instead.. Kraus.

Kraus KPF-1622 (Satin Nickel) (US$148.99)

31GdGAsojvL.jpg

Kraus KPF-2220SN (Satin Nickel) (US$160.99)

61NSpUQsmzL._SL1500_.jpg

Didn't know how to choose... so got my wife to random pick one. And of course, she picked the cheapest out of the lot. Hee.. so the Kraus KPF-1622 it is, in Satin Nickel option instead of the common chrome. Ordered via Amazon again.

One good news to share is that, for those who are keen in Kraus sinks, Amazon has recently just dropped the price for their 30" 32" Kraus sinks from $299.95 to $239.95! US$60 savings! I got mine at US$299.95 though. Only noticed the price drop recently while I was browsing for faucets. Contacted the customer service via Amazon chat to point out the price drop. Haha, guess what? Before I went on further, the CSO asked me if I would like a refund for the price difference! Wow, awesome customer service! Haha, of course that would be great. So yeah, with the US$60 savings, I went to purchase the faucet via Amazon US as well. Was so tempted to go for the Hansgrohe faucet.. But the CSO also mentioned that although it's a beauty, the price tag is really :jawdrop: . Hee... so order just placed, and will wait for the faucet to arrive.

Meanwhile, HDB Permit for the renovation and hacking works have also been approved! But then because the applied dates for hacking was 21,22,23 which is today and the permit was only granted yesterday evening, the contractor mentioned that it was too "last minute notice" and he couldn't arrange workers at such short notice. So he'll request with HDB to get dates for next week instead. :bleah:

Edited by mrbytez

So, HDB permit was granted for hacking on 27,28,29!

Contractor informed me that it was time to choose tiles for the kitchen flooring & wall. Went down to Soon Bee Huat (SBH) @ Toh Guan, wow... lots of tiles and a huge variety to choose from.
First thing I asked for was tiles that looked closest to cement screed... So, yup. There were a few colour and design variations, hard to decide.. But narrowed down to these 3-4 tiles. Price was pretty ok at approx $3 psf.

Living & Dining flooring will be cement screed, till budget allows in future, perhaps vinyl overlay for living area. Balcony flooring wise, perhaps artificial grass turf.

Still deciding between the first 2 (AT-3604/AT-3605) for the flooring.. 1st is darker while 2nd looks more close to cement screed, however they say the 2nd has a greenish tinge to it. 3rd (AT-3602) will be for the wall.

Also considering whether to use the big square tiles (60x60) for the flooring or the half sized rectangular tiling (30x60). Wall wise should be going with the half sized rectangular 30x60.

16347918775_fcd142d97c_z.jpg

16347040882_593cc9919e_z.jpg

16346174021_4c177b0ae2_z.jpg

16321974606_9c93851b36_z.jpg

16347919005_52a730ecf9_z.jpg

16321974506_8b60be7253_z.jpg

Edited by mrbytez

Some other interesting designs that I saw..

16160560980_f871a6883c_z.jpg

Was toying with the idea of topping up for these. Looks so nice... But might not match or fit in..

16347917715_13e63bd959_z.jpg

And the famous bricks..

15725494294_07d8248177_z.jpg

No wonder people always have a hard time choosing laminates...

16347918655_cfe9e0a6ca_z.jpg

16160329508_1b61a7d4b2_z.jpg

Edited by mrbytez

Went browsing @ Courts & Gain City after looking at all the tiles.

Looking at this LG Washer that features steam wash or the Samsung WD906U4SAGD (9/6KG Washer/Dryer).

15728241553_80cd9a97ee_z.jpg

Love those Side by Side/ French door refrigerators to bits! Somehow really attracted to them... Haha.. but Auto Ice Maker is a MUST.

LG GS-L5062PZ (Said to be assembled in Thailand)

16322236686_58820083ea_z.jpg

The Samsung RSH7UNSL (Made in Korea) looks much better and more stylish though. Look at the control display. You can choose from cubed or crushed ice... Interior is more spacious as well. However, there's a killer point. The samsung model requires plumbing, meaning you have to attach a hose for water supply to the back of the fridge for it to draw water to make ice and supply cold water. I hear that this kind of setup is much more troublesome, especially when it becomes faulty? Any feedback on this? I'm placing the fridge at the point where it used to be where the previous owners placed their washer, so tada, I do have water supply if I want to go ahead with this. Otherwise, I'll probably seal it off.

15725762154_77c8820666_z.jpg

16322236556_89884dc079_z.jpg

15725761944_a85a744673_z.jpg

An alternative choice will be the Hitachi French Door refrigerator. (Said to be assembled in Thailand)

16160827640_acfd8d058f_z.jpg

Any recommendations or feedbacks?

Edited by mrbytez

One thing I do not really like about Dual door Fridge is you have to cater enough space at both ends to allow both doors to be fully open.

And you should know, Masionette or 5A Masionette have incredibly small space for Kitchen.

Ended up for my case, I bought a Hitachi Fridge (R-SG37BPS) as it is tall, slim and slender. :wub::wub:

Otherwise, there's not much big space for Fridge.

One thing I do not really like about Dual door Fridge is you have to cater enough space at both ends to allow both doors to be fully open.

And you should know, Masionette or 5A Masionette have incredibly small space for Kitchen.

Ended up for my case, I bought a Hitachi Fridge (R-SG37BPS) as it is tall, slim and slender. :wub::wub:

Otherwise, there's not much big space for Fridge.

Haha, I like it cos of the "style" and space. But yeah, it has to claim the lead role, and be a star by itself. So nothing much to be placed beside the fridge. And yes indeed, that's why I am hacking the kitchen walls down.