Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Mimibubudog

Welcome To Mimibubudog Hm!

Start of the journey...

Hi everyone! We wanted to start this simple blog to pen down our ideas, thoughts and some of the memorable incidents throughout our reno journey. As both of us are quite reserved and man and woman of few words, there might be more photos here instead of words. So, do bear with us:)

Our future home is a 5 room flat at Yishun Greenwalk. We are one of the "late bloomers" since most residents have moved in already now. We actually collected our keys in late Jul. But we were going through a rough patch, my dog passed away during that period. So we really do not have the mood to source for ID, looking at reno ideas etc.

Here's some photos of our layout plan and pre-reno shots of our home to end my first post:

gallery_63949_622_150942.png

gallery_63949_622_45012.jpg

gallery_63949_622_56900.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Our ideas and wish list

We didn't wanted to follow any specific theme. Basically, we wanted to keep the reno simple simple, put together all the things we like and hopefully they will work out together.

Some of our initial ideas and must-have items in our house:

(1) brick wall like this. Love the tone and colour of the bricks

gallery_63949_622_161782.jpg

(2) "peranakan" or vintage looking tiles as backsplash like this

gallery_63949_622_52314.jpg

(3) wood grain looking tiles. our fav was parquet but drop the idea as it could difficult to maintain

(4) black metal framed up look like this either at kitchen or study room

gallery_63949_622_60735.png

(5) an open concept wardrobe

(6) a shoe cabinet

Our ideas and wish list

We didn't wanted to follow any specific theme. Basically, we wanted to keep the reno simple simple, put together all the things we like and hopefully they will work out together.

Some of our initial ideas and must-have items in our house:

I think your wish list looks good! Looking forward to your reno. Congrats on your new home. :)

I am sorry to hear about your dog.

Hi Doris & JohnB, thanks! Hopefully, everything goes fine too!

Selection of ID/Contractor

Being reno noobie, we didn't really know which renovator to look for. Thanks to Renotalk and all the contribtutions from fellow bloggers, we came down with a list of ID/contractors with good reviews and quickly contacted them for a meetup. Unfortunately, now is a reno peak season, some ID and contractors we contacted had to turn down our request as their work schedule is currently full.

In total, we met up with 6 ID & contractors. Generally, we are quite okay with everyone.Their quotations were also very close, with some being cheaper in certain areas, the others in others. So quite tough to make a comparision.

In the end, we chose Mr J & Mr E based on the following:

• Their core business is in carpentry works. They also took us to take a look at some of their completed and ongoing projects. We are quite pleased with their cabinets and stuff
  • good reviews in Renotalk. Also, we spoke to the owners of the open house. One owner feedback he actually don't want to open his house for visits, but because Mr J is so good and help them a lot, he agreed to open his house for visit. Basically, he left Mr J to do up his house and only visit during weekends. This feedback was critical to us as we are also bz during weekdays and only have time during weekends to monitor reno progress. So having a responsibe contractor who will take ownership is key to us.

Hopefully, we will have a smooth reno journey with Mr J and Mr E! :)

3D drawings:1st draft

Some 3D drawings drawn up by our contractor based on our wish list:

Living Rm:

gallery_63949_622_50687.jpg

Kitchen: Mt bf hates the milky off white laminiate. So we decide to go for black and white kitchen instead.

gallery_63949_622_103727.jpg

Also, think our contractor got other requirements wrong and drawn a full height glass and aluminium frame. Mr J says it's nicer but I think it will be too difficult to maintain. Also, we have intention to place a kitchen trolley or breakfast nook there, so a half height aluminum frame will be better for us

gallery_63949_622_30072.jpg

• Like 1

Tiles for our hm

We choose wood grain tiles for all the rooms.

Living Rm - Light grey wood tiles from Soon Bee Huat. We are worried that short plank wood tiles will make the room look small, so we topped up extra to get this tile. Hopefully, the effect will be good. The tiler warned us that there might be chances of warping for such long planks, so we are keeping our fingers crossed!

gallery_63949_622_5201.jpg

gallery_63949_622_26041.jpg

Study Rm - Tiles from Soon Bee Huat. We want a rustic vintage cosy study room. We think the wood tiles pattern might be able to achieve the look.

gallery_63949_622_19659.jpg

gallery_63949_622_125841.jpg

Wardrobe Rm - Almond coloured wood tiles from Harfary. this tile is much shorter than the ones in living rm. we hesitate for a while if we should also upgrade and get longer tiles for the bedrooms. But decided not due to budget and our room is sooo tiny. We thought after all the furnitures go in, no one will be able to see much of my tiles, so no point upgrading.

gallery_63949_622_47746.jpg

gallery_63949_622_68780.jpg

Master Bedroom - Similar series with wardrobe rm tiles, but darker. currently OOS. will post updates later.

I did not overlay my kitchen and toilets. No money liaoz as the tiles for the other rooms already cost me a bomb :(

Shopping spree: Taobao 1st purchase

There was the recent 1212 Taobao sale, went crazy shopping for my household stuff. This is our first time buying stuff from Tao Bao. We used Amcon for frieght service. Need to thank fellow bloggers in Renotalk again for all the tips to use Taobao and Amcon.

Here's a sneak preview of what we bought, will do a review later on the items purchased.

(A) Lights - this is the section I really went crazy. Bf asked whether we really need so many lights in our house. My reply was eh, dunno...buy then see how

gallery_63949_622_413720.png

gallery_63949_622_162124.png

gallery_63949_622_146752.png

(B) chairs

gallery_63949_622_335839.png

© Shelves

gallery_63949_622_93412.png

(D) Odds and ends

gallery_63949_622_472398.png

http://renotalk.com/forum/uploads/gallery_63949_622_93749.png

Hopefully, we will have a smooth reno journey with Mr J and Mr E! :)

Wishing you a smooth renovation journey with Mr J and Mr E, MimiBubuDog. Your tiles, 3D drawings and purchases all look good. :thumbs up:

Thanks JohnB!

More updates....

Mini crisis 1: False ceiling at Living Rm (termed "mini" as it has been resolved)

Our contractors told us they could not relocate the lightining points in our house and asked if we would like to install black conduit to hide the wires. But my bf does not like black conduit running along the ceiling. So the solution offered by our contractor is to install a very thin false ceiling (< 3 cm) to hide the wires and stuff. I was hesistant on it as I do not wish to have a lower ceiling which may make the room look smaller. However, we decided to go along the approach as they persuaded me that the effect will be negligible since it is juz a mere 2/3cm.

However, when we went inspect the works, I went :jawdrop:!! My false ceiling seems to look so much thicker! so i panicked and quickly borrow a measuring tape form contractors doing works next door. Indeed our 2/3 cm false ceiling has turned to a whopping 8-9cm!

gallery_63949_622_258657.png

I was so upset and shocked! So I called Mr E, told him what happed and arranged to meet the next day. somemore it was my bf's birthday. after we see the thick thick false ceiling, we already sianz 1/2 and no mood to celebrate.

we also told our friends who recently completed their reno and they prep us on what will likely happen based on their experience:

• our contractor will somehow manage to argue that we wanted it this way
  • he will somehow argue there is some site conditions and the false ceiling turned out like it. So we just have to accept it
  • he will acknowledge its his fault but the work is already done and rework is extensive so they will offer me a discount to swallow.
  • Some of them signed up with branded ID firms. frankly, i wanted to cry when i see what my friends told me all these. i know things won't be perfect but a thick false ceiling is really something I do not want. Even if it's free, I also don't want.

On the next day, Mr J came our house. Mr E told him the ceiling is indeed 8-9cm. Anyway the sub contractor's story was our ceiling is not levelled, so if he does a 2-3cm ceiling, my ceiling will look unlevelled. Mr J just smirked and tell Mr E to inform sub-contractor to redo the whole ceiling. Any areas "not levelled", ask the sub contractor to call him down see.

So we were happy the "mini crisis" is resolved. :) More glad that Mr J just promptly asked the sub contractor to redo the works. No pushing of responsibilities or asking us acccept works that we do not want. so thumbs up for them! :good:

Here's some photos of my rectified ceiling to end this mini crisis saga!

gallery_63949_622_7730.jpg

gallery_63949_622_14527.jpg

Edited by Mimibubudog

Tiles and mosaic tiles @ Yishun Greenwalk page

I don't know about other residents at Yishun Greenwalk, but I totally hate HDB's tiles and mosaic tiles at toilet area. Firstly, the colour is off, I think it's quite difficult to match with most themes like scandi, industrial? Actually, after talking to my friends, the colour is still bearable. One of my friends was telling me her tiles are "kertupat green colour" so she have no choice but to overlay her toilets. Secondly, the workmanship is bad, especially the toilet areas. some of the mosaic sinking in and some popping out. Any fellow Yishun Greenwalkers here? Do you guys like the tiles?

so as part of our reno works, I insist all the tiles have to be removed. Unfortunately, when the tiler came my place, they told me the toilet tiles are too near to the water pipes. So if he remove the tiles, the pipes may be affected. So cannot remove the tiles :( Due to budget constraint and we think it may not be durable to overlay the tiles, we decide to keep the mosaic tiles lo..

But they manage to remove the kitchen tiles! some photos to share...

Before photos - Hate the colour! :bleah:

gallery_63949_622_236522.png

And they are gone.............

gallery_63949_622_220749.png

After photos- used the tiles of my kitchen backsplash. too bad, the tiler has to cut the tiles. otherwise it will be much nicer

gallery_63949_622_177256.png

gallery_63949_622_751078.png

Taobao lighting page - the misses

Today is lights installation day! After looking around at the lighting shops in Singapore, we concluded the lights in Singapore is too ex, especially for the type of lights we like. So we decide to risk it and purchase ALL our lights from Taobao and Ali Express. Generally the sellers ship to Amcon warehouse very fast, we didn;t have any problems for the shipping. Unlike some of the furniture seller, which I will save the rants for anoother post later. So here's a report on the hits and misses for the lights.

Let's start off with the misses...

Misses 1: "LED light"

gallery_63949_622_51559.png

Bought this light because it looks very sleek, wanted to place it at my service yard and toilets. However, when the electrician saw the light this morn. He said "Eh...this one cannot put on ceiling. It's a down light". Luckily I only bought 1 to test the quality!

If ever any Reno bloggers like this downlight, please feel free to pm me, since we can't use it anyway.

Misses 2: Study light 1

gallery_63949_622_93892.png

This is a big MISSES because:

• i ordered the wrong colour thanks to my poor chinese. so instead of black rod, i ordered white. but it still looks alright to me
  • one of the glass lamps was broken when we open the box
  • even if the glass lamp was not broken, our electrician also told us it cannot be used because the opening of the glass funnel was too big, so we can't attach it (see below)

gallery_63949_622_132742.png

So it's either we do without the glass lamps, so look like this with different artisan bulbs. Or we have to buy another lighting over this weekend.

gallery_63949_622_104.png

But my bf thinks it is very ugly..what do you think?

Edited by Mimibubudog

Taobao lighing page - the okays

There were quite a few okays. Generally, I think the Tao Bao lights turn out as per in the webby, did not disappoint us.

Study light 2: wall lamp

gallery_63949_622_53205.png

I knew this will be a risky move. Unlike the usual pendant or ceiling lights, this come with a wall mechanism. so I was quite worried the actual piece might not turn out nice or the wall mechanism may not work.

gallery_63949_622_53854.png

Here's how it looks like when installed. Would say the design is nice, like the webby. would have classify it as "hits". however, the wall mechanism isn't so good, the glass lamp will tilt when we stretch the wall lamp too much.. so have to downgrade it as "okays" only

Master bedroom light 2:

this was the light which spur us to purchase lamps from taobao. this lamp costs $100 plus at Heritage Bathroom without the bulb. think it was less than $30 at Tao Bao. Sorry for the poort quality photo, lamps still wrapped in plastic

gallery_63949_622_258726.png

Wardrobe room pendant lights

Both lights were as per webby. not much comments

gallery_63949_622_43566.png

Taobao lighting page - the hits

Here's my favourite lightings...

Rank 4: Master bedroom lighting

gallery_63949_622_119165.png

This will be on top of my bed. I think it gives a soft romantic feel. The photo below does not do justice to the real thing. It's much much nicer when lighted up in the dark. Maybe I will post another photo later...

Rank 3: Kitchen pendant lights

gallery_63949_622_276627.png

the only misfortunate thing was the 2 big glass panels was broken. nevertheless we decide to mount it cause it;s such a beauty. Think we will either try contacting the taobao seller to send us the glass again or we will custom make glass panels in Sg. Or we will just make do without the glass panels. Really really like the design so given it as "hits" even with the missing glass panels

Rank 2: Walkway pendant lights

gallery_63949_622_61437.png

love the design. saw this in a sg shop selling at $300. got this less than $100..how not to love it????

Rank 1: Dinning area pendant lights

This is my favourite lighting. Also another risky move as the design was too elaborate..the electrician took 2-3 hours to assemble it. But the end effect is soooo prettty! Told the electrician this light is my baobei

Photos of my bao bei

Taobao photo

gallery_63949_622_117255.png

After installation

gallery_63949_622_16033.png

Lights on

gallery_63949_622_101.jpg