Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
AngleFire

Living Room Floor - To Hack Or Not To Hack

Hi all,

I have chosen to use KRONOs Original hardwood laminate flooring for my two bedrooms. I would like a seamless ending so have spent to hack the existing floor tiles and work is now in progress.

I did not intend nor have budgeted to change the flooring of the existing living area. However, my id has recommended to overlay it with the same wood flooring due to:

1) existing condition is not good - very old retro tiles with chipped corners here and there

2) he says they will 'warp' in time after hacking and laying the wooden laminate from the two bedrooms and most important and which I find quite incredilous is that

3) he said that due to the 'hollowness' of the existing tiles, when they do the endings at the joints between the bedroom and living floor area, there will be cracks due to the hacking and they WILL NOT be able to use/find 'matching tiles' to replace and the end result will not look good

honestly, I was quite shocked and very disappointed. Now it seems I have no choice but to continue the wood laminate all the way to the living area. He has suggested overlaying it at the living area to cut costs (as I was strict about this unbudgeted item yet i want a seamless joint). I am ok to spent another $1500 just to make it smooth and nice for everyone. However, as I am using a light ash grey for the two bedrooms, it will not look good to extend it to the living - the whole place will look too 'greyish' even though I know grey is 'in' but I'm not going for an 'industrial' look. I wanted to use a brown tone for the living floor that has alot more wood grains on it and matches my cabinets colors...but again, having two different will end up with a 't-joint' that he will need to use at the joints!? So I'm like back to a catch-22 situation :(

any suggestions?experiences? Please kindly share/advise.

3 room resale @ Hougang

Reno started - week 1

Reno feature - Hacking of storeroom in place of a bar counter :)

Chalkboard feature and planters above rubbish chute

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Wouldn't the room look 'shorter'? hmmm. Did he charge you to raising the level? If he charged you wouldn't the price difference be lesser if you hacked and retiled the living hall?

Didn't the ID inform you prior to this? He should have eh. the differentiation in height is a big issue that should be highlighted when discussing about the things to do.

Never mentioned prior. He did not charge for raising the level. His quotation for hacking the living was $500. plus another $400 for cement laying. I refused and asked for alternative so he came up with this 'solution'.. anyway that's why this ID 'CMI" and having so much issues with them. Sigh!

I guess you're right but it wouldn't be that much 'shorter' right?

My friend's 4 room resale renovated his whole house and overlaid to save cost. He said the difference is small but noticeable. felt ' Ya Po Gan' if you know what i mean hahaha.

Best of luck that nothing else crop up for your renovation man.

yeah fingers cross again. Anyway, my flooring's all done. will post up pix if allswell..btw, I contacted Wilson, his prices indeed cheaper but I don't dare to use his service leh ;)

Hi AngleFire! I also bought a resale, and to save cost was considering overlaying the exisiting tiles to save on hacking cost. May I know why you just choose to hack and then place laminates over the bedroom instead of just overlaying it?