Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Gingereve

Jumbo Bnb

Very useful reno tips for noobs and others. Just wanted to add another point about wall mounting TV through my experience. In my previous place, I had wall mounted my TV. The viewing height and distance was optimal. Naturally, I decided to upsize to a larger TV within a year. However after wall mounting the larger TV, I found that I was looking slightly upwards. It took some getting used to but we really shouldn't have to subject ourselves to poor ergonomics. Of course, the alternative is to remove the bracket and reinstall but that requires more work and effort to clear the mess. Also depends on whether there is any obstruction in the vicinity of the TV. Anyway for my new place, I decided not to wall mount to allow flexibility for compulsory future TV upgrades! The loose cables can be organised and kept neat mostly away from sight. Ergonomics is really paramount compared to aesthetics but both can be balanced anyway.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hello looneygas! Yah... it makes it even worse when "Mrs Always Right" is of a very different height than me. My wall mounting story is an eventful one. I was perfectly happy with it being on the stand on the TV console, however I got it wall mounted for the screen to be closer to the wall to accommodate a projector screen (projector idea was eventually junked).

Wall mounting for me was a biiigggg mistake as it was mounted too high. =(. But we were lucky as the wall mount design is one that can be adjusted by taking down the screen and unscrewing the adjustable bracket behind the TV (Maybe you can try this? But be careful not to crack your tv screen. Minimum 2 man/woman job!).

Very useful reno tips for noobs and others. Just wanted to add another point about wall mounting TV through my experience. In my previous place, I had wall mounted my TV. The viewing height and distance was optimal. Naturally, I decided to upsize to a larger TV within a year. However after wall mounting the larger TV, I found that I was looking slightly upwards. It took some getting used to but we really shouldn't have to subject ourselves to poor ergonomics. Of course, the alternative is to remove the bracket and reinstall but that requires more work and effort to clear the mess. Also depends on whether there is any obstruction in the vicinity of the TV. Anyway for my new place, I decided not to wall mount to allow flexibility for compulsory future TV upgrades! The loose cables can be organised and kept neat mostly away from sight. Ergonomics is really paramount compared to aesthetics but both can be balanced anyway.

One JUMBO xls to Rule Them All! [http://jumbobnb.wordpress.com/2015/01/20/one-jumbo-xls-to-rule-them-all/]

We have consolidated all our contacts for the various purchases and work done. This is a consolidation of our adventures along Jalan Besar/Balestier Road/Ubi Industrial Estate, various online stores (including Taobao/FortyTwo/q100), EXPO Electronic Fairs, EXPO Home Fairs, various furniture show rooms.

A few things to note:

1. We have removed all pricing details as we feel it is best and fair that you guys contact them directly. Please do not PM us as the pricing would have changed due to the time lapse. Also we were given some discounts due to bulk purchases.

2. Heh the contacts are available for use at your own risk. We are sharing them on a bona fide basis. The good news is that our stuff are still standing and have not fallen apart. Yet. Touch wood.

3. Hope you guys find it useful. Here’s the link:

http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IV4NdYiN9f41DHo6wXCPIbwY4oiJ-l8EJ5gG8YUQW_8/edit#gid=1461080212

Edited by Gingereve

Th Sad Ironman Story [http://jumbobnb.wordpress.com/2015/01/20/the-sad-ironman-story/]

One of the highlights of Jumbo was my Ironman wall lights. After getting purchase and installation approval (from Mrs Always Right), we managed to buy it online and were so looking forward to installing it.

Being OCD (me), we measured the wall multiple times, did various marking to ensure that the wall crack sticker and the Ironman Mask is right @ the center of the wall and straight. We were so **** proud of ourselves when the mask was up….

ironman2.jpg?w=225&h=300

… then to our HORROR….we realised that there was no space left for the HAND!!!! -.-. Arrrrgggghhhhh! Yes yes, a few of our friends said that we can squeeze in the hand at the edge.. but then it would not be PERFECT. It was one of the saddest night of the renovation process (feeling stupid and frustrated)….BUT, luckily there is always the Internet, the solutions provider to almost all of mankind’s problems. We ordered an extra set of wall crack stickers from a Canadian Company and waited… hoping that they don’t swindle our money…

3 Weeks later…..

ironman3.jpg?w=268&h=353ironman-hj1.jpg?w=352&h=245

Finally, life is good again. Lessons learnt:

1. When mounting/sticking things on the wall, mark out position for EVERY PART first before drilling the first hole.

2. When removing stickers from the wall, use a hair-drying to melt the glue first to avoid peeling the paint off.

3. To order Ironman Wall Lights you can try sms.ing: +65-91175993. However I think it is currently out of stock.

Edited by Gingereve

The World's Smallest Toilet [http://jumbobnb.wordpress.com/2015/01/20/the-worlds-smallest-toilet/]

When we introduce the toilets to our visitors, we often have various ways of describing it:

The World’s Smallest Toilet, Where one can Bathe/****/Pee & Brush Teeth at the same time, and my favourite – the Self-Cleaning Toilet.

In old HDB 3-Room flats, there is a bathroom for shower and a separate bathroom for the WC (see post to see what it looked like). But we were very determined that we wanted to create to have 2 separate toilets – one common toilet and one ensuite toilet to the Master Bedroom. Our discussions with potential IDs often revolved around this and the IDs who vehemently opposed to the idea were naturally eliminated from our shortlist. We knew that it was possible as another flat in the same block did it, so we knew we had to do it.

Our main barrier was: Is it physically possible? Taking into consideration the current arrangement with the wastepipes, pipes for toiletbowls etc etc.

How we overcame it would be too technical and non-relevant to the most of you out there. BUT considering the the endless discussions with the ID/plumber and the tiring scouring for a suitable WC with a L-shaped pipe and toilet bowl with a tap at the cistern plus rust-resistant toilet fittings and how to place them in the toilet, we feel that our world’s smallest toilet well deserves a post on its own.

a-brownie-toilet.jpg?w=199&h=300 b-toilet.jpg?w=200&h=300

a-toilet.jpg?w=300&h=199

Our ONLY regret:

We didn’t know that the default waste traps in the contract are the white plastic type [which doesnt really go nicely with the industrial look]. However, it is installed very early when the tiler laid the floor tiles. And the only way to reverse it is to hack away the floor tiles and re-tile everything again. So please please check with your ID what waste traps he is giving you before tiling starts.

Hihi! Yes Citygas powers up my cooking hob, water-heater and clothes dryer. And we love it! =). For Rain Shower the only options are (1) City Gas or (2) Storage Heater. With City Gas, you enjoy almost instant warm water, whereas for the storage tank you need to wait awhile for the water to heat up. On a side note - the dryer is great too! Hahah

Hahaha that's good to hear for you! My sister's one didn't work so well leh - getting bouts of hold and cold showers so she is looking to change...

btw, love your cute toilet sign heehee

Bought my own waste traps and gave it to contractor, to ensure no mistake! Maybe that's a better option as they will then definitely remember as they see it lying physically around

Thanks Vanleoleo! Sorry to hear about your sis's citygas, hot and cold is not pleasant :(

We got the toilet sign from Taobao!

Hahaha that's good to hear for you! My sister's one didn't work so well leh - getting bouts of hold and cold showers so she is looking to change...

btw, love your cute toilet sign heehee

Hi Doris, haha that's a good idea! And just keep on reminding them about it.. All the best with your reno journey

Hope we can remember all these things so that if we ever have another reno, we can avoid this....

Bought my own waste traps and gave it to contractor, to ensure no mistake! Maybe that's a better option as they will then definitely remember as they see it lying physically around

My Space - The Kitchen! [http://jumbobnb.wordpress.com/2015/01/22/my-space-the-kitchen/]

I thought decisions revolving around the kitchen was going to be simple since only one person was going to be making them (me). Designing the kitchen involved reading reno-tips, reflection on my work processes, discussions with ID and asking a lot of friends. Below is a sampling of the questions that I grappled with. Good luck.

• Do you need an built-in oven?

If you dont bake often, this is a luxury item, as it takes up valuable space in a kitchen (now kitchens all so tiny) and it isn’t cheap!! So why did I get an oven? I was a fond baker before, and in case I get back to my spirited days, I gotta have that built-in oven. If not what will happen to all my trays that I bought before. Instead of going for a high-end model e.g., Borsch/Ariston (that cost over $1000), I went for a simple one, the Fujioh FBO-9 http://fujioh.sg/oven_products.php (made in China). Borsch had a lower-end model HBN331E2J, but it only had 5 heating methods that DIDNT have the one I wanted for baking – top and bottom heat WITH Fan (better distribution of heat). Anyway, my friend bought an Elba oven also made in China that was functioning fine and she is an avid baker. The Fujioh design also black tempered glass – looks modern too.

My Fujioh is working fine so far. I have baked more than 5 times using the oven. Plus I got a deal for the oven cos I bought a Fujioh gas stove and hob too.

wpid-img-20150122-wa0005.jpg?w=169&h=300 wpid-img-20150122-wa0004.jpg?w=169&h=300

• What kind of stove?

As we decided to use Citygas, it was natural that I got a gas stove (as opposed to an induction stove, although some ppl do prefer induction for its quick-heating and safety features). I chose Fujioh due to their inner flame technology. I know that Rinnai has the inner flame tech too and is supposed to be made in Japan, but I read raving reviews about the FX900 hood.

So, the inner flame is really good. The pan heats up very very quickly! I still havent gotten use to how hot the flame can get, so I end up over-cooking my food. ;( I am a bit apprehensive about the hood, it doesnt seem to be as good as the reviews say, not sure if it is installed correctly…

• Double or Single Sink?

I liked a double sink because when washing the dishes, I can put the dirty ones on one side, and then soap one by one and put in the clean side and wash the soapped dishes at one go in the clean side. Neat right? Esp if I dont really have the table top space to put all the dirty dishes beside the sink.

The side that is supposed to be bigger cannot fit very big woks/frying pan. Some people say that after a while the smaller side just becomes useless or at the most functions as a dustbin. ;(((

For me, I dont use a big wok, just frying pan, so still can fit. And I am determined that the small side wont become a dustbin.

• Kitchen Table Top

While you have figured that I was obsessed with white, i was clear that I did not want white for the kitchen table top. I read reviews that white (even quartz or the china version quartz) is still susceptible to stains esp tumeric and curry. And I didnt want the grey/blackish granite cos I felt that it would be too dark. Our ID introduced us to Kompacplus top that is supposedly scratch-proof and dent-proof. I immediately liked the wooden colours. Bf was very skeptical cos Kompacplus is relatively new in the market and is very thin – how could something so thin be better than granite (his fav). But that is where unilateral decision making is useful and I got the Kompacplus. Kompaccplus comes in different wood colours.

wpid-img-20140908-wa00101.jpg?w=168&h=30

I initially wanted 10.30, which I think goes very well with white and is the brightest. BUT i think it is the most popular as well. When ID wanted to buy it, it was out of stock and would only come in 3 weeks! Cant wait that LONG. So we settled for 10.40. [Pls order in advance if you getting 10.30 pls]

Final Product:

wpid-20150122_194857.jpg?w=300&h=225 wpid-img-20140918-wa0001.jpg?w=300&h=225

I think that it is quite nice.I must admit that it DOES look rather thin compared to other kitchen tops. Goes nicely with white laminate for one kitchen and beige laminate for another,

Till today, Bf is still waiting for a dent or scratch.

• Height of Kitchen Table Top

Most carpenters put the height as a default ranging from 84 – 86cm. If you have any preferences, or you are shorter/taller than the average Singaporean, pls go and measure the ht of the kitchen table top you are used to let your ID know. This one cannot change after they manufacture the cupboards etc.

• Kitchen Backing – Subway tiles/glass/tiles?

EVERYONE, i mean everyone is laying subway tiles – all cafes have it. So pretty and very cafe style! But can you image the dirt and grim that get stuck in between the tiles? Very soon the white tiles will start turning yellow at the edges.. and black in between. If I haven’t mentioned, Bf also said that as I can make all decisions regarding the kitchen, it also means I am the only one cleaning it. Pls scold him for me.

subway-tiles.jpg?w=300&h=213Pic taken fromhttps://www.facebook.com/Kompacplus

I was considering aluminium/metal backing (indestructible as my friend said) or just plain tiles, but I went with glass instead because I like the tinted greenish tiffany-blue like colour (although I read bad reviews that glass can possibly crack due to high heat etc etc). And there wont be the issue of grim getting trapped in between tiles.

Tip: if you are installing any rods into the kitchen wall with the glass backing, pls purchase them before hand and get your contractor to measure and drill the holes into the glass before sticking the glass on the wall

Just so much to consider for one small kitchen…

Edited by Gingereve

I really love your posts! very good info, esp the information from Taobao… Very Very useful! i shd consider when i get my home hopefully this year. i am a bad navigator and this is superb info!

Ya loor poor sis she switched to a brand called Ariston haaa

Dear Vanleoleo,

All the best with your new home, and dont get too addicted to Taobao! Glad you like our posts. Apologies for the late reply. Q1 2015 has been busy!

We just came back from JB. Achievement unlocked - we lugged back a ceiling fan and a Panasonic heater (bought from nice uncle from YES electric) on the bus across the causeway.

I really love your posts! very good info, esp the information from Taobao… Very Very useful! i shd consider when i get my home hopefully this year. i am a bad navigator and this is superb info!

Ya loor poor sis she switched to a brand called Ariston haaa

IKEA Loot! [http://jumbobnb.wordpress.com/]

For all new home owners, IKEA is a must visit place (an undying love we cultivated with cheap furnishing & hotdog buns since our poor hostelite days). There has been much debate over the pros and cons of IKEA furnishing quality, the most recent been the Kitchen Cabinet Incident which was eventually made good by IKEA. Below are our (a proud member since 2000) thoughts on IKEA :

1. Service: IKEA has great service staff & return policy! I haven’t had a bad experience there in in 15 years; whenever I have a problem, service recovery was prompt and great!

2. Quality: Hmm… here’s where we must be discerning. You get what you pay for – nothing more nothing less. I generally avoid the big wooden items (i.e. wardrobes/beds/sofas) as compressed wood degenerates quite quickly over time compared to solid wood. I find that IKEA’s metal furnishing are generally great. If you assemble them yourself, you will marvel at the design and engineering involved – how assembly have to be made easy and how the pieces must be flat-packed. A strange but true observation is that items assemble by IKEA Staff seems more sturdy and last longer…

3. Pricing: Generally good. However if your pieces need transport and/or assembly (I find these services are overpriced by the 3rd party that IKEA engages) then places like Forty Two, Lazada, vHive and Novena probably can give IKEA a run for the money. Also remember to drop by AS-IS to treasure hunt for cheapo deals!

So here’s our list of IKEA Loot with their corresponding stories:

1. HELMER Drawer Unit ($39 – IKEA 2014 Christmas Daily Sales) – now $69 though

wpid-20150124_100607.jpg?w=225&h=300

Fun to assemble! Comes with wheels and can double up as Bed side table. We use it to store various trinkets and random documents. Comes with sticker for labeling each drawer.

BEDROOM FURNISHING

a-brownie.jpg?w=300&h=199

2. SELJE Bedside Table ($19.90 -IKEA Family Member Special Offer) – now $39.90 though

Left side of photo: Useful for putting your before-sleeping story book. Your handphone charging cable can be pulled through the small hole in the drawer

3. Micke Desk ($99.90)

Right side of photo: Due to it’s skinny profile, we managed to squeeze it into our tiny bedroom. drawers come in useful.

4. MOLGER Shelving Unit ($79)

Right corner photo: Found a small place to squeeze it in. Useful for towels etc.

5. MOLGER Bench ($49)

One of the most versatile piece of furnishing. Can be a shoe rack/sitting bench/coffee table/TV Rack!

wpid-20150124_101756.jpg?w=300&h=225 wpid-20150124_100636.jpg?w=300&h=225

6. NITTORP TV Bench ($99)

Simple and easy to assemble. The alternative was a wooden console by Jotter Goods which cost $1300+. Glad that we got this piece!

wpid-20150124_100932.jpg?w=300&h=225 wpid-20150124_100843.jpg?w=300&h=225

Edited by Gingereve

IKEA Loot! (Con't) [http://jumbobnb.wordpress.com/]

7. TROFAST Storage

We use this as a shoe storage rack. Also useful for stuff spare plastic bags etc. Do note the height of your window grilles to ensure that your shoe rack can fit under it.

wpid-20150124_100541.jpg?w=300&h=225

8. INGO Dining Table with ADDE Chair Combination

Value for money combi. Used for our secondary dining room.

b-dining-kitchen.jpg?w=300&h=200

9. TARENDO Table ($49)

Can google online for images. Sturdy and Cheap! If you prefer white, go for MELLTORP Series ($69)!

10. And lastly.. lots and lots and lots of RUSCH Clocks ($1.50)

A panel of clocks showing local time in major cities of various time zones is a must-have in all hostels! So we got the clocks (mostly because of the price!) and made the sign boards (taobao). But alas, it was not to be as ALL our friends commented that it would make our wall too cluttered =(. So now we have many many random clocks lying around the house…

wpid-20150125_102214.jpg?w=300&h=225