Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
shibumi

How Many Kinds Of "2-Way" Switch Implementation Are There?

Hi fellows. May I know how many kinds of 2-way switch implementation are there? It seems like there is a kind of 2-way switching that does not require the (light) switch itself to be a "2-way" while there is another kind that requires the physical switch to be 2-way. My own impression is that 2-way switches simply means the same single appliance, e.g. one lamp, to be able to be powered on/off from 2 physical switches. What's the other kind?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The other kind is an electronic switch. Suppose you have 2 lights; it toggles between off, one light on and both lights on.

It is not actually a 2 way switch, though it can act like one.

More common is 1 or multiple lights controlled by 2 or more physical switches.

You are better off with the physical type; i.e. two physical 2 way switches. You can have 3 or more if you want. Very reliable.

There are two different ways of wiring physical 2 way switches but the net effect is the same.

Two way switches are such a convenience especially if you don't have to get out of bed and fumble in the dark to on/off the room or toilet light.