Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
X6GT

Chronicles Of A Simple Bathroom Without Gold Taps

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

For standard items like TV, lights, tiles, marble etc you can buy from one supplier and get another contractor to install. But for customised items like made-to-measure glass panels, I personally feel it is better to engage a supply and install contractor, or at least a supplier who can install for you. A lot of things can go wrong or be less than complete. The glass may be scratched or it does not fit properly. Or it may not be sturdy enough etc. The installer will blame the supplier. The supplier will blame the installer. The slight savings in getting the glass direct may not be worth it.

Actually, I think the correct sequence is to install the glass panels first. The fittings should be the last things to be installed in every bathroom. That has always been my practice. There are only so many locations to install the glass panels. For fittings (tower rack, soap dish, shower head etc), they can be up, down, left or right. What I do is mark out using masking tape on the wall the intended location of the fittings but I find that after installing the glass panels, I sometimes have to change the fitting location e.g. the towel rack must be shifted so that the glass door will not hit it.

No need 10 years' experience drilling lah! Just make sure (a) new masonry drill bit (b) drill NOT in hammer mode © confidence in yourself. I started after being taught by my neighbour and till this date, i have yet to break any tile. I have a step by step guide on my blog here.

Hi KSToh! Thanks for dropping by...

1. I agree about the blame shifting game.. and. Totally agree with you sometimes the savings you get is not worth the hassle. But if the savings is more than $200 leh...? What's your take on it?

2. Hmmm.. What you said does make sense, that the glass should be installed first because there are only so many places (one) we can install the shower screen. But I guess what I meant is that the Measuring should be last.

Actually initially I called JY to measure the glass area first because I was kiasu wanted them to make it quickly...but he told me I need to 'do everything else first' then call him.

As a result, I installed everything and the plumbing guy also installed the rack too close to the track. I did not know the top track of the screen was going to be so fat.

3. Haha... by 10yrs experience in drilling, I meant just handling drills in general. Not that you need to be working as a contractor or handyman for 10yrs kind of experience! While it's definitely true that you need confidence, I had a lot of confidence (I was very haolian I could do it) but that did not stop my test tile from breaking LOL.

I guess better for me to err on the side of caution and to advise other forumners to exercise the same caution...otherwise they too gung ho then spoil their tiles then blame me for defective advice! :D

And YES bro your tutorial on drilling is very helpful...! Everyone who wants to attempt, pls check out KSToh's neatly organised Tblog... :)

Glass company review Part 2 (Nan Huat)

6m9G7B2.jpg

LeYvPvT.jpg

For those who are OCD and perfectionist, I advise you don't watch them do their work... I almost had a heart attack seeing these:

6ZLHB0Z.jpg

ZbE2paz.jpg

Edited by X6GT

Glass company review Part 3 (Nan Huat)

Definitely need to touch up after they install your glass door lo... :dunno:

wyz9kta.jpg

Q8a7TQu.jpg

Sjth9fk.jpg

After installing, and installing the film (both sandblasted and a black pattern you can't really see maybe) onto the door:

gNaW8d2.jpg

Edited by X6GT

Glass company review Part 4 (Nan Huat)

Next we come to the shower screen, which is 1 fixed and 1 sliding. Now, a few months after the reno, I actually feel that I could have done away with the sliding and saved some money... :( The sliding is redundant actually if you know how to 'shower properly' without making a mess.

Oh, wait. That's exactly why I had the sliding part-- because those people who use this bathroom don't know how to shower without making a mess! :angry2:

Initially I had issues with the rubber strip (yes, I'm very ngiau and OCD. so??? lol) :

ohIXEu9.jpg

WYyIx60.jpg

igBzop4.jpg

But I guess, now after a few months the rubber has ceased to be a problem.

The faint scratch-like marks on the shower screen itself, JY said it's "normal" so there was nothing I could do about it.

But overall OK la I guess. Like I said, very value for money so I would recommend if you are on a tight budget. 8/10

paue28a.jpg

gJ3umF0.jpg

Hi X6GT, may I know where you get your vanity cabinet from?

Can take a close up of it?

What's the dimension & how much is it?

Many thanks in advance & ... Your perseverance to complete your toilet makeover is admirable.

Hi X6GT

A shout out to you as I've enjoyed reading about your bathroom reno journey. Like you, I'm a fan of European bathroom fittings and also quite OCD myself so I totally felt you as I was going through your posts hahaha! I'm glad you managed to overlook some of the minor imperfections in view of the bigger picture (as I often find difficult to do myself!) and here's wishing you many happy years using your bathroom! :)

• Like 1

Hi Khng...! Sorry soooo late response. Still in the midst of Phase 2 reno.

I was also trying to find my post where I complained abt the rude Hafary PRC delivery guy (because I also wrote in that post praising the other PRC guys who delivered my sink and vanity)... but it seems to have disappeared! Hmmmm. Renotalk mods, what's this sia... Hafary paid you to take it down is it?!? :no:

Anyway, I bought the vanity at Hoe Kee IMM. Wah very long time ago... The details are as follows:

Name: Roz RT-024-B (Rect basin cabinet full black s/s)

Measurements: 59x45cm

Price: $380 (after GST)

Oh btw... The one on display wasn't so nice, it was maybe silver or something. But when I went to pay, the lau ban niang asked me if I wanted that colour or if I wanted full black. Of course I was happy to choose full black.

Sorry am a bit busy to take the pic of it close up (I don't live in that house)... but when I get the chance, I will do so for you. Hopefully. No promises tho :P

And ya, thanks.. need perseverance to do these kind of things. And TIME... omg if I wasn't on a sabbatical, there's no way I would ever be able to do all this after work hours/weekends!

Edited by X6GT

Hi five, Eastlovin! Heheee... fellow OCD-er :jammin: Thanks for your well wishes. Glad to know I may have been of some entertainment help to other Renotalkers.

How's your reno goin??

Err.. "I totally felt you" sounds really, really wrong. Ahahahaa...just kidding la. Cheers, have a good weekend!

Edited by X6GT

Hi X6GT, hahaha! I actually completed my reno late last year with the original intention of documenting the entire experience but I just never got down to doing so! By the way, what a coincidence but I'm also on sabbatical! I totally agree with you about not being able to manage the renovations otherwise. By the way, I see you mentioned "Phase 2 reno"- what's that all about?! You have a good weekend too!

Are shower fittings from usa and uk the same? If ordering online, how to b sure that the threads can be used locally?

When renovating a bathroom, you can choose all these fixtures in the same style to make your bathroom be coherent. Since you have bought the matte black faucet and pipe lies, I would recommend you install other bathroom accessories such as the shower caddy, toilet paper holder, and towel bar that come with matte black finish.

Modern Shower Caddy (28).jpg

5.jpg