Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Yolo

Industrial Is On The Rage!

Applied for our 5 room BT0 in November 2011.

Since then, been lurking around this t-blog section looking for ideas/inspiration for our new and first home.

Told my wife i'm interested in the industrial theme. After showing her some pictures, she gave the green light and we settled for industrial theme.

Knowing what we want for the design, we decided to go straight for contractors instead of ID to save cost.

After reading many industrial t-blogs here, we shortlisted 3 contractors for a meet up.

1) valia***

2) Jimmy from 3D Inn*******

3) The popular Mr K

Our budget is set at $40k. Quotations came back from the 3 of them ranging from $43-45k. Seeing not much difference in price, we decided to choose Mr K as his works are proven in many t-blog here. Paid a deposit and waited for our keys from HDB

Finally we collected our keys in January 2015 and the renovation journey began. .

IMG-20141111-WA0002.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Tiles.. tiles.. tiles...

We went around the usual suspect like hafary, soon bee huat, lian seng hin to look for tiles.

For living room, we looked for cement screed homogeneous tiles. Lots of pattern/color tone to choose from. Price wise, $2.80-$3.20.

Bedroom tiles are 15×60, wooden looking homogeneous tiles. Again, wide variety of color tone, texture and pattern.

To complete the look, we decided to overall the kitchen and toilet as well.The 3D subway tile is used for kitchen wall. As 3D ones are more costly, we used the flat ones for toilet walls.

We choose the honeycomb tiles for the Kitchen and toilet flooring. The kitchen ones are bigger in size and matte finishing.

Ordered all from hafary as they have wider variety and selection..

Living room tile

20150119_115333.jpg

Bedroom tiles

20150119_115339.jpg

Toilet and kitchen

20150119_115415.jpg

Brick wall

20150125_160855.jpg

20150125_160916.jpg

Brick wall as the feature wall in the living room. We Choose the california color code. Think hafary is selling $95 per carton but only 85RM in JB. For those with vehicle, can make a trip to their warehouse in jb to buy, save alot of money.

Edited by Yolo

Day 12: Toilet and kitchen tiles in progress..

20150130_160747.jpg

20150130_160835.jpg

20150130_160823.jpg

Electrical wiring is done, didnt add much lighting point, mostly using the original points. only relocated a few points and switches. Damage is $1500..

Basin/mixer/kitchen sink/hood hob

Spend the off day walking around jalan besar. Managed to visit royal franco/ Gr link/ poh seng/ poh joo/adamas / hoe kee/hupfarri all nearby each other to compare prices.

At first we thought of changing the WC and buy a baron W888 /inspire 6081 and also a black rainshower but decided not to, abit wasteful to just throw away the ones given buy hdb. So we are looking out for more important stuff like the basin,granite kitchen sink,mixer, etc.

For the kitchen sink, our eyes were set on a granite sink. we planned on getting the blanco kitchen sink from hoe kee but decided to save the money instead and get carysil.

For kitchen and bathroom mixer, we are looking for black coloured taps but not much in the market, mainly are NTL and Luxes..

For kitchen hood,again not much option for black colour. Manage to find turbo and ariafina (too ex for us)..so we settled for a turbo hood and hob.

Many recommended heritage at geylang and we swing by there for a quote, prices are cheaper than shops in jalan besar, so we bought everything there.

20150112_180423.jpg

20150117_190112.jpg

20150117_191955.jpg

20150117_191412.jpg

20141109_171120.jpg

Edited by Yolo

Furnitures..

Locally, we been to lorgans, second charm, likethatone, journeyeast for industrial chic furnitures..

but we decided to try travelling to bangkok to see if there is anything worth buying before deciding..

Papaya thailand

A vintage store in bangkok. we have been to thailand alot of times but never had a chance to visit this store. Maybe because its abit hard to find or out of place.

Last april, we finally manage to visit this gigantic warehouse full of vintage stuff.

We were looking for a chesterfield sofa/tv console/dining chairs but didnt really see anything worth buying.

I have always had a fantasy of placing a barber chair in the living room as a conversation piece. Most barber chair here are takara, belmont are harder to find. Saw 1 in this store and simply couldn't resist it.

Ended up buying a barber chair and a gec stand fan..

IMG_20140328_125740.jpgIMG_20140328_140318.jpg

IMG_20140328_123507.jpg

IMG_20140328_124111.jpg

Edited by Yolo

Rod fai night market

Next stop, the famous night market near seacon square. A first timer here, amazed buy the vintage stuff they have here. Better than the ones at papaya store.. saw this nice sofa set but didnt pull the trigger as we already spent alot on other stuff.. also found a cool edison lamp store.. (just like our like lights or 2by2 store)

IMG_20140329_222902.jpg

IMG_20140329_212847.jpg

IMG_20140329_213118.jpg

Edited by Yolo

Did you manage to get anything from thailand? I'm wondering about the shipping part.. Looks like you can find alot of hidden treasures there!

We bought the red barber chair and the red GEC fan in the photo above, i think we paid around $1k for shipping, alot of fees for sea freight.. i guess its more worth it if you ship back more items in 1 lot.. he did mentioned its possible to get the whole container for your ownself for a flat rate.

Couldn't really remember but the 1st photo is around 950-1000baht, i thought of returning to purchase all lighting here but in the end we bought most of our lighting locally from 2by2 store and like lights.

Did you manage to get anything from thailand? I'm wondering about the shipping part.. Looks like you can find alot of hidden treasures there!

We bought the red barber chair and the red GEC fan in the photo above, i think we paid around $1k for shipping, alot of fees for sea freight.. i guess its more worth it if you ship back more items in 1 lot.. he did mentioned its possible to get the whole container for your ownself for a flat rate.

Like e last pic of yellow pendant light. How much is it

Couldn't really remember but i guess its around $50? The same lamp in sg we saw is $160..

The 2nd photo is around 950-1000baht.

We thought of returning to purchase all lighting and edison bulbs here but in the end we bought most of our lighting locally from 2by2 store and like lights.

Edited by Yolo

Smeg fridge from unilite at jalan kayu. Price kept going up for this brand, saw it last time for $1600.. but now is nearly 2k..

Wanted to get the red color at first but we were mesmerized by the yellow..

Tinge_product_fab28_smeg_yellow.jpg

Dining table from Picket&Rail chicago series. Was walking in city sqaure mall and saw they were having sale. Bought this for $1399

imagejpg1_zps934e6962-1.jpg

Another item on sale was the bed frame. Love the design and the storage compartment at the front. King size was going for $2299 and a free $799 bedside table.

Chicago_Bed_and_1_Drawer_Bedside_Tables_

Ceiling fan. Always wanted a haiku but prices are crazy this days, almost double since it was first launch.. other popular contender are the amasco triniti, spin fan, Aeratron E503..

Almost went to JB tampoi to get the trinity for 1180Rm but chanced upon phylux sale for the DC motor fan. Designed like the spin fan but cheaper. Blade is 52inch.. for $399, it was a happy purchase..

IMG_5823044291986.jpeg

Sofa. It has gotta be a chesterfield. Went to locus habitat in sin ming but prices were out of our budget. Saw this in carousell for a full cowhide leather chesterfield from eastern europe. We just had to buy it.

IMG_61137848724599.jpeg

Bought all our electrical items from harvey norman millenia walk over the weekend.

1) Sony 50" 3D internet tv

We were set on getting a samsung tv, till we saw sony was having CNY promo. $1399 with 3D glasses/flick remote thrown in..

2) Samsung 7kg front loader washer

Our options were panasonic/Samsung/electrolux.. panasonic was the cheapest at $499 but my wife doesnt like the design and the knobs.

Electrolux has no digital display.

so we are left with samsung.

We love it's sleek and clean design.

Furthermore it has function like digital inverter, eco bubble, diamond drum.

3) yamaha soundbar

Initially we plan on getting a sony soundbar to pair up with the sony tv. It was on display and sounded loud. Design is also sleek and clean but the salesman brought us to test the yamaha soundbar to compare.

Indeed it sounded better than sony.. it cost the same so we decided to go with the yamaha.

4) Tefal iron

5) Rowenta Vacumn

6) Rowenta garment steamer

7) Samsung microwave

8) Electrolux toaster

9) Hp Envy 15" notebook

Also at milennia walk, we visited commune.

Saw a nice looking bench to pair up with our dining table from Picket&Rail. Also saw a nice tv console from the same series.

20150131_143821.jpg

20150131_143812.jpg

Edited by Yolo

Nice chesterfield sofa you have there! I'm also getting the same tufted sofa but in fabric. Have you checked out Taylor B. They have really2 good furnitures- especially chesterfields

Nice chesterfield sofa you have there! I'm also getting the same tufted sofa but in fabric. Have you checked out Taylor B. They have really2 good furnitures- especially chesterfields

Nope, didnt knew of this place.. how's the prices like? Anyway, we have completed most of our of purchases.. just looking for a kitchen shelf/rack..