Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
si_pitung

The Utilitarian Reno.

dun forget... rules of the kitchen:

1). the stove dun direct facing a basin or fridge or washing machine...

2). the stove dun side by side with a basin or fridge... at least give a gap 30 cm long (like cabinet)...

3). dun put the stove under window...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
dun forget... rules of the kitchen:

1). the stove dun direct facing a basin or fridge or washing machine...

2). the stove dun side by side with a basin or fridge... at least give a gap 30 cm long (like cabinet)...

3). dun put the stove under window...

oh, read in a fengshui book, it is possible to put a chopping board, or green plant to seperate the 4 elements (stove, sink, fridge & water), and 'break the curse' :(

That's interesting. How's your day today? Still hacking?

hi hi, finally in the right 'home':good: ...even tho si_pitung dun mind. hehe

my side, hacking over. debris cleared. starting plastering and tiling liao...

about your earlier questions in si_pitung's 'house', i m boxing up the sewer/drainage pipes in the toilets, then tiling over. not leaving any access panels at all. its a 6years old flat. unlikely to have chokage problem anytime soon.

other pipes NOT in prominent locations, just gonna leave them alone.

about your kitchen cabinet, sounds like you are sure u'll like to use those ladder-systems/drawers. in this case, maybe u shd consider buying the systems first, then plan the ACTUAL dimensions on your carpentary drawings. this may avoid abortive work in future shd the systems u buy not be able to fit, and rubbish like that... :(

btw, i kapo-kapo huh.

saw on your drawings the space allowed for fridge is only 745mm.

hmm, is tis really enuff? u need to also give allowance for opening the fridge door.

alternatively, u may consider building the low wall (seperating fridge & washing machine) to stop short before the fridge door opening, so that you can open your fridge door WIIIIIIDE :bangwall:

Edited by rummi

Here's a picture of my big, big sink.

th_44069_IMG_3111_122_112lo.JPG

No problems washing the wok and the stock pot there!:good::D

hey, i bought a TEKA's kitchen sink JUST LIKE TIS MODEL TOO :yeah:

my fren was teasing me that it looked like a bathtub. next time got baby can easily shower in the kitchen sink.

:(:bangwall:

hi hi, finally in the right 'home':notti: ...even tho si_pitung dun mind. hehe

my side, hacking over. debris cleared. starting plastering and tiling liao...

about your earlier questions in si_pitung's 'house', i m boxing up the sewer/drainage pipes in the toilets, then tiling over. not leaving any access panels at all. its a 6years old flat. unlikely to have chokage problem anytime soon.

other pipes NOT in prominent locations, just gonna leave them alone.

about your kitchen cabinet, sounds like you are sure u'll like to use those ladder-systems/drawers. in this case, maybe u shd consider buying the systems first, then plan the ACTUAL dimensions on your carpentary drawings. this may avoid abortive work in future shd the systems u buy not be able to fit, and rubbish like that... :bangwall:

btw, i kapo-kapo huh.

saw on your drawings the space allowed for fridge is only 745mm.

hmm, is tis really enuff? u need to also give allowance for opening the fridge door.

alternatively, u may consider building the low wall (seperating fridge & washing machine) to stop short before the fridge door opening, so that you can open your fridge door WIIIIIIDE :good:

Welcome, rummi...I'm so glad to find someone to discuss design with :help:. Mine's a 21 year old flat...haiz, better not play play so leaving the sewage pipes alone...so ugly...wish I have the extra budget to do carpentry.

No, we're not going to buy the systems 'cos the carpenter will be making the drawers for us. Saw them at andrew's place. You can check out his t-blog here, but no pictures of the drawers. Really nice...was very impressed. When my place's completed, I'll post the after pictures with close ups of the drawers and the before pictures of my very messy shelves at my current place (not the new place). The contractor's very careful, will be sending all my purchases to his office so that the measurements will correct and everything fits. The carpentry will be done at his factory. According to a book I read, this is good 'cos wood is easily warped and laminating and sealing the wood at the factory reduces the risk of warping. It's very reassuring when what the contractor does is what you have read in a book...and an angmo book some more. Means must be international standard. :) Heheh, haven't started reno, already so hau lian...hope the contractor won't let me down. :good:

But, you have a very GOOD point about the allowance for opening fridge door. :notti: Thanks!! My allowance is only for ventilation. Gotta to go back to the drawing board now 'cos giving the contractor the configuration tomorrow.

Aiyoh...major design flaw!:):( Checked my fridge. To fully open, I need 350mm!!! :jawdrop: For normal usage, the limitation is not so bad, but if I want to remove the shelves for cleaning the doors have to be opened fully.

Aiyoh, how? :good: Thank you for your insight, Rummi. Wished you were here earlier. :( But, at least I can change it before it's already built!!! :bow:

Can't seem to change the layout; think a very low wall is just so odd, so four choices left:

1. shift the half-height wall as close to the chute as possible since allowance must be given to the washing machine;

2. don't build half-height wall anymore, just put the washer there. That'll give me 100mm more and put the washing machine as close to the chute as possible.

3. put in a thinner material, e.g. glass and put the washing machine as close to the chute as possible

4. when cleaning, empty the fridge and move it out 'cos the fridge has wheels.

Aiyoh! :P

Not a problem..hubby says. Just move the fridge out when cleaning. He still likes the half-height wall idea. No go for glass or acrylic partition. Sigh :good: ...don't panic..it's okay...

Will be going to take measurements tomorrow...so let's see how it goes.

After a good night's sleep...feel a lot better.

So, from my experience :good:, anyone designing kitchen carpentry need to make allowance for appliance ventilation and door allowance. Appliance ventilation requirements differ for different brands and appliance, and can be easily found in the appliance's instruction manual. They are very important 'cos insufficient ventilation can cause the appliance to heat up and spoil. As you probably have noted, insufficient door allowance means that if you want to put in/ take out large items, you'll have to move the appliance. Well, hope this helps someone.

Not a problem..hubby says. Just move the fridge out when cleaning. He still likes the half-height wall idea. No go for glass or acrylic partition. Sigh :) ...don't panic..it's okay...

Will be going to take measurements tomorrow...so let's see how it goes.

aiyah, im too late for this :P

was about to suggest (IF IF IF only i'd seen this last night) that you can still consider doing half-wall, just shorten the length of the half wall to for example, 0.60m, that is the depth of the fridge before the door.

then you can open your frige door full-swiiiiiing, and yet still have low wall between fridge & washing machine la :good:

After a good night's sleep...feel a lot better.

So, from my experience !!, anyone designing kitchen carpentry need to make allowance for appliance ventilation and door allowance. Appliance ventilation requirements differ for different brands and appliance, and can be easily found in the appliance's instruction manual. They are very important 'cos insufficient ventilation can cause the appliance to heat up and spoil. As you probably have noted, insufficient door allowance means that if you want to put in/ take out large items, you'll have to move the appliance. Well, hope this helps someone.

since homeowner is so kind to offer this reminder, think i'll throw in my 'Method Of Cheating' too. hehe

for appliances requiring heat ventilation, i use (1) ventilation board for the back panel (its a brown board with pencil-size ventilation holes all over, then u can paint it to match); or (2) at the top/side back panel of the cabinet to design for a long opening to the less obvious side of the cabinet.

this method, however, requires long-term commitment to the location of these appliances. hmm...

the half-height wall is just enough to cover the washing machine, so if we shorten it, part of the washing machine can still be seen...will think about it. yesterday night, hubby and I checked the ventilation requirements and realised that our fridge need 10 cm at the back, with the fridge jutting out significantly, the difference between the front door of the fridge and the end of half-height wall is only about 20 cm. and, he's fine with that.

the half-height wall is just enough to cover the washing machine, so if we shorten it, part of the washing machine can still be seen...will think about it. yesterday night, hubby and I checked the ventilation requirements and realised that our fridge need 10 cm at the back, with the fridge jutting out significantly, the difference between the front door of the fridge and the end of half-height wall is only about 20 cm. and, he's fine with that.

as long as the couple arrives at a MuTual Decision :)

:good::P