Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
si_pitung

The Utilitarian Reno.

I think it's not so much a mutual decision; more like a kindly husband trying to comfort and calm down a distressed wife :lol: who thinks that the sky is falling!!

Wow, rummi, your ventilation tips are quite pro. 8| Hey, do post pictures of your reno. I'm very interested to see your results. Read from another thread that you'll be saving $20k by DIY. 8| Wow.

Chose the carpentry laminate and tiles today. Phew! Am really tired. Stuck to birch for the the laminate, rich brown for the kitchen tiles (heheh, contractor's suggestion and we found this really, really nice woody looking one) and white for the kitchen wall. Couldn't find the right shade of cream for the wall. Didn't really want glossy kitchen tiles 'cos I thought they were too reflective. So old-fashioned.

Cream marble tumbled tiles for the master bathroom and a darker shade for the floor. My bathroom is going to have a calming cocoon effect.

The children's bathroom was difficult even though hubby and I liked the same line of cheerful coloured fishes. Hubby preferred the showroom's combination of glossy white and blue while I preferred matt white and orange...brought back the sample tiles and guess what? I was outvoted 3 to 1!:dunno: Hahah.

The last toilet hubby wanted something more masculine?! Eventually we agreed on white and chocolate brown tiles with wavy patterns on them and matching chocolate brown tiles. Hahah...so despite my initial misgivings about dark tiles, we still end up getting those dark, dark tiles...guess we're not at the extreme end of the generation gap yet. :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I think it's not so much a mutual decision; more like a kindly husband trying to comfort and calm down a distressed wife :) who thinks that the sky is falling!!

Wow, rummi, your ventilation tips are quite pro. :) Hey, do post pictures of your reno. I'm very interested to see your results. Read from another thread that you'll be saving $20k by DIY. :) Wow.

Chose the carpentry laminate and tiles today. Phew! Am really tired. Stuck to birch for the the laminate, rich brown for the kitchen tiles (heheh, contractor's suggestion and we found this really, really nice woody looking one) and white for the kitchen wall. Couldn't find the right shade of cream for the wall. Didn't really want glossy kitchen tiles 'cos I thought they were too reflective. So old-fashioned.

Cream marble tumbled tiles for the master bathroom and a darker shade for the floor. My bathroom is going to have a calming cocoon effect.

The children's bathroom was difficult even though hubby and I liked the same line of cheerful coloured fishes. Hubby preferred the showroom's combination of glossy white and blue while I preferred matt white and orange...brought back the sample tiles and guess what? I was outvoted 3 to 1!!! Hahah.

The last toilet hubby wanted something more masculine?! Eventually we agreed on white and chocolate brown tiles with wavy patterns on them and matching chocolate brown tiles. Hahah...so despite my initial misgivings about dark tiles, we still end up getting those dark, dark tiles...guess we're not at the extreme end of the generation gap yet. :)

u know wat, both u & me fell into the trap - The Emotional Over Attachment To The Project!!

looking forward to your pics on the lovely toilets.

the whiet & brown tiles need not be as dark as u imagined it to be la, its just a matter of ration of white to brown! the concoction can be dark chocolate, or cuppucino -all depending on your tiling design :dancingqueen::dancingqueen:

Hey, do post pictures of your reno.

sighhhh, tis may nvr happen:P hubby objected strongly to my setting up the reno-blog.

the last Our-Wedding-Blog that i'd set up knocked him out cold. :dunno:

Heheh!! !! High five!! Women are just so emotional!! And, hubby objected to mine too!! :dunno: So, not setting up a proper blog, just a T-blog to post pictures and chat as I go along....owe it to renotalk mbrs from whom I received a lot of help, esp. those at the Masionnette Owner thread. So, GMC and HDB sigh, if you are reading this, this blog partly for you! Yes, will post LOTS of pictures, including the flamingo sanctuary that I promised HDB sigh!

Hey, rummi, why don't you post your pictures in my T-blog? Then, this blog will be more interesting and informative to forumers doing DIY or working with contractors. Most blogs have IDs :dancingqueen:.

At the contractor's office yesterday, I was a little shocked to find out that my flushed handleless design require veneer trimming. Confirmed contractor's rationale with the info. from thread below.

renotalk thread on ABS vs veneering trimming

Even though my contractor did mention about the sharp edges of the veneer trimming and how they take care to grind the edges so that they won't cut, I've decided to go for ABS trimming and handles instead :dancingqueen: 'cos I'm not someone who's very careful about the kitchen...more of a slap and bang cook...so laminate trimming might not be so suitable. Need something really, really durable. The disadvantage of ABS trimming, according to the contractor, is that ABS trimming fades over time whereas veneer will not. Sigh...practicality rules over design!

Edited by Homeowner

Heheh!! :dunno: High five!! Women are just so emotional!! And, hubby objected to mine too!! :) So, not setting up a proper blog, just a T-blog to post pictures and chat as I go along....owe it to renotalk mbrs from whom I received a lot of help, esp. those at the Masionnette Owner thread. So, GMC and HDB sigh, if you are reading this, this blog partly for you! Yes, will post LOTS of pictures, including the flamingo sanctuary that I promised HDB sigh!

Hey, rummi, why don't you post your pictures in my T-blog? Then, this blog will be more interesting and informative to forumers doing DIY or working with contractors. Most blogs have IDs :dancingqueen:.

At the contractor's office yesterday, I was a little shocked to find out that my flushed handleless design require veneer trimming. Confirmed contractor's rationale with the info. from thread below.

Even though my contractor did mention about the sharp edges of the veneer trimming and how they take care to grind the edges so that they won't cut, I've decided to go for ABS trimming and handles instead !! 'cos I'm not someone who's very careful about the kitchen...more of a slap and bang cook...so laminate trimming might not be so suitable. Need something really, really durable. The disadvantage of ABS trimming, according to the contractor, is that ABS trimming fades over time whereas veneer will not. Sigh...practicality rules over design!

wow, u r SOOO EARLY :dancingqueen:

btw, wats 'Flamingo Santaury' ??? sounds interesting. huh huh huh?

most blogs most renovators have IDs. both u r me r quite pathetic to brave it out ourself, the cost-saving can go into plushing-up th ekitchen appliances/ futnitures/ electrical appliances la:)

thanks for the invitations to post on your blog. in fact, i 'owe' u some drawings & amidst uploading them to PM u.... wait... weeekend is no ending activities for me/hubby... ...

about ABS vs veneer, let's say veneer is passe (hehe). and abs is more expensive, s if your contractor is giving ABS at the same price, u got a good deal. btw, abs comes in matching woodgrains too (not all)! yeah yeah

personaly, for kitchen, i prefer abs with long bar-handles, (1) can hang kitchen towels) (2) when busy cooking, can grab doors easily with any tiny fingers without breaking nails in tiny grooves-handles built-into flushed-doors;)

extracted this from GnM's reply to the thread above.

'' depending on the design, veneer trimmings give a sharp clean look, whilst ABS will not be able to achieve that flush look that some designers are looking for ''

nowadays, ABS trimming comes in 1mmthk bands =slim enuff to look flat!

one laminate supplier with this product is Lam Chuan.

Heheh, my "new" balcony has the very traditional a-few-tiles-make-up-one-big-picture tiles. The big picture has a few flamingos at a pool. Thought it was very passe and wanted to hack it off...but then, since the tiles were in relatively good condition and since I have budget constraints, we decided to save it, the flamingo sanctuary. :) There's a set of marble table and chairs at the balcony too. Very chinese and homely, like your grandmother's place sort of thing. I'll post pictures of the "new" place soon when the sellers move out. Think it's not so nice to post the pictures now in case their relatives or someone they know see my T-blog.

We'll probably get only 2 long ones at the sink and short ones for the rest. We tried but failed to find an ABS trimming with similar woodgrain to our choice of laminate...so in the end, we chose a light solid cream ABS trimming. 2mm :sport-smiley-004:

Most kitchen design books in the National Library are American, featuring traditional and country homogenous, fitted carpentry and tiled backsplashes. Not exactly most forumers' cup of tea.

But, here's a book that features sleek, modern European designs with glass backsplash, etc. "The Kitchen" by Rita Mielke. Call number: 747.797 MIE-[HOM]. Hard cover. Big, inch-thick book.

It has interesting bits on kitchen history and really beautiful pictures of modern kitchens (53 pages) and designer kitchens (105 pages). Enjoy!

oh really? my stove is either facing the fridge and washing machine or smacked right next to the toilet. So we chose to face the fridge/wm. How to break the curse?? can advise?

ops, hehe, dun remember reading anything about this scenario :dunno:

oh really? my stove is either facing the fridge and washing machine or smacked right next to the toilet. So we chose to face the fridge/wm. How to break the curse?? can advise?

stove cant facing or side by side with fridge/washing machine.... like fire facing water lehh..

fridge cant facing toilet door... if no choice... make sure toilet door always close after use, and the toilet bowl top always close oso...

hard solution:

do renov again...

simple solution:

in the middle u put divider like chopping or dinning table... or big plant... or small cabinet...

if cant... u turn the fridge (like 90 degree) until the door fridge not facing the stove lehh...

Edited by si_pitung

Wah, Si pitung, you have problems sleeping at night like me. :bangwall:

How's your reno. rummi? My carpentry design has undergone changes again :bangwall:. Tried to simplify the design so that I don't have too many mini 400mm cabinets. If you are comfortable communicating by e-mail, I can PM my e-mail address to you...quite difficult to PM pictures right?

How about a little divider, Diva79? Mine's a half-height wall to cover the washing machine completely. Should be okay, right, Si Pitung and rummi? But since your reno is finished, a custom made one eg. black wooden divider (heheh, remember your colour scheme is red and black) might be possible?

Wah, Si pitung, you have problems sleeping at night like me. :P

How about a little divider, Diva79? Mine's a half-height wall to cover the washing machine completely. Should be okay, right, Si Pitung and rummi?

not sleeping problem but iam still at opis lehhh.. workkk.. workkk.. n workkk... !!

right, half cover should be okay... as long have "sumting" in between...

Wah, Si pitung, you have problems sleeping at night like me. zz

How's your reno. rummi? My carpentry design has undergone changes again :P. Tried to simplify the design so that I don't have too many mini 400mm cabinets. If you are comfortable communicating by e-mail, I can PM my e-mail address to you...quite difficult to PM pictures right?

How about a little divider, Diva79? Mine's a half-height wall to cover the washing machine completely. Should be okay, right, Si Pitung and rummi? But since your reno is finished, a custom made one eg. black wooden divider (heheh, remember your colour scheme is red and black) might be possible?

about Diva79's ''dilemna'', me no fengshui-expert, but tink tink maybe just put a set of table-&-chair between them will be the easiest solution. so wat have u decided to do, Diva79?

si_pitung need to work! new house new furnitures new appliances etc etc need to pay;) will be my turn soon !! :P

as to rummi, U Guessed Just Right -i m wonderg how to send attachment on PM. hehehe. u PM me your email address la;) then we can keep in touch in privacy la;)

about your kitchen cabinets, mini cabinets can be a hassle indeed. but mini drawers can be useful. u can re-consider;)

not sleeping problem but iam still at opis lehhh.. workkk.. workkk.. n workkk... :thumbs up:

;) so poor thing...night duty or overtime?

right, half cover should be okay... as long have "sumting" in between...

Thanks for the tip. :jawdrop:

as to rummi, U Guessed Just Right -i m wonderg how to send attachment on PM. hehehe. u PM me your email address la;) then we can keep in touch in privacy la;)

about your kitchen cabinets, mini cabinets can be a hassle indeed. but mini drawers can be useful. u can re-consider;)

rummi, PMed you my e-mail. Yah, I don't mind mini drawers either...only problem is the matching mini top cabinet...looks very odd. :~

;) so poor thing...night duty or overtime?

night duty lehh.. tomolo iam opp...

but tomolo became part time assembler.. need to assembly wardrobe, drawer, bed frame, etc... :thumbs up:

:) so poor thing...night duty or overtime?

Thanks for the tip. :D

rummi, PMed you my e-mail. Yah, I don't mind mini drawers either...only problem is the matching mini top cabinet...looks very odd. :D

gmailed u!! waiting for your carpoentary emails..

ganbatte :good: