1) Coffee Table & Sofa

Modern Living Furnishing Pte. Ltd.

Park Mall #03-04

9 Penang Rd Singapore 238459

+(65) 6338 8763.

Sales person: Susan (96452599)

IMG_8887_zpsae305823.jpg

IMG_0122_zpsa2sbyfmm.jpg

Settled our sofa and dining table at Modern Living, a huge store that we bumped into at Expo. The first sofa shop that we were browsing and confirmed on the spot without researching much.

The L-fabric sofa was love at first sight. The husband loved it as his long legs could rest on the entire sofa. Also, we had the flexibility to customize its exact length, height and colour.

With our huge living room area, we picked 3.2 metres. The colour was left pending till our detailed drawings from our ID were released. We eventually chose their stock picture - dark grey. Cost us $1,600 which we thought was reasonable for its size.

As for the coffee table, it was a wooden Scandinavian table with glass top that came with three chairs and one long bench. To be honest, the purchase was out of impulse which we realised (too late) that it does not fit into our house at all. As we had already placed our deposit, we tried to back out the purchase but unfortunately, the vendor was unwilling to do so. Thus, we had no choice but to proceed with the customizing and picked light maple wood. It was at a steal of $1,600 as well for its huge size and quality. Fortunately, it eventually blended into the house with the help of the other matching purchases.

2) Bar Counter chair, Coffee Table & Magazine Stand

Second Charm

Blk 21 Kallang Avenue

#05-165 Mapletree Industrial Building, 339412

We love all the vintage and scandi items on their site and thus, we proceeded to their warehouse to customize all the above items.

The same mint shade were picked for all three items despite the resistance from our ID. We wanted a pastel shade to complement the monochrome and thus, mint seemed like the only unisex and soothing colour out of the rest we have picked (lilac, peach, pastel yellow etc).

The challenging part was to sketch the items we wanted or to show them pictures that we liked from pinterest. Next up, we had to do detailed measuring before conveying the exact dimensions that we wanted for the items:-

1) Bar Counter Chair - Pencil teak legs, mint green chairs with slight backing (76 cm x 42cm)

2) Coffee Table - Mango shape, Pencil teak legs (130 cm x 75 cm x 43cm)

3) Magazine stand - Shaped like a TV box with the middle portion painted mint (45cm x 33m x 60cm)

* Colours and style have to be all consistent.

13558_zpsxigoxalg.jpg

IMG_8389_zps244312bb.jpg

IMG_8397_zps1611b296.jpg

These items turned out to be our favourite furnitures so far.

Pros: Payment is made only when the items are collected (with a nominal deposit collected). Workmanship is excellent as well. Pricing is reasonable too.

Cons: Downtime and long wait (not recommended for home owners who have a strict timeline). We waited 1-2 months for some of the items since they are customized and made from scratch. Service is average and we had to call in when there are no email replies.

Hi, your house is very nice! may I know how much did you paid for theses customized furnitures?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi eyeletskirt,

I like ur design very much esp the wiw. I read ur blog 3 times. Haha... Can share breakdown of quotation pls? My email is tan_ming_hao@hotmail.com Thanks!

mhtan: thanks alot! sorry to be fair to my id i won't be sharing the entire quote as it depends on the direction, scope of works, materials etc. :) do let me know which items you are keen in and i will let you know the amt? thanks!

Hi I saw your track light are squarish type. May I know where u bought it and how much did you buy for the items, e.g. the track and the lights. Are they 7W? Appreciate your reply. Thanks

Hello! Yup it's the large squarish type which we had a hard time tracking it down. 10W i think.!

You can find the lights at this place. Price v reasonable but I can't recall how much we paid. The track was given to us by a relative but the shop stocks it as well! :)

BL Singapore Pte Ltd 1 Jalan Basar #01-07/08 Singapore 209037 Tel: 6296 2196 (Sales person: Yang Zhao Tong)

Hi I saw your track light are squarish type. May I know where u bought it and how much did you buy for the items, e.g. the track and the lights. Are they 7W? Appreciate your reply. Thanks

Hi eyeletsky,

Love the mbr most. Could you share the dimensions for the mbr plus wiw? And the quotation for the wiw wardrobes pls? Many thanks! Email is tan_ming_hao@hotmail.com

Jus wanted to say your house is GORGEOUS. I really enjoyed seeing every picture and I love how the theme flowed throughout, even in the spare bedroom. And the display in the living room? Out of this world!! Really awesome. One of the best homes I've seen in renotalk! :) enjoy!!

Because we are welcoming our first baby into our crib end of the year, we are now starting on our new project - to transform the existing 9 months sports room into a baby room!

Not much time left since my EDD date is early November. Just two months more to go and not forgetting the ghost month is just this month!

I'm actually more excited about the nursery room more than my previous WIW so I'm going to blow the dust off this thread to document the process down! :)

Nursery Room - Before

IMG_0870_zpso0eozh09.jpg

How my current sports room looks like now, painted in a two-toned mint and blue. The colour was initially chosen to complement the other parts of the house while bearing in mind it will be a baby room in future so it should be kept as uni-sex as possible. And now we are having a boy so we are glad it wasn't painted pink!

Ideas / Mood-board

Not much criteria except for the nursery room to be in line with the Scandinavian theme, to blend in with the rest of our crib.

Colour-wise we want it to be soothing for the eyes without any huge contrast - a combination of mint, white, light grey would be good. But I'm aware when the baby toys come flooding in, it will be quite hard to keep to the colour scheme of grey/mint/white. By then I would have so many things on hand to overlook that fact haha!

For now, our main constraint is to fully utilize the tight space (typical bto size) to store as much things as possible. We have conveyed it to our ID (I-Chapter) whom we have previously worked with. My husband is thinking of doing a full-height wardrobe but I have concerns if that would be too "harsh" for a nursery. I've sourced Ikea previously but their offerings are not solutions to my problem. Most of their cupboards are bulky which takes up alot of space and comes with limited storage especially for big items.

Some pictures from Pinterest, Instagram and Etsy for inspiration. Very close to what we have in mind and these rooms are to die for!

IMG_9997.PNG_zpsp08rck8z.jpg

IMG_9910.PNG_zpsequv81yv.jpg

Edited by eyeletskirt

Had a fruitful discussion with I-Chapter a week ago to go through our ideas and finally get started!
IMG_9958%201_zpsedac91gf.jpgIMG_9953_zpsbnjquets.jpg
Current colours in the room - Nippon's Seabreeze & Ocean Blue
Scope of works:-
1) Baby wardrobe - full height with a mixture of checked boxes, shelves, drawers and open-concept wardrobe to hang up the cute clothes

2) Two white shelving to display cutesy items
3) Overlaying of the floor tiles in the nursery room, walk-way and living room with vinyl floorings
4) Extension of the sword cabinet in living room - for obvious reasons

One thing we regretted during the renovation process was to OPT IN for the HDB tiles when we were selecting our BTOs. We did the overlaying for the MBR and WIW, thinking we can live with the other tiles in the walk-way and living room. However, it has been a nightmare to live with it because they are so HARD to maintain even while cleaning it twice a week. The stains are very obvious on the HDB homogeneous tiles and no matter how diligent we scrub the grouting, it's a never-ending cycle. I can't imagine how I'm going to maintain that in future especially with our baby coming on board so we are glad to finally solve this issue.

Our ID has taken the measurements for the room so now, it's just waiting for the ghost month to be over so the works can start!

IMG_9951_zps8gmgoghc.jpg
How cute are some of these baby door knobs!

Aesthetics and functional aspect to be blended in, is it possible? We hope so. Wish us luck!

Ideas are welcome, do drop a comment or email me! :)

bykaraanne: thanks for the kind comments babe! not everyone appreciates the sword display so i'm glad u didn't find it too "fierce" for the living room heh. sorry i just saw this so replied late! :)