Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Nana Chan

Little Woody Home (Scandinavian 4Rm Resale Woodlands)

Hello everyone~

After 3 long years, been through times living with both of ours parents, renting apartment overseas, Hubby and I finally bought our first home in Singapore!

We've decided to go for resale instead of BTO because we do not wanna wait any longer, and we're very particular about location.

Prefer walking distance to the MRT, have good variety of eateries, supermarkets etc..

And we're really happy and lucky that we manage to get one within our budget.. :)

Here I will share my reno journey with you..

FLOORPLAN.jpg

ID HUNTING

Like many homeowners, we went through the tiring ID hunting process as well.. :wacko: Especially when the cost of renovation works for resale flat seems to be higher than BTO, we want to ensure we don't bomb too much money into it. After all what we really want is just a cozy home, not a showroom.

We asked around for friends and relative recommendation, before arranging for them to meet up and discuss the details, then follow by waiting for quotations and layout drawings (some didn't provide eventhough we specifically asked for it).

-------------------------------------------

Initially we loved the 1st ID we met, Mr C. He is highly recommended by one of our good friend.. A honest looking man, not those sales man type. We saw his work in real life at our friend's place and its really good.. He gives us a lot of ideas during the meet up, hand draw really well, provided us with some knowledge.. but once his quotation is out, we were really disappointed because he is too expensive (GST company). So no choice but had to drop him.

--------------------------------------------

Mr I. Very slow respond. Met up with him and he keep picking up calls in between our discussion. Quotation take forever to send us, no drawing. Price wise.. consider reasonable. But very turn off with the slow and bo chup attitude, so immediately out from my list.

-------------------------------------------

Mr Z. He have some difficulty in trying to understand the concept I want for our house during the discussion. No ideas were generated at all during the meet up, he is basically just listening to what we want.

His company is relatively new.. But he seems really passionate about his job, fast respond through whatsapp, and he also promise us he will give us a very good price.

I asked him to give a rough figure on our renovation works, he said 30k.

Turn out his quotation is alot more than the 30k he mentioned, but still is the lowest among the rest. So we continue with the details, but we later on found out that he missed out quite a number of details and then ended up adding a lot of money. He wasn't very apologetic about it too, we were quite sian with the keep-increasing-final-price. But he keep insisting that his price is very reasonable, and keep guilt trip us telling us he had to "bare" some of our cost as his contractor is charging him but he did not charge to us. -.-"

Then there were also some miscommunication later on when we try to suggest some ideas to help save cost, he not only did not help, he also just turn my idea down and tell me that he had NEVER seen others do it like that before. I was quite affected, cos I thought the reasons we hire a ID is so that they can "customize" base on individual client's need? Many times I feel he just brush my questions off without actually answering the question. :( I can feel his eagerness to get our "sales" at that point.. but no.. I know I needed someone who can "solve my problems" and not one who just avoid them.

So even though we went through so much time to "correct" his quotation, clarify details and take measurement already, we decided to hold him and continue searching..and eventually we did not sign him in the end.

----------------------------------------------------

We emailed a few other IDs after that to get quotation (without meeting up yet), and nothing really stands out.. so we went back to Dennis, who we feel is consider one of the best so far for us in terms of communication.. which we feel is the most important criteria in selecting a ID..especially for your 1st renovation.

---------------------------------------------------

Dennis was introduced by my Husband's colleague. We approached him 1 day before CNY by email (at that time we were leaning towards Mr Z and did not really give him a fair chance). He asked us to send him our requirements details through email and say that he will send us his quotation asap. We were expecting to wait until after CNY for his quotation, and also expected to have a lot of missing details in his quotation since he is the only one who did not meet up with us for discussion..even those that meet up with us also miss out certain things on their quotation.. But not only he send us a very comprehensive quotation on the following day, he also send us a layout drawing to ensure his understanding of the requirements tally with ours.

We were impressed by his prompt action and response, and his good understanding of what we want. But we were too blind folded by Mr Z at that time that we rejected his offer at first.. He gracefully wish us good luck on our renovation.

After we decided that Mr Z may not be the best ID for us, we went back to Dennis and ask him out for discussion. Told him we want to give him a fair chance before making the final decision..

We invited him up to the house to take detailed measurements, and requested him to give us a more accurate quotation after that. He provided us with a number of cost-saving ideas (on his own without me asking) on site, telling us what can/cannot be done. He is also frank in telling me what are the additional cost going to be incurred which he cannot quote me yet as it depends on how much work needed to be done (electric works, boxing up of pipes, installation of gas pipe, connection of gas stove which will be reflected in PUB bill).

And he again send his revised quotation to us in the next 2 days or so, and then patiently amended the quotation again and again as per our request because we are very "kiasi" want every details to be written black and white lol.. We went down to his show room to view samples, and eventually after tons of questions, we decided to sign the contract with him..

Both hubby and me feel very comfortable with him, as he always answer our (sometimes stupid) questions professionally. He also help to give suggestion when I cannot decide and then tell me why he suggest this and that (which often are quite convincing and reasonable). There are also times when we have different opinions, but he is also respectful enough to accept my point of view and doesn't make me feel bad about it.

Fingers cross everything will work out well in the end...

Edited by Nana Chan

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Our ID promised to give us our 1st 3D draft 2 weeks after contract confirm (signed on 21 March, 3D out on 4th April) and he really did..

IMG_20150404_1447250.7517344845294487.jp

Just some minor changes needed.. currently waiting for our 2nd 3D draft, once confirm can start hacking soon.. So excited. :D

Edited by Nana Chan

So we spend the last few weeks finalizing the designs. Pick all our tiles, work top and all the design related stuff. Also went around shortlisting all the accessories and stuff needed for our house..

So far our ID have been very responsive and helpful, always reply very promptly.. He also provide us with relatively clear timeline to help us plan on when to buy what accordingly.

2 weeks ago I told my ID, Dennis, that I aim to start work today (20/4/2015), and he immediately say okay with no question asked.

And as per promised, he did all the HDB submission and get all the approval needed for window works in advance so that we can start work TODAY! :good:

Before this, he even went down to do markings on the walls first (to ensure his workers don't hack the wrong walls maybe? XD) He told us he went around knocking our neighbours's door (upstairs/downstairs as well) to inform them about the up-coming renovation works and have them to bear with us during this period..which I feel was a complete pleasant gesture! :thumbs up:

So, pictures time! :dancingqueen: Below are the "LIVE UPDATES" from Dennis this morning:

IMG-20150420-WA0005.jpg

- Kitchen Cabinet Removed

IMG-20150420-WA0013.jpg

- Door Removed "Gently"

IMG-20150420-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20150420-WA0010.jpg

- Removing Skirting

Edited by Nana Chan

IMG-20150420-WA0030.jpg

Complete hacked kitchen half wall~

IMG-20150420-WA0032.jpg

Kitchen

IMG-20150420-WA0029.jpg

IMG-20150420-WA0025.jpg

All the rubbish.. XD

IMG-20150420-WA0031.jpg

Hacking toilet wall tiles

Cannot believe how fast they take to hack everything.. All the above done just this morning. :thumbs up:

c5411ecb-5018-4bd4-b46b-011b8cc05a3a.png

Our funny ID also send us videos updates.. :good: Also told us which unit neighbour like not very happy with the amount of dust cause due to all the reno works and remind me to buy something for him (the unhappy neighbour) after we move in.. :lol: love some of the little thoughtful things he do to make our renovation less stressful.. :)

Will update on the progress again soon.. :D

Edited by Nana Chan

Can provide the cost breakdown?I like your design

Hi,

My total reno cost is 50k-yish (exclude electric works) for a overhaul of my 4room resale with hacking of walls etc.

If yours is BTO, no hacking of walls, no huge modification going on from the current state..then it should be alot cheaper.

I can't give you the exact break down of cost to protect my ID interest..

You can ask for his quotation base on your requirement..then compare with other ID's quotation.. I am quite confident his price is at the competitive side. :)

Will PM you his contact.

Edited by Nana Chan

Updates:

Hacking done~ Super efficient, all hacking done within a day! :good:

20150420_194116.jpg

20150420_194133.jpg

- Kitchen & Common Toilet - Original storeroom is gone~ Nice job on the half wall! :thumbs up:

20150420_193944.jpg

20150420_194007.jpg

-MBR Toilet- Looks very disgusting.. but it will only look better from now on.. :P

20150420_194203.jpg

- Materials Materials Materials~

20150420_194054.jpg

- Lots of Sand~ Skirtings all hacked..

Edited by Nana Chan