Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
arnold

4 Room Bto Simple Home

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi,

Looking forward to see your platform bed. Btw I read somewhere that the platform bed is a pc of furniture therefore the HDB regulation on platform does not apply to this. Did you check with your contractor about this cause I am also planning on platform bed with storage.

Up till now, are you satisfied with your contractor's work? Can share your contractor's contact with me?

I am also considering a platform bed and it seems you got a good contractor to do your renovation. Yah, I am looking forward to see your completed renovation.

Meantime, can give a ballpark figure for the platform bed? Also, I am also keen to get the contact of your contractor. Can you email to me at cancheng35@hotmail.com ? Many thanks!

Snapshot before Furnishings (Master Bedroom)

And now, the long awaited MBR pictures! I apologise for taking so long. Was busy last night and didn't manage to do this. Without further ado, here are the pictures!:

Wardrobe + Dressing Area

I apologise for this crappy picture. Yes the picture is grainy, and the lines don't seem straight. Rest assured that all these were due to the use of the panoramic mode of my phone. My phone simply cannot capture the entire space with its pathetic lens. But I trust that this should give a good overview of the area.

gallery_32602_708_110454.jpg

Next up, the pictures will give you a good idea on how the light effects show up in the area. On the left pic, the area is illuminated by only the ikea light, and on the right, it's illuminated by the track lights. Both options seem to be bright enough for us!

gallery_32602_708_39825.jpg

And now, for the favourite part that we want to boast about! The laminates! This is the open shelving that Boon suggested (detailed here). We were so pleased with the laminates we chose! To help you visualise, the grey laminates with lines are those of the wardrobe door and the drawers of the dressing table, and the rest of the carpentry are laminated with the checked ones. We thought that the two laminates simply complement each other perfectly! I regret to say that the below picture doesn't show this effect fully, and I hope that you can visualise it when you see this in totality.

gallery_32602_708_9135.jpg

Platform Bed

Now this is what many of you have been waiting for.... The platform bed! Like the wardrobe overview picture, the below picture was also captured using the panoramic mode, and thus, have the same jagged lines. rest assured that the lines are perfectly straight. I was very pleased with the platform bed. The size of the storage areas were of decent size. I could easily fit a set of bedsheet with quilt cover, 4 pillow cases and 1 pillow case in each compartment. The grooves were big enough for our fingers to slot in easily, but yet does not cause any potential tripping issues.

gallery_32602_708_68619.jpg

Looks great!!!:good:

Here come my list of questions... :bleah:

1. what is the width of the walkway (between wall and the wardrobe)?
  2. What is the length of the whole wardrobe?
  3. Since your aircon unit is at the center of the room, ie, blowing towards your bed, do you feel stuffy at the walkway? might need to add a standing fan?
  4. I presume the white space at the platform fits exactly a queen size bed, what is the width from the foot of the bed to the wall?
  5. what is the width at both sides of the white to the wardrobe and window?
  6. Can you please take a close up picture of the grooves?
  7. Dust should not get into the storage area when it is closed right? But it will be collected at the gooves area... how?
  8. Do you plan to just place the mattress without any frame?
  9. Does the contractor need to lay your MBR with all the vinyl and add the platform on top of the vinyl? if so, seems redundant?
  10. Oh ya! almost forgot! the height of the platform?

That is all for now... :notti:

Edited by mmoh

Hi, pls see reply below in red.

Looks great!!!:good:

Here come my list of questions... :bleah:

1. what is the width of the walkway (between wall and the wardrobe)?
    The length of the dressing table is 3 ft
  2. What is the length of the whole wardrobe?
    7ft
  3. Since your aircon unit is at the center of the room, ie, blowing towards your bed, do you feel stuffy at the walkway? might need to add a standing fan?
    Yes it will be stuffy. However, it doesn't take too long to change, so a standing fan will not be necessary. I have a power outlet installed on the dressing table, which will be used to power a small fan so that the missus can stay cool while doing her make up.
  4. I presume the white space at the platform fits exactly a queen size bed, what is the width from the foot of the bed to the wall?
    Yes it is a queen size. Did not measure the length. I only gave the requirement that the sunken area is supposed to hold a queen size mattress
  5. what is the width at both sides of the white to the wardrobe and window?
    Didn't measure
  6. Can you please take a close up picture of the grooves?
    Will do so if I remember when I go up
  7. Dust should not get into the storage area when it is closed right? But it will be collected at the gooves area... how?
    Use a cloth and clean? Couldn't possibly use a broom right?
  8. Do you plan to just place the mattress without any frame?
    Yes
  9. Does the contractor need to lay your MBR with all the vinyl and add the platform on top of the vinyl? if so, seems redundant?
    Didn't quite understand this question. Can re-phrase?
  10. Oh ya! almost forgot! the height of the platform?
    Height is 8"

That is all for now... :notti:

hehe, thanks for the speedy answer. :good:

My qn 9 refers to the floor. Beneath the platform, did the contractor lay the vinyl? Since the platform is going to cover about two-third of the whole MBR, it seems redundant to lay the vinyl flooring.

hehe, thanks for the speedy answer. :good:

My qn 9 refers to the floor. Beneath the platform, did the contractor lay the vinyl? Since the platform is going to cover about two-third of the whole MBR, it seems redundant to lay the vinyl flooring.

Ah I think you refer to the parquets?

My place is a premium BTO. During the time when we applied for the flat, all premium BTOs come with the parquet and we cannot opt-out of it. So yes, the parquet is below the platform

Review of Renovation Works

This post is close to a week overdue. The pictures you saw above were taken when we met up with Boon last week for the inspection of works. I have quite a few queries on the workmanship and my level of satisfaction. I decided since there were so many queries, might as well put up a post to share my views with everyone.

Scope of Works

In an earlier post, I put up a list of the scope of work that I engaged Boon to take care of. It seemed that the list that was put up was not a comprehensive one. To keep everyone updated, here is the full scope of works that was undertaken by Boon:

• Carpentry Works
    • 5ft Wall Mounted TV Console
    • 4.5ft Half-Height Shoe Cabinet
    • 11ft Top and Bottom Kitchen Cabinet with KompacPlus Top
    • 5ft Bottom Kitchen Cabinet with KompacPlus Top
    • 3ft Wall Mounted Dressing Table
    • 7ft Full Height Wardrobe with Storage Compartment
    • 10ft x 8.5ft x 8" Platform Bed with Storage Compartment
    • Vanity Top in MBR Toilet with KompacPlus Top
  • Glass Works
    • Sliding Glass Door at the Entrance of Kitchen
    • Shower Screen with 2 Sliding Doors at MBR Toilet
    • 11ft Glass Backsplash between Top and Bottom Kitchen Cabinet
  • Ceiling Works
    • L-Box **** Room
    • Box-Up of Aircon Trunking (only **** Room)
    • Box-Up of Kitchen Sliding Door Tracks
  • Wet Works
    • Fabricate Shower Kerb (MBR Toilet)
    • Fabricate Cabinet Base (Kitchen)
    • Fabricate Fridge Base (Kitchen)
  • Doors and Windows
    • 3 x Solid Veneer Doors with Lock and Magnetic Door Holder (MBR + 2 Common BR)
    • 2 x Slide and Swing Door (2 Toilets)
    • Sliding Windows with Powder Coated Grey Sills (Service Yard)
    • Window Grills (Service Yard, Living Room, MBR and 2 Common BR)
  • Installation Works
    • 8 x LED Downlights (included in renovation costs)
    • 13 x Ceiling Lights
    • 2 x Dressing Table Lights
    • 2 x Ceiling Fans
    • Storage Water Heater
    • All Toilet Accessories
    • Hood and Hob
  • Others
    • Relocating of MBR Basin to Common Toilet
    • Painting of Whole House
Now with the full scope up, it seems like the work is quite substantial.

Review of Renovation Works

Carpentry Works

I was extremely satisfied with the carpentry works. Of course, the carpentry was not perfect. There were some small dents on the inside of the kitchen cabinet. However, I decided to let it go, as the dents were: (1) extremely small; (2) at the deep end of the cabinet. As long as the dents were not in an obvious position, I am fine with it. The results after scrutinising, I found ZERO scratches/dents on the visible parts of the carpentry!

Wah Lao! So Perfect Meh??

Of course not! While there were no scratches and dents, the silicon works weren't as perfect. There were some holes on the silicon works (the part which holds the carpentry to the wall). I expected the gaps between the carpentry and the walls to be fully filled up so that there are no cavities to attract creepy crawlies to nest in. I found a few areas which required filling and highlighted this to Boon. He agreed immediately without any questions. He later explained to me that the silicon, when used to fill the gaps, is in liquid state. Bubbles might form during the use of it in the liquid state. After solidifying, the bubbles will be seen as gaps.

Doors and Windows

The doors required some re-alignment as it does not close properly. Actually, this was told to me even before we started our checks, and it will be rectified. For the windows, I found a couple of scratches on 2 grills. When highlighted to him, he agreed to change it immediately too.

Installation Works

All lights and electrical points were working perfectly. Toilet accessories were also installed at the correct places. No issues with any of the installation works.

Conclusion

Overall, I was extremely pleased with the quality of work and the outcome of the renovation work. In previous pictures, it might seem that the house is a bit empty in comparison with many of the projects here. But I'm pretty much sure that the after the furnitures come in, the house will look much better!

Edited by arnold