Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
arnold

4 Room Bto Simple Home

Hi Arnold, your PC are like mine!May I have Boon's contact if you don't mind? Thank you!

Principal Considerations (PC)

Prior to the start of my renovation, my wife and myself decided to sit down and list down what we thought was important for our home. This will eventually be our guiding direction in all the decisions that we make. The PC that we have are as such:

No Covelight. In our opinion, the covelight in the home is a pretty thing to have. It provides soft lighting to reduce glare, and at the same time, it provides a romantic feeling to the home. It is no wonder why the covelight is one of the most common features in modern homes today. However, we decided NOT to have covelights at home. While the covelights indeed adds ambience to the home, the last thing we want is to sweep off lizards and all kinds of creepy crawlies during cleaning.

covelighting1.jpg

No Brick Walls. Like the covelight, the brick wall is a common features in many homes today, especially scandinavian and industrial inspired homes. It provides a different texture to the home so that the home remains interesting. However, we think that the brick wall is likely to be a cleaning hazard. We imagine ourselves cleaning the brick wall with a damp cloth, and we will probably have some loose thread stuck onto it due to the uneven surface. Being the lazy us, we will prefer to omit things that are difficult to clean. Furthermore, the brickwall might cost us additional money through the buying of cloths to clean it.

IMG_0531.jpg

Ceiling Fans. With the small space in HDBs today, we believe that the ceiling fan is the way to go to free up space for other small knick knacks that you will get for your home. At the same time, we want the fan to be sleek in design. The design of the fan is purely a personal choice and we decided that we will get the Haiku for the living room. Yes, it cost significantly more than the most other fans. After all, it's a designer fan. The sales people will try to sell you the idea that because it comes with a DC motor and therefore, uses much lesser electricity. I don't think this sales tag applies to us. We are working adults who probably spend half a day outside our homes. The fan will probably be in use at most 3 hours a day on weekdays and maybe a bit longer on the weekends. How many years will it be before the electricity savings can help us recover our capital cost? Regardless, we still got the fan, and like I said, it is purely a personal choice.

_925097_orig.jpg

Separation of Changing Area and Sleeping Area. Due to work requirements, there will be times that I work odd hours. Therefore, we decided to have a separation in the changing and sleeping area so that we do not affect each other when we get ready for work. There are many ways to do this, including using the wardrobe as a partition for the room, or to locate the wardrobe in a different room. Access to the room can be created through the knocking of walls. After discussing, we decided that we wanted the rooms to remain intact. The rooms that we require are: (1) children's room for the little ones [i have a 2 year-old daughter and another 1 coming up] and (2) study room cum play area for the children. With this in mind, we decided that we will partition the master bedroom with our wardrobe.

20141028033617_Master%20bedroom%20wardro

No Build-In Furniture for the Children. Children grow up quickly. Too quickly sometimes. As they grow, their requirements for furniture change. These requirements include the need for a bigger wardrobe, the need for a bigger bed and of course, I am sure my daughter would not want a Mickey and Minnie bedroom when she is in her teens. Therefore, we decided that we will buy off the shelf furnitures for the children. This will allow us the flexibility to "upgrade" the furniture in size along the way, as well as to allow the children to have choices in future when they grow a bit older.

Kids-Furniture-B3-.jpg

No Hole in the Ceiling. What does this exactly mean? We have seen many examples of living room aircons housed in a hole within the false ceiling. This happens because of the use of downlights to brighten up the entire living room. To accommodate the aircon in the living room, a hole is cut out within the false ceiling so that the aircon can be fitted. Personally, it is something that I simply dislike. I think it looks weird, plus I trust that cleaning the top of the aircon will be of some inconvenience. Therefore, we decided not to have a false ceiling at the position where the aircon will be.

89aa6715.jpg

Conclusion

Our theme of the renovation will be "We want a home, not a showroom!" I believe that many IDs along the way will introduce you stuff that will enhance the looks and feel of the home. Things like covelights and brickwalls are some of them. With busy working lives plus 2 young children that will sap up most of our time, we will appreciate the ease of cleaning the home more than designs. The decision also came about due to observations of my parent's home. There is a feature wall with lights for aesthetics purpose. For the past 15 years, I remember vaguely that it was switched on only during the first couple of months. After the initial period of excitement, the lights were never switched on again. We didn't think that it was wise to spend money on something that we will use for only a couple of months.

My PC might contradict some of us here. I hope that no one takes offence. All our PC were made based on a very personal choice. It is in no way saying who is right or who is wrong. Ultimately, we all make choices in order to ensure living in our homes is an enjoyable experience.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I enjoyed reading your blog. Very detailed and I can see contractor Boon is really attentive to the needs of the occupiers of the house (ie. position of shower screen).

It's nice you got a good contractor! I especially enjoyed looking at your floor plan drawings complete with legends (suspiciously on Powerpoint). ;)

Edited by HanTu

Hi Arnold, Please share your contractor's contacts:) thank you!

Hi, pls kindly pm me Boon contact. Thanks a lot

Hi Arnold, I enjoyed reading your t-blog. I have similar considerations as you and need to plan the layout for 2 toddlers. Am wondering if you can share Boon's contact with me? I'm also interested to see how much the carpentry work cost for your master bedroom - I really like the idea of a segregated dressing room area and sleeping area. Thank you!

Hi Arnold, your PC are like mine!May I have Boon's contact if you don't mind? Thank you!

Hi, can you share Contractor Boon's contact with me? Thanks!

Hi Arnold, could you please share Contractor Boon's contact? Thanks.

Hey guys, I was away for the past week on a holiday. I had forwarded Boon's contact to you guys in PM.

Your house turn out really well! I just bought the same Fujioh hood and hob as you too.. :D

thanks! I'm sure yours will turn out well too!

I enjoyed reading your blog. Very detailed and I can see contractor Boon is really attentive to the needs of the occupiers of the house (ie. position of shower screen).

It's nice you got a good contractor! I especially enjoyed looking at your floor plan drawings complete with legends (suspiciously on Powerpoint). ;)

Thanks for the encouragement. Agreed that Boon was attentive. And yes, the floor plan drawings were indeed done on PowerPoint! hahha!

I spent my entire internship doing powerpoint that's why its familiar. Haha.

Thanks for the encouragement. Agreed that Boon was attentive. And yes, the floor plan drawings were indeed done on PowerPoint! hahha!

Hello arnold!

I enjoyed reading your t-blog, it's very informative and detailed!

Is it possible if you can share Boon's contact with me please?

Thank you in advance!

I must say it is very detailed T-Blog explaining details and consideration. If you don't mind, do share his contacts. Thanks.