Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
arnold

4 Room Bto Simple Home

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Arnold, thanks for sharing your renovation journey.

May i have Boon's contact, company name and the breakdown of the quotation that boon gave you? 

Thanks alot!!

On 4/13/2015 at 1:49 PM, fjklrc said:

Hi,

I also agree on the 4 Nos and I have one more no, ie. no hood because I only use less than 10 times during my stay for 10 years in my current house.

I am sourcing for ID & contractors currently as i just gotten my keys.

Your contractor seems to be very practical and meticulous, kind to share his contact ?

thanks.

On 4/14/2015 at 1:22 AM, wafdaa said:

Hi arnold! Please do share Boon's contact number. Thank you.

Yes please share Boon's contact !

On 4/13/2015 at 1:49 PM, fjklrc said:

Hi,

I also agree on the 4 Nos and I have one more no, ie. no hood because I only use less than 10 times during my stay for 10 years in my current house.

I am sourcing for ID & contractors currently as i just gotten my keys.

Your contractor seems to be very practical and meticulous, kind to share his contact ?

thanks.

On 4/14/2015 at 1:22 AM, wafdaa said:

Hi arnold! Please do share Boon's contact number. Thank you.

Yes please share Boon's contact !

Very impressed with all the floor plan picture sharing, i wish i can do something like this as well! lol

Thanks for all the details and sharing! could you please share Boon's contact with me? THANKS!

On 4/27/2015 at 11:23 PM, arnold said:

Snapshot Before Furnishings (Living Room)

We are pretty sure that after so many posts of planning and considerations, how will the works by Boon eventually turn out?

To recap, the scope of works for the living area is as such:

• 4.5ft Shoe Cabinet
  • 5ft TV Console
  • L-Box
  • Kitchen Glass Door

Presenting to you: The Living Area!

Overview

gallery_32602_708_37429.jpg

gallery_32602_708_10370.jpg

As you can see, 1 side of the wall comes with a recess area. Honestly, we initially kinda dislike this recess area. Just made everything look weird. We had the intention to box up the entire recess area. After considering that we do not have much design elements within the Living Room, we decided to keep the recess area, and at the same time, paint it dark grey to highlight it. The effect turned out quite good. It seemed that highlighting the irregularity reduces the monotony and the contrasting colours actually made the living area slightly more interesting.

Close Up of TV Console

gallery_32602_708_3213.jpg

When choosing the laminates, we were deciding between a plain white or white with design. We eventually decided to go for a laminate with a subtle design so that it adds some texture to the living area.

Close Up of Shoe Cabinet

gallery_32602_708_35043.jpg

The laminates were of the same design as the TV console. While trying to add texture, we wanted to ensure there were some uniformity to the overall outlook. However, we thought that by just having white carpentry in the house will be extremely boring. We eventually went ahead with this. It said Gun Metal on the catalogue, but somehow it turned out to be pretty dark. But well, we have no complains about it. Considering that we have a grey wall, black might be a better contrast to the wall in comparison to Gun Metal.

We also want to share how much we are in love with the slot at the bottom of the shoe cabinet. The slot was suggested by Boon during the planning stages (as detailed here). I tried slotting in my shoes and it fitted perfectly (yes the shoes fit in fully, but we intentionally left it sticking out a bit so that we can emphasise that its usefulness). In case some of you are wondering why we did not construct a small chair at the side so that we can sit and wear our shoes, it was intentional as well. We couldn't imagine whether the eventual space between the wall and the chair will be too narrow. Boon had assured us that the space will be fine, but being the kiasi type, we decided to omit this and chose to buy a stool instead so that it can be removed if required.

Hi Arnold can check what is the type of flooring tiles you use for your living room ? is it provided by HDB ? 

Also please do PM me Boon contacts.

Many Thanks :) 

Edited by niwde1980

On 3 May 2015 at 9:59 AM, arnold said:
Review of Contractor

While providing reviews of the work, I thought it will be good to review the experience that I have with Boon.

What He Did Well

Personalising Your Home

I liked the fact that he tries to personalise the home to the owner. I will be using the shoe cabinet as an example here. If you guys remember, I spoke about how he asked for our shoe sizes and the type of shoes that we wear. During one of the times I met him during the middle part of the renovation, I asked whether does he customise the shoe cabinets to small feet too. He said that there is a usual industry standard that is followed by most contractors. He uses the standards as a minimum. He tries to avoid going below this standard unless requested by the home owners. When asked why, he explained that you get the best price for carpentry when you follow the industrial norms. Any further customisation usually requires additional costs, as the carpenters will have to cater specially to your required dimension of wood.

Some other areas that I did not mention were: (1) how he asked me to stand at my shower area with my hands stuck at my waist so that he can be sure that we have enough shower space after installing the shower screen; and (2) making sure that there were no tall people staying at my place. Why? You might ask. He explained that sliding screens will have a metal bar across the top of the screens, so it will be necessary to know the tallest person staying so that he can make sure that no one injures their head.

Emphasis on Safety and Hygiene

One of the example was given in the previous para.Some other examples were how he noted the potential danger of the position of the shower screen opening vs the position of the shower mixer, and also the reason why a floating shoe cabinet was not preferred. Honestly, I really appreciate him for providing us with this kind of input. As a new home owner, I am sure that many of us do not have the kind of experience to notice this. One of our family members might have been injured if we did not know about this before.

Response Time

Boon was really quick to respond to any of our queries during the renovation. We read many horror stories about how the IDs or contractors will take days to reply to a msg after signing the deal. We were glad that Boon replied to our msgs within the hour. Truth be said, we were usually slower in responding to his clarifications and requests!

Timeline

All in all, my renovation took about 3 months.

Are you serious? 3 months with this scope of works and you say he did well?

Actually, the cause of the long timeline was none other than myself! During the early stages, Boon already told us what and when he required us to provide him with (lights, fans, sanitary stuff etc). But because we were not in a hurry to move, plus it was the CNY period, we simply relaxed and took our own sweet time! He had to remind me many times about this before we finally got him the stuff that he needed. We took about a month to get him the lights and another 2 to 3 weeks for the rest of the stuff like sanitary ware and hob and hood. Considering this, our renovation could have been completed within 6 weeks if we did not delay the provision of items.

We usually pop up to our place a couple of days after we provide him with the necessary stuff and works were already ongoing. Using the example of lights, he took less than a week to install them after we provided it to him!

What Can Be Improved

Lack of Interior Design Knowledge

While he gives good suggestions on how you can do up your place, the truth is, he is not an interior designer. He doesn't have knowledge on the different themes like Scandinavian or Industrial. You can show him pictures to give him examples, but he might not be able to understand them fully. But well, he is a contractor after all, and this is to be expected right?

Lack of Proper Project Management Tools

Boon managed my project quite well actually. However, all scheduled works were updated via verbal means, at most through whatsapp. There were no fancy project timeline charts like what you see in this picture.

Project-Timeline_The-Couch-Manager.jpg

Coming from a work area where I was extremely used to having project timelines, I found it a bit worrying at first. I wasn't sure whether he really have the capacity to manage the different projects without the project management different tools. Things could get a bit tense sometimes if the understanding from both parties were not aligned. I am glad to say that I did not experience this very often.

Conclusion

So there you have it, a short review on Boon. I will be happy to answer any further queries if there are any. :)

Hi,

can you provide me with boon contact details please. 

Thank you! 

Hi,

we are searching high and low for reliable contractor for our new bto 3 rooms.

your contractor seems to be very practical.

would appreciate if u could share Boon's contact with me.

thanks.

I really do enjoy reading this T-blog. The honest review abt the contractor attracts plenty of potential customer to Contractor Boon. I'm also very much curious abt Boon.

Can anyone PM me Boon's contact & company??

Thanks a lot.