Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
arnold

4 Room Bto Simple Home

Hi Arnold, I saw from some links that platform with storage is not allowed in HDB. Did you get confirmation from HDB on this?

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/HomeRenoGuidelinesBuilding?OpenDocument#FloorFinishes

Subject to the Following Guidelines/ Conditions

Installation of hardwood platform on floor No Recommended room height to be minimum of 2.4 metres.

The void between timber joists beneath platform must not be sealed with cement/other materials.

No storage is allowed in the void within the platform and floor.

The side of the platform must be sealed.

To maintain a minimum 1 metre safety barrier height from top of platform to window sill/parapet.

Edited by mmoh

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Arnold, I saw from some links that platform with storage is not allowed in HDB. Did you get confirmation from HDB on this?

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/HomeRenoGuidelinesBuilding?OpenDocument#FloorFinishes

Subject to the Following Guidelines/ Conditions

Installation of hardwood platform on floor No Recommended room height to be minimum of 2.4 metres.

The void between timber joists beneath platform must not be sealed with cement/other materials.

No storage is allowed in the void within the platform and floor.

The side of the platform must be sealed.

To maintain a minimum 1 metre safety barrier height from top of platform to window sill/parapet.

Thanks for pointing this out. In all honesty, I did not know of this requirement. Seem like the storage area will remain empty then.

If storage area has to leave empty.. defeat the purpose. Might as well just get a bed frame then spending the carpentry cost. BTW, how much did your contractor quote you for the platform and the size?

If storage area has to leave empty.. defeat the purpose. Might as well just get a bed frame then spending the carpentry cost. BTW, how much did your contractor quote you for the platform and the size?

Yes it indeed defeats the purpose. It was a mistake that I made without checking. To follow HDB's ruling, the only way is to leave it empty

Edited by arnold

Hi arnold, ur blog is really detailed and informative. I m looking to do just mbr, toilets, kitchen & living room while leaving 2 other bedroom as it is. Also to include flooring & doors. Would u mind sharing boon's contact & quote pls? My email is leafyyue@hotmail.com. thanks in advance.

Electrical Appliances

In this post, we will talk about some of the big ticket electrical appliances. We decided to forgo talking about some of the smaller ones like iron or vacuum cleaner as we did not spend too much on them.

Hob and Hood

This was one of the first items that we shopped for and bought. We were extremely inclined to Fujioh line of hoods. The main reason that attracted us to it is the technical specifications. Before you think that I am a full-time chef who knows exactly what kind of hob and hood is best suited, I regret to say that is not the case. In all the specifications that we saw, it seemed like only Fujioh showed the specifications for the absorption of oil fumes. Most other brands only showed the airflow rate of the hood.

So what? Considering that most HDB kitchens hoods uses recirculation of air instead of piping out through exhaust, oil fumes absorption rate becomes important. A hood with a high airflow rate with low oil absorption capabilities will only mean that the oil will eventually end up on your floor and cabinets. I found it a bit tricky that the other brands did not put this specification upfront. (feels like buying something without knowing the specs). With this as the main consideration, we decided to get from Fujioh, the SLM900-R (Hood) and the FG3773SCGL

SLM6002.jpgfg_3773_svgl.jpg

Refrigerator and Washing Machine

For the fridge and washing machine, we decided to shop for it at the big electronics store at the shopping centres, and at the same time, talk to different sales people for their opinions.

Washing Machine

We had no idea how to go about choosing this. By talking to different sales people, we figured out that 8kg should be good enough for our lifestyle. We have a small family of only 2 adults and 2 young children, so daily laundry shouldn't be quite light. However, we wanted something that can manage the washing of bedsheets and curtains. Most sales people recommended an 8-8.5kg washing machine to manage this requirement. We figured that 8kg is probably enough, and therefore, we went around looking at the best looking 8kg that doesn't burn a hole in our pocket! We ended up with the Samsung RT35FDACDSL.

WA80F5S7MTA-SP-62-0.jpg

Refrigerator

We didn't do any homework for this! We just went around and see which one we liked and shortlisted accordingly! We eventually ended up with the Samsung RT35FDACDSL.

Samsung-RT38FEAKDSL-Fridge.jpg

Air-conditioner

We tried doing homework for this. But the crunching of numbers and different terms sent us into a massive headache! What with BTU, kW, thickness of gas copper pipes, drainage pipes and insulation! Eventually we decided to take the lazy way out. My sister had the exact same layout as mine! (she stays at the blk just across the playground!) and since they had completed their purchase of aircon, we decided to just buy whatever they bought! We we so lazy that we didn't even know what they put in our trunkings and the model of the aircon! We only knew that it was from Daikin. =X

Audio and Visual

We were lucky that we didn't need to buy any sound system as my sister won one in a lucky draw and she decided to give it to us! It's sitting somewhere in my storeroom now! For television, we decided to go simple: Non-smart Full HD LED. We haven't done any purchase though. We intend to buy it after we finish furnishing our house.

Aiyoh! Why save so hard? An ultra-HD smart TV desn't cost that much mah!

Well, we were very clear of a few things:

• We will not be watching any BluRay or downloading movies of that quality.
  • We will not surf the Internet nor search for contents from the TV (we have our iPads and computers to do that)

Since we were clear on this 2 points, why will we need to spend that couple of hundred more dollars for something that we do not use? The extra few hundred dollars can be used to buy us a few good dinners!

Ending Note

So, how much did we spend on the above items? $5832.10!

Edited by arnold

Hi Arnold,

Thanks for sharing with us your wonderful well plan reno works. You indeed, are very precise, meticulous and details at your planning.

I havel book mark your thread for my reference for my upcoming BTO.

Last but not least, kindly provide your contractor contact. Thanks again. :good:

Edited by michael368

The Silly Layout of the MBR Toilet and its Solutions

HDB really gets on our nerves sometimes! One of the pet peeves that we have is with the layout of the MBR toilet. Let us first take a look at the layout to understand how HDB designed the MBR toilet.

gallery_32602_708_20370.jpg

Problem

So what is exactly wrong with this? After putting in a shower screen, this could be a potential hazardous area! Why so? Let's now take a look at a typical shower screen set up.

gallery_32602_708_26076.jpg

A typical shower screen set up usually consists of 2 pieces of glass: 1 fixed glass (green) and 1 moving glass (orange). The moving glass could be in the form of a sliding door or a casement door. In the example above, I used a sliding door as an example. Take a look at the entry into the shower area. The first thing when you go through the door will be the shower head with its mixers. To an adult, this will not be too big of a problem. However, things get a bit more complicated when you put a child into the equation. Young children usually don't quite see where they are going. When a child goes through the door, there is a high potential that he/she will knock into the mixer situated right in front of the door. For those who prefer casement doors, the position of the shower head and its mixers will mean that it will be even more hazardous during the opening of the door. The day when your muscles decides to show its potential could be the day that you smash your door.

In all honest truth, as a first time home owner, we didn't foresee this. Thanks to Boon and his experience, he pointed this to us and suggested that we should consider putting out entrance to the shower area in the middle. This will eliminate the potential hazard that was described above. We gladly took his suggestion and our shower screen will look like this:

gallery_32602_708_1387.jpg

Another issue that we have will be the location of towel hangers. A typical towel hanger is about 60cm. After putting in the shower screen, the only space available to put the towel hanger will be above the toilet bowl, or at the wall on the opposite side of the shower screen. The shower screen was created to ensure that the toilet remained dry outside of the shower area. With the 2 potential locations of the towel hanger, you will either have a very wet toilet bowl after you shower, or you will have a wet toilet after you walk across the toilet dripping wet to access your towels.

This was a relatively easy to solve problem. We decided to install the towel hanger on the wall opposite the shower screen. At the same time, we installed 2 hooks at the wall between the shower screen and the door. During bath time, we will hang our clothes and towel on the hook. After drying ourselves, the towels will be hanged on the towel hanger for drying and airing.

Snapshot Before Furnishings (Living Room)

We are pretty sure that after so many posts of planning and considerations, how will the works by Boon eventually turn out?

To recap, the scope of works for the living area is as such:

• 4.5ft Shoe Cabinet
  • 5ft TV Console
  • L-Box
  • Kitchen Glass Door

Presenting to you: The Living Area!

Overview

gallery_32602_708_37429.jpg

gallery_32602_708_10370.jpg

As you can see, 1 side of the wall comes with a recess area. Honestly, we initially kinda dislike this recess area. Just made everything look weird. We had the intention to box up the entire recess area. After considering that we do not have much design elements within the Living Room, we decided to keep the recess area, and at the same time, paint it dark grey to highlight it. The effect turned out quite good. It seemed that highlighting the irregularity reduces the monotony and the contrasting colours actually made the living area slightly more interesting.

Close Up of TV Console

gallery_32602_708_3213.jpg

When choosing the laminates, we were deciding between a plain white or white with design. We eventually decided to go for a laminate with a subtle design so that it adds some texture to the living area.

Close Up of Shoe Cabinet

gallery_32602_708_35043.jpg

The laminates were of the same design as the TV console. While trying to add texture, we wanted to ensure there were some uniformity to the overall outlook. However, we thought that by just having white carpentry in the house will be extremely boring. We eventually went ahead with this. It said Gun Metal on the catalogue, but somehow it turned out to be pretty dark. But well, we have no complains about it. Considering that we have a grey wall, black might be a better contrast to the wall in comparison to Gun Metal.

We also want to share how much we are in love with the slot at the bottom of the shoe cabinet. The slot was suggested by Boon during the planning stages (as detailed here). I tried slotting in my shoes and it fitted perfectly (yes the shoes fit in fully, but we intentionally left it sticking out a bit so that we can emphasise that its usefulness). In case some of you are wondering why we did not construct a small chair at the side so that we can sit and wear our shoes, it was intentional as well. We couldn't imagine whether the eventual space between the wall and the chair will be too narrow. Boon had assured us that the space will be fine, but being the kiasi type, we decided to omit this and chose to buy a stool instead so that it can be removed if required.

Edited by arnold

Snapshot Before Furnishings (Kitchen)

To recap, the scope of works fr the kitchen is as such:

• 11ft top and bottom cabinet on long side of kitchen
  • 5ft bottom cabinet on short side of kitchen
  • 11ft + 5ft of KompacPlus table top
  • Glass panel between top and bottom cabinet
  • Cabinet and Fridge Base

Overview

gallery_32602_708_44059.jpg

gallery_32602_708_9605.jpg

Dish Drying Area

gallery_32602_708_73925.jpg

In a previous post, We mentioned that we did not want a cover for our dish drying area. We were wondering whether it was a right decision. After all, it goes against current norms of renovation today, and we couldn't find any pictures online that fully convinces us that this will be a good decision. After the works were done, we were glad to have stuck to this. In our opinion, the laminates of the wooden grain within this area fits in beautifully.

Cover Up for Gas Pipe

This was an initiative by Boon. During the installation of the gas pipes, we didn't realise that the pipes will be exposed. Knowing that we probably didn't want to see the exposed pipes, he took the initiative to cover this up. We thought this was a nice initiative. It seemed like he remembered our preference not to see these pipings during our initial conversations.

gallery_32602_708_80171.jpg

Snapshot Before Furnishing (Master Bedroom Toilet)

While there wasn't much work done at the MBR toilet, we thought it was necessary to show what was done here. We previously put up a post on some possible safety concerns regarding the shower screen. The following pictures show how it eventually looks like.

Overview

gallery_32602_708_59317.jpg

Since the picture is a panaromic one, tt takes a bit of adjusting of vision and imagination to visualise what I am exactly talking about. On the right side of the picture, you will see the position of the shower screen and the shower head. Considering that most people would have placed the entrance to the shower screen on the extreme right side, the first thing that meets you when you enter through will be the shower head and its mixers. Look at the position of the mixer. It probably coincides with the height of children from 3-5 years old. This was what we meant by the potential danger for children.

Shower Screen

gallery_32602_708_114386.jpg

Therefore, we were pretty much pleased with the unconventional location of the entrance to the shower area. Of course, it might be a bit more inconvenient to open 2 doors instead of 1. But hey, for the safety of our children, we think this slight inconvenience is perfectly acceptable!