Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

On 9/20/2021 at 6:26 AM, Cranberries said:

Hello, @Melody2205,

I am into handicraft as well, and I have quite a pile of books too☺️!

What I chose to do is forgo a proper dining table for cabinets for my books and handicraft😅

I did built in cabinets along the livingroom wall opposite the bedroom door. But my built in cabinets did not reach ceiling, I was hoping without reaching the ceiling, the cabinets do not make my living room look smaller. But the disadvantage would be I have to clean the cabinet top every now and then😀

I don't think the built in cabinets made my living room uncomfortably smaller in size, but I do think it really depends on individual opinion. My cabinet has a cavity in the middle dividing it into wall cabinets and base cabinet (very much like kitchen cabinets).

I also installed pull-out top,which I can pull out to use as table, or push it in and hide with drawer front.

Hi @Cranberries

Yes I also have quite some books, mostly assessment books. I'm a full time tutor and am thinking of getting few students to come to my house for lesson so that I can travel lesser. Hence a dining table is necessary so that students can also do their work there. I am thinking to use a projector for teaching as that was what we did at tuition centre. I think it's easier as students can see what are the important things to highlight and write down as some students learn better when they see rather than through listening. Some of them are unable to pay full attention. My planned layout of the living room is somewhat different from my friends' opinion. I am thinking of placing the sofa in between the bomb shelter wall and living room windows. The dining table will be placed at the living room windows so that the students won't be too near to the screen. The bomb shelter wall will be used as the screen for the projector. I saw from taobao that they do not need a projector screen for the projector, they use the wall instead. I don't know if that works. 

My parents' flat had some minor renovation recently. We changed the toilet bowls to seated ones and also hacked and retiled with anti-slip tiles. The workmanship for the tiles were not bad. The gaps between two tiles are very minimal and neat. I may consider to re-engage the ID for renovation for my new house. There might be better ones around, I'll see how it goes, whether they do take projects for two-room flat or not. 

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 9/20/2021 at 8:06 PM, JOYWALKER said:

Yes, that is true, about under utilizing but I was thinking, if I have close friends who stay late and wish to sleepover, at least I have a bed to offer!  :D ( at least one other person, the rest have to sleep on the floor! LOL)

I have my writing desk set in my living room (facing the windows) and that's why I have extra space in my bedroom for a Queen size bed. Guess it depends on how you would like to place your bed ,wardrobe and your desk then work from there on your storage shelvings. Do note carpentry works will put quite a hole in your pocket. 😅

Initially I was thinking of getting a sofa bed so that my friend can come over to my house to stay if we intend to go JB the next day. Now I think chances of going JB is so minimal for the next few years. I saw some sofa beds quite nice actually. 😀

On 9/29/2021 at 9:46 PM, mmoh said:

HH shelter = 1700

I think it is safe to assume 20cm on the bold HH shelter wall. so you left with about 1500. It should fit a 1400 length dining table.

You need to look at your own life style. Some think sofa important so forego dining table. While some think that dining table is important while sofa can be forego. And how frequent you host guests? So up to you to plan.

Oh ya, my dining table is 120 cm x 70 cm. I have storage cabinets in the living room but then my layout is different so cannot compare. Choose what you think is more important and forgo the not so important. Just like I dont have TV console as I dont watch TV.

Hi @mmoh

I don't think I will host guests often as my house is so small. It will be quite cramp if too many people are around. I usually watch dramas on laptop and seldom watch TV, hence I think I can forgo the TV but many tell me the TV is necessary. I prefer the projector to TV though. 😄

Hello🖐️ @Melody2205

For dining table, you may like to consider extendable dining table so that you can extend it to full size for teaching. 

Just to mention, there are transformable cabinet doors that be can transformed into a tabletop providing additional tabletop besides the dining table.

There are also hidden pull-out table that can be extended to achieve a full size dining table. Using special mechanism for the pull-out but the price is eyebrow raising.

Since you give tuition, maybe you can consider chalkboard/whiteboard cabinet laminates for any large cabinet front you may have in the living room. These writing laminates can provide additional board for teaching/brainstorming.

On 10/10/2021 at 3:41 PM, Melody2205 said:

Hi @mmoh

I don't think I will host guests often as my house is so small. It will be quite cramp if too many people are around. I usually watch dramas on laptop and seldom watch TV, hence I think I can forgo the TV but many tell me the TV is necessary. I prefer the projector to TV though. 😄

Look at your own life style and do what you think most fit. You are living there, not your friends. :)

On 9/14/2021 at 10:59 AM, Melody2205 said:

Hi!

How's everyone doing?

My BTO has been delayed from this Q4 to next year Q2. Hopefully it won't be delayed anymore.

Just want to check with all of you on the following:

1) Did anyone of you get a sofa and/or dining table for your living room? If yes, care to share the dimensions of your sofa? I can't make up my mind how big sofa and dining table I want and I am aware that I need to measure the actual place before I buy those stuffs. My cousin is currently doing his renovation. His area is in Canberra. He says that even the 80 cm long dining table can't fit at the bomb shelter wall there with the chairs pushed closely to the table. I was thinking of getting a longer table as my current computer desk at my parents' place is 80 cm and I find it small for a dining table. Attached is my floor plan. Most items at parents' place are bigger in size. Now I need to try get used to smaller sized items for my new house 😅

2) Did anyone of you install storage cabinets in the living room? I see some designs with storage cabinets in the living room. Not sure if that will make the whole living room look smaller? Otherwise, I may need to place all my stuffs in the bomb shelter. Hopefully the space is enough to accommodate all my barang barang 😆

Thank you and stay safe!

Floor Plan.jpg

Hi Melody,

Not sure this is what you've looking for. I've place an L-shape table that serve as work desk and dinning table (could sit 4ppl when necessary). Had also custom built a large book shelf for my books and barang. Had attached my layout and living room photo for your reference.

Layout

Screenshot_20171201-221537.jpg.a898603e8fe8681c24a05be10e018703.jpg

Living room

GlamourConcept_BukitBatokAve6_Livingarea.jpg.1f89b2c1922a1f81db7da075bbeec18a.jpg

Book shelf beside the L-shape table

20180331_094737.jpg.d3fe5cdcbf9e03955872dbd4b00e6366.jpg

• Like 1

About 6.5 years after I started this thread, exactly 6 years 4 days after I had collected my keys to my first house, I am handing out the same set of keys to its new owner. Hope the new owner will take good care of the house. I will definitely miss this unit, which I had spent hours and hours to research and decided how I wanted the unit to be. Time to say good bye. 😢

• Sad 3

16 hours ago, mmoh said:

About 6.5 years after I started this thread, exactly 6 years 4 days after I had collected my keys to my first house, I am handing out the same set of keys to its new owner. Hope the new owner will take good care of the house. I will definitely miss this unit, which I had spent hours and hours to research and decided how I wanted the unit to be. Time to say good bye. 😢

Hi @mmoh

Oh...it was due to this flat unit that you started this thread.

Hope you won't let go this discussion thread 😉

On 10/24/2021 at 1:27 PM, Cranberries said:

Hi @mmoh

Oh...it was due to this flat unit that you started this thread.

Hope you won't let go this discussion thread 😉

hello cranberries. Yes, I was searching around for 2 room bto design and pictures but couldnt found much, back then. hence stated this thread to seek more advice.

I am lucky. Get to know a few 2 roomers whom we still keep close contact and visited each other's unit, before and after reno. lol. not sure why the b4. probably because when I collected keys in Oct 2015, there were very little 2 room bto around and the others are all very keen to view the unit, even if it was pre-reno and bare. and hence set the trend to visit each other's b4 and after reno, to give suggestions and feedback.

Not to worry, this thread will still be around and any questions will be answered by the now big group of 2 roomers, until the day renotalk close shop :x

Hi all, thanks for all the great sharing so now is my turn finally, My place will be ready Q2 2022 and am meeting with ID next few weeks. Can I ask if anyone heard horror stories about the IDs below?  Can;t seem to find anything online. So looking to my reno journey but also kindof worried. Thanks again.

1. Yang's Inspiration Design
  2. D'werks
  3. Starry Homestead
  4. Design 4 Space
  5. DM+
  6. AC Vision
  7. Makers Design Studio

Hi guys! I'm late to this thread. Finally created an account to post here after lurking on and off over the past few years. I haven't had much luck getting a good bto number after several tries so I ended up getting a resale unit earlier this year.

My reno started in early Oct and it's about to be completed. Though along the way there have been quite a few bad planning, mistakes and hiccups. Anyway, I am currently facing abit of a issue and wondered if anyone has any input to share. So, I hacked off the wall seperating the living room and the bedroom and installed sliding glass doors with the tracks running through a partial partition wall built down from the ceiling. Curtains will be installed on the ceiling in front of the sliding doors. 

Now I'm facing abit of a dilemma on where I should mount my spilt unit aircon. I sealed the bedroom entrance to the toilet to build a wardrobe along that wall. The plan was initially supposed to have the aircon mount next to the wardrobe on this wall but turns out there's not enough space, so my aircon ended up moved to the wall above the bed facing the sliding doors with the aircon trunking running through the entire length of my wardrobe. I'm really not very comfortable with this as in the event the aircon leaks and also pipe sweating could damage my carpentry.

I'm looking to see if I can move the aircon to the partition wall facing my bed but because the curtains needed to mount on the ceiling, the aircon unit will be in the way. I was wondering if I could build a curtain pelmet and then mount the aircon unit on this pelmet instead.

I have attached a picture of how my aircon is mounted at the moment and also a picture of what I'm thinking of doing with mounting the aircon on a curtain pelmet in front of the curtains. Anyone has any idea? 

20211129_142134.jpg

Screenshot_20211206-212931_Google.jpg

• Like 2

Curtains will be mounted on the ceiling behind the sliding doors (yellow arrow) and I'm thinking of building a curtain pelmet in front of the curtains after they are mounted to mount the aircon on this pelmet so the aircon can sit on this side of the room instead of routing through my wardrobe and sit on the wall behind the bed. I will leave the trunking that is running through the wardrobe alone but will pull out all the pipes inside it.

20211202_144526.jpg

On 10/23/2021 at 8:58 PM, mmoh said:

wow! so sad to hear that! you're shifting to a new place?

On 12/7/2021 at 12:38 AM, assertives said:

Curtains will be mounted on the ceiling behind the sliding doors (yellow arrow) and I'm thinking of building a curtain pelmet in front of the curtains after they are mounted to mount the aircon on this pelmet so the aircon can sit on this side of the room instead of routing through my wardrobe and sit on the wall behind the bed. I will leave the trunking that is running through the wardrobe alone but will pull out all the pipes inside it.

20211202_144526.jpg

I think this is a better idea. Aircon trunking hiding behind carpentry is a no no for me.

On 12/12/2021 at 1:58 AM, daztan89 said:

wow! so sad to hear that! you're shifting to a new place?

yup, bought a resale, reno~ing :D 

• Like 1

Hihi all!! I finally got a ballot for Tengah!! :)

As I am really new to this, was wondering if anyone can help me with some questions on PPVC on the selection appointment.

My bto will built via PPVC method, meaning it will come with floor and wall finishes, internal doors, window frames, sanitary fittings and a base coat of paint. 

1) Will I be given a few options (e.g. design/colour) to choose from, or are they pre-selected by HDB?

2) If I can have the luxury of options, can anyone share with me? Also, do I need to make my choice at the selection appointment date? I take a looooonnnng time to make a decision so would rather prepare for it.

3) If the finishes are pre-selected, may I please check what are the designs and colours that HDB will provide? 

Thank you soooo much everyone and I foresee myself being an active user pretty soon.. lol.

Edited by Yvonne Tay