Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Sigh, I was hoping to get more 'experience' from you, our quick hand quick leg 2roomer. Not like we got a lot of other references lor. If I didn't remember wrongly, MsBunny's unit shaped very different from the conventional 2-room layout. So I was hoping to get more photos from you, mmoh. :D

is your unit design same as mine? Cos I think mine is also somewhat different in the location of the household shelter. But the rest are still quite similar.

You can come visit my empty unit if you want. Or let me know which part you want to see so I can show you the photos?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Facing that 'small space' problem right now!!! My new sofa swallows up half of my living room. :( My place is looking tinier and tinier...

In other news, my cat and I are moving in this weekend and spending the next 3 days lazing at home! :D

MsBunny. What color is your sofa may i ask? If it's in an off white pastel, neutral shade to your wall color, then i doubt it will be a visual issue. Or is it the physical shape of the sofa that's eating up your space?

is your unit design same as mine? Cos I think mine is also somewhat different in the location of the household shelter. But the rest are still quite similar.

You can come visit my empty unit if you want. Or let me know which part you want to see so I can show you the photos?

Mmoh, your unit actually has an advantage in the living room area as your bomb shelter is placed in the kitchen. That frees up a lot of space thus making your living room rather long.

Mine on the other hand has the standard bomb shelter placed in the living room, which makes the probability of me hacking down that bedroom wall to make it as a single breathable unit much more likely. I've always wanted a long l-shaped sofa and i'm trying to wrap the idea of placing that against the wall if it is an open concept of living and bedroom space into one.

Yes, the good part is big living room but this is at the expense of small kitchen. Luckily, I dont cook much. but still headache on the lack of table top space.

As shared before in previous posts, I intend to customised a day bed at the living room window which is abt 11ft x 3.5ft. This will serves as my sofa if there is guests or my lazing corner if I am at home or the extra bed if there is anyone staying over. I also intend to build book shelves at 1 of the side.

However, now with the actual unit, I realised that the morning sun shines through the living room windows and I get 0 direct sunlight from my kitchen window where the clothes hanger are. Hence the only place I can dry my clothes with direct sun light is at my living room, which is exactly where the day bed is. Also, the TV points & cable port in living room are located at the left wall panel. If I am to do carpentry and put TV / monitor there, it is exposed to direct sunlight. Of course, the blind / curtain should solve this issue.

So, now I am in dilemma whether should I proceed on the day bed... what do you think?

Edited by mmoh

mmoh, can understand your headache. I have so many things to do as well but due to the size it seem rather impossible now. Always thought of having my big wardrobe infront of my queen size bed but all IDs said can lah, but quite hard and really limited space to walk. So I now left with 2 options. A queen size bed with only 1.2m wardrobe side by side or a super single bed with a much bigger wardrobe......

Also, I thought of dismantle the clothes rack on the ceiling and install another type. I still prefer to have the old type.

seriously, dont think abt a queen size bed + big wardrobe both inside your bedroom... -_-

My decision is a supersingle bed + 5ft wardrobe.

And yes, I also considering to remove the clothe rack cos 1) no sun light 2) kitchen already very small w/o cabinets. after cabinet lagi worst so ya, I may remove that. Will probably get a portable with wheel clothes rack and get my sun light at the living room window. So... shd I still get my day bed?? :'(

seriously, dont think abt a queen size bed + big wardrobe both inside your bedroom... -_-

And yes, I also considering to remove the clothe rack cos 1) no sun light 2) kitchen already very small w/o cabinets. after cabinet lagi worst so ya, I may remove that. Will probably get a portable with wheel clothes rack and get my sun light at the living room window. So... shd I still get my day bed?? :'(

Mmoh, i personally think u should stick with that 11ft daybed. Not only will it serve as a cosy chill corner, it can also be a bed where if u have extra guests staying over. Why not incorporate a bay window concept cum daybed? You will have plenty of storage underneath.

As for your laundry issues, have u considered of getting a citygas dryer? Maybe hang it against the wall? I've seen that you have an alcove in the kitchen, not sure about the width though. And yes, for the unsightly rack on the kitchen ceiling, i'd personally take it off as well as it makes the kitchen all too cluttered.

To sum up for the daybed, just go ahead with it. Laundry u can hang it anywhere and even use a dryer. A daybed i take it as an everyday high priority item which u will utilise and as you've mentioned u would have a bookcase beside it.

Edited by Wild Ginger

BTW, have you guys thought of having a murphy bed system like HiddenWallBed? I've enquired before and it hovers around $2.5k for a standard system for a Queen Size. Would free up the space by a huge margin but i'm still a little skeptical on the hydraulics system for it. Will it be able to last along time, for e.g. 10yrs?

Your bed + 5ft wardrobe will be side by side?

I think you should go ahead with your day bed since this is what you wanted. Stick to it!

Mmoh, i personally think u should stick with that 11ft daybed. Not only will it serve as a cosy chill corner, it can also be a bed where if u have extra guests staying over. Why not incorporate a bay window concept cum daybed? You will have plenty of storage underneath.

As for your laundry issues, have u considered of getting a citygas dryer? Maybe hang it against the wall? I've seen that you have an alcove in the kitchen, not sure about the width though. And yes, for the unsightly rack on the kitchen ceiling, i'd personally take it off as well as it makes the kitchen all too cluttered.

To sum up for the daybed, just go ahead with it. Laundry u can hang it anywhere and even use a dryer. A daybed i take it as an everyday high priority item which u will utilise and as you've mentioned u would have a bookcase beside it.

The daybed is alongside the window with storage which is a wide bay window. Becos it is alongside the window, it will block the portable clothes hanger.

No, I am not getting a dryer cos I prefer sun dried clothes.

Maybe I should install a long bar at the top of the window to hang my clothes. lol.

BTW, have you guys thought of having a murphy bed system like HiddenWallBed? I've enquired before and it hovers around $2.5k for a standard system for a Queen Size. Would free up the space by a huge margin but i'm still a little skeptical on the hydraulics system for it. Will it be able to last along time, for e.g. 10yrs?

Think Kyooko is the one looking at it. You can refer to the previous posts. wow! we have 22 pages to read through!

Your bed + 5ft wardrobe will be side by side?

I think you should go ahead with your day bed since this is what you wanted. Stick to it!

yes, side by side.

Edited by mmoh

I've also been longing for my own space for as long as I could remembered. Was quite frustrated when I couldn't even afford a resale 3-room. When gov released the news abt 2room single bto, I wasn't really keen due to it's size and location. After 1+ yr and a little chat with my friend last yr Sep, I've decided I should just go for it and went to checkout next upcoming bto. It was really fortunate that next bto is releasing ard the corner and location is okay. so I've went for it and imagine my excitement when I've gotten a relatively good queue number at first attempt! :D

@wild Ginger

Regarding hidden bed, am not very keen abt it as I'm really lazy and don't like the idea of needing to put away or pull out the bed when I wake up or before going to bed. >.<

That's why I've decided to go for super single bed and intend to hack down the wall to replace it with large wardrobe instead.

Have been surfing the net for small space ID inspirations whenever I have time. Was looking mostly at bathroom designs as i've already have ideas abt my future home except bathroom. Am having headache whenever I think abt my toilet bowl position. >.<

I've also been longing for my own space for as long as I could remembered. Was quite frustrated when I couldn't even afford a resale 3-room. When gov released the news abt 2room single bto, I wasn't really keen due to it's size and location. After 1+ yr and a little chat with my friend last yr Sep, I've decided I should just go for it and went to checkout next upcoming bto. It was really fortunate that next bto is releasing ard the corner and location is okay. so I've went for it and imagine my excitement when I've gotten a relatively good queue number at first attempt! :D

@wild Ginger

Regarding hidden bed, am not very keen abt it as I'm really lazy and don't like the idea of needing to put away or pull out the bed when I wake up or before going to bed. >.<

That's why I've decided to go for super single bed and intend to hack down the wall to replace it with large wardrobe instead.

Have been surfing the net for small space ID inspirations whenever I have time. Was looking mostly at bathroom designs as i've already have ideas abt my future home except bathroom. Am having headache whenever I think abt my toilet bowl position. >.<

Don't we all have a problem with out toilet bowls? lol!!! I guess i'm the opposite of u, a neat freak and i wouldn't mind closing up the bed when i'm done. For me i prefer an open space especially when i'm doing my paintings or floral arrangements. Lots of space would be good for my mind too :)

So Ankle, have u secured a unit and where is your bto located at?

The daybed is alongside the window with storage which is a wide bay window. Becos it is alongside the window, it will block the portable clothes hanger.

No, I am not getting a dryer cos I prefer sun dried clothes.

Maybe I should install a long bar at the top of the window to hang my clothes. lol.

Think Kyooko is the one looking at it. You can refer to the previous posts. wow! we have 22 pages to read through!

yes, side by side.

Mmoh, i also prefer sun dried clothes but judging from the sun direction, i'm not sure if i will get any. :P Bummer right? And 22 pages with over 20,000 views on this topic goes to show there is interest in the 2room section! Just that we have to keep going at it and inspire people to post more.

Maybe i'll share this first, a view of the entire estate of Bukit Batok West Edge.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-05%20at%2012.15.

I just realised my unit is facing the Child Care Centre (CCC) which is highlighted in beige and be located on the first floor. And plus i didn't take it into account that perhaps people could actually view into my living room straight from the link bridge and the rooftop garden on the second floor where coincidentally the playground, Adult fitness station and the Elderly fitness station are located at! Now i've seen the 3D models and the 3D renderings provided by the HDB and it shows that there will be trees planted in front of my block. So i'm hoping those would be tall, big trees to shield from them prying eyes.

On a good note, i can munch on snacks while they are out there exercising, you know to 'motivate' them more? hahah *evil.....*

Guess can't have it all when your queue no. is more than the allocated units, ey? But i'm still happy, oddly enough cause the other options available back then were all facing right into the carparks. NOT GOOD.

Edited by Wild Ginger

@wild Ginger,

Think my location same as yours. Just that it's different bto projects developing on the same mountain. ;)

Regarding interior design, guess everyone has their own personal preferences. I'm more of functional + minimal cleaning type of designs over beauty. But am open to innovative hidden furniture concepts as well. :)

@wild Ginger,

Think my location same as yours. Just that it's different bto projects developing on the same mountain. ;)

Regarding interior design, guess everyone has their own personal preferences. I'm more of functional + minimal cleaning type of designs over beauty. But am open to innovative hidden furniture concepts as well. :)

Well said! Form + Function :jammin:

PS: This mountain project better be good and stable! I've just seen the Nov2015 BTO for Punggol and it's situated right beside the sea,... how nice... with the view. But so effing far! I can't imagine having to commute up and down to work and if you have friends at the west side, they be like so dreading if coming over.... 8|

Mine is on the 18th flr as I liked to be closer to the sky then ground and my current house is on 3rd flr... kinda sick of living on low level flr already... :P

My block is 41x, guess not that far of from yours.

Eh, based on my current experiences living on 3rd flr, big trees doesn't really sheltered your house from much privacy. Someone sent by some gov unit would cut down the branches of the big trees in front of my window from time to time leaving it looking rather bare.

But maybe it'll be different in your new house. Fingers crossed... :)