Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
5 hours ago, FrancisTay said:

having headache now, in the process of selecting ID for my renovation.

not sure exactly how much is needed for the renovation...

slowly slowly bro. one by one. 

1st of all, you can edit your post to include all into 1 post. this thread is long enough for the new comers liao... lol

selection of ID: For me, price is important, then the chemistry where you can communicate your idea and he can get it is also important. Last but not least, his contractor's quality of work, where you can request your shortlisted ID to bring you to see his on-going project. If you got chance to meet up with any of his existing customer that will be the best, see if you can find out anything of your ID from them.

Budget for reno, you must first know how much you are willing to spend on your new house. Reno is only 1 big part but dont forget you still need to buy furniture and electrical appliances.

Since you already know what you want, talk to a few ID and get them to quote. Compare the quotes and you will know roughly how much is needed for reno. Budget additional 10% to 20%.

btw, what do you want to do with your toilet?

BTW, i am actually doing, TV console with feature wall, study table in living room, kitchen cabinet with quartz top, wardrobe in bedroom, platform bed with storage compartment...

Basically that's all.. any ideas from fellow 2 roomers...?????

Alot of carpentry work.

Platform will cost a few k. You may like to check with Ryan how much is his platform if what you have in mind is similar to his. 

Study table, do you need to customise it? if not, buying will be cheaper.

TV console with feature wall is another that you can do away if you have budget constraint, if not, feel free to do a nice one.

Guess flooring is done by HDB since you did not mention.

Still have electrical appliances, basic furniture that is needed for the whole house....

Furniture and appliances you just need to go shopping, physically or electronically. many shops have online store and you get rough idea of their cost.

Edited by mmoh

• Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 5:17 PM, mmoh said:

slowly slowly bro. one by one. 

1st of all, you can edit your post to include all into 1 post. this thread is long enough for the new comers liao... lol

selection of ID: For me, price is important, then the chemistry where you can communicate your idea and he can get it is also important. Last but not least, his contractor's quality of work, where you can request your shortlisted ID to bring you to see his on-going project. If you got chance to meet up with any of his existing customer that will be the best, see if you can find out anything of your ID from them.

Budget for reno, you must first know how much you are willing to spend on your new house. Reno is only 1 big part but dont forget you still need to buy furniture and electrical appliances.

Since you already know what you want, talk to a few ID and get them to quote. Compare the quotes and you will know roughly how much is needed for reno. Budget additional 10% to 20%.

btw, what do you want to do with your toilet?

Alot of carpentry work.

Platform will cost a few k. You may like to check with Ryan how much is his platform if what you have in mind is similar to his. 

Study table, do you need to customise it? if not, buying will be cheaper.

TV console with feature wall is another that you can do away if you have budget constraint, if not, feel free to do a nice one.

Guess flooring is done by HDB since you did not mention.

Furniture and appliances you just need to go shopping, physically or electronically. many shops have online store and you get rough idea of their cost.

I guess I will have to leave the toilet as it is, no point doing due to the design of the shower point.

As for study table, I will also scrap the idea of customise by ID.

Upcoming free HDB talk on 3 February 2018, at Cheng San Community Club,
Multi-Purpose Hall.

Caring for Your Home - Flat owners who are keen to find out more about home renovation and home maintenance for their HDB flat.

Update from HDB.

Applicant can chose either or developments within the same estate. Selection of unit not based on development but estate. What you selected in application stage is not blinding on what you will get during unit selection.

Ello all,

Had just collected keys last week. :D

Am starting with the renovation soon.

So many hurdles to cross as my desired layout is not the typical hdb layout.  :wacko:

On 14/01/2018 at 10:33 PM, FrancisTay said:

I guess I will have to leave the toilet as it is, no point doing due to the design of the shower point.

As for study table, I will also scrap the idea of customise by ID.

As advice by mm, it's cheaper to buy study table off the rack then customized.

For my case, i have to customize because i couldn't find the table with measurement that i want. And my id quoted me closed to $2k for the table. :wacko:

Just wanted to share some cost saving tips. If your id quote you too expensive for some of the items, you can actually find your own source and some ids does help to do the coordination.

For my case, i get other companies to do flooring and wallpaper.

On 1/22/2018 at 7:09 PM, Phillip said:

Update from HDB.

Applicant can chose either or developments within the same estate. Selection of unit not based on development but estate. What you selected in application stage is not blinding on what you will get during unit selection.

good for you! then you get to choose the other development if you want to.

22 hours ago, Ankle said:

Ello all,

Had just collected keys last week. :D

Am starting with the renovation soon.

So many hurdles to cross as my desired layout is not the typical hdb layout.  :wacko:

hello ankle! long time no see! :D

mind to share your floor plan again? your neighbour @fridgebuzzz was scheduled to collect tomorrow but guess she is going to postpone collection for awhile.

22 hours ago, Ankle said:

As advice by mm, it's cheaper to buy study table off the rack then customized.

For my case, i have to customize because i couldn't find the table with measurement that i want. And my id quoted me closed to $2k for the table. :wacko:

Just wanted to share some cost saving tips. If your id quote you too expensive for some of the items, you can actually find your own source and some ids does help to do the coordination.

For my case, i get other companies to do flooring and wallpaper.

mind to share your reno plan? 

and you will be doing wallpaper! 

On 24/01/2018 at 10:47 AM, mmoh said:

hello ankle! long time no see! :D

mind to share your floor plan again? your neighbour @fridgebuzzz was scheduled to collect tomorrow but guess she is going to postpone collection for awhile.

mind to share your reno plan? 

and you will be doing wallpaper! 

Hi mm,

If she's in no hurry to start reno and move in, think it's fine. Heard that the queue for defects is 50+ as of ytd. It'll take at least 2wks to clear defects. Lucky for me that mine don't have alot of defects and all are minor ones.

Here's my reno plan:

Kitchen:

wall screed, 9ft bottom cabinets wif silestone worktop, 7ft top cabinet (am leaving half of the top wall empty to install open shelves bought from taobao)

Living + Bedrm:

- 5ft wardrobe, 5ft bookshelves/storage, L-shape table, 4ft wall mount display shelf with enclosed tempered glass × 2

- shifting of bedroom entrance 20cm to the left (to make room for relocate switches)

- moving bedroom entrance sliding door from living rm to bedrm

- floor screeding and vinyl

- wall murals (1 bedrm wall + 1 living rm wall)

- replacing bedrm door with barn door with mirror

Bathroom:

- replacing 2 bathrm doors with tempered glass door (1 bi-fold, 1 swing door)

- overlay one side of the wall tiles

- install sliding shower screen

Think that's about all. Total reno cost around 25-30k :D

Edited by Ankle

On 1/26/2018 at 10:54 AM, Ankle said:

Hi mm,

If she's in no hurry to start reno and move in, think it's fine. Heard that the queue for defects is 50+ as of ytd. It'll take at least 2wks to clear defects. Lucky for me that mine don't have alot of defects and all are minor ones.

Here's my reno plan:

Kitchen:

wall screed, 9ft bottom cabinets wif silestone worktop, 7ft top cabinet (am leaving half of the top wall empty to install open shelves bought from taobao)

Living + Bedrm:

- 5ft wardrobe, 5ft bookshelves/storage, L-shape table, 4ft wall mount display shelf with enclosed tempered glass × 2

- shifting of bedroom entrance 20cm to the left (to make room for relocate switches)

- moving bedroom entrance sliding door from living rm to bedrm

- floor screeding and vinyl

- wall murals (1 bedrm wall + 1 living rm wall)

- replacing bedrm door with barn door with mirror

Bathroom:

- replacing 2 bathrm doors with tempered glass door (1 bi-fold, 1 swing door)

- overlay one side of the wall tiles

- install sliding shower screen

Think that's about all. Total reno cost around 25-30k :D

wow, seems quite abit of work to be done. Please post pictures! pre reno while reno post reno are all welcome! :D

On 28/01/2018 at 9:08 PM, mmoh said:

wow, seems quite abit of work to be done. Please post pictures! pre reno while reno post reno are all welcome! :D

kitchen screed wall

IMG-20180131-WA0042.jpg.673ab100ccccf348038038b232eb8be3.jpg

Overlayed bathroom tiles.

20180201_001157.jpg.50b7253d10ca894d7a5fe41879727f2c.jpg

10 hours ago, Ankle said:

Overlayed bathroom tiles.

20180201_001157.jpg.50b7253d10ca894d7a5fe41879727f2c.jpg

are the tiles smooth or rough in accordance to the lines? if is rough then difficult to clean leh.

IMG_6887.JPG

This is the final layout that my ID propose.

Total cost for renovation on paper is around $19K, but expect to add in a few $k for additional things.

But I was thinking whether want to do vinyl flooring overly or not?

8 hours ago, mmoh said:

are the tiles smooth or rough in accordance to the lines? if is rough then difficult to clean leh.

Its rough... i only do one wall... so cleaning should be fine... :)

6 hours ago, FrancisTay said:

IMG_6887.JPG

This is the final layout that my ID propose.

Total cost for renovation on paper is around $19K, but expect to add in a few $k for additional things.

But I was thinking whether want to do vinyl flooring overly or not?

Have you collected your keys?

For me, i've intended to place my wardrobe same as yours. But i couldn't do full height because there's where hdb leave opening to lay aircon trunk. And my id advice me against drilling a hole in bathroom and lay from there.

Flooring depends and your budget and preferences. Have to google for pros and cons of different flooring before making a decision.