Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

On 3/10/2018 at 1:16 AM, Melody2205 said:

Hi All,

I'm new here. Have been reading the forum till page 50 until I decided to skip all the way back. Lol! I have just selected my unit last month. I noticed the floor plan for the toilet for some of you is a little different from mine. Does that mean that my toilet will only have one door? Mine is 45 sq mtrs 2-room unit at Bukit Batok. Estimated delivery possession date is Nov 2022. Still a long way to go!

Nice flat design you have there Melody.
Your floor plan for toilet is exactly same as mine, yes it will have only 1 door.

DB Box is well placed, can definitely be used as a shoe cabinet since its just next to the main door.
Kitchen is long without any funny corners, easy to plan for your kitchen cabinet.
Do you mind attaching the HDB Proposed Design here too? Because this one will give you a gauge
where the water points are so you will know agar agar where to place your kitchen sink etc.

The bedroom sliding door however, I suspect you may want to replace it.
From my experience of sliding door, HDB sliding door is very terok. Mine was stuck constantly, had a bad rust smell too.
It was the first item I needed to get rid off immediately lol. That said, the sliding door given to me by HDB was old model. Hopefully yours is better.

If you are replacing the sliding door, I can foresee that your reno budget may need to increase quite abit,
because you will also need to hack away the false wall and if that false wall contains any electrical outlets, there is another cost of re-wiring,
and of course if you still want to partition off your bedroom, you may need to re-build another false wall.

There are some new items i noticed circled in red.
Anyone knows what they are?

Item 1: What is this thing in the bedroom?

Item 2: What is this little notch?

Item 3: Is this a blocked off wall? or a raised platform kerb for Washing machine?

IMG_20180310_0003.jpg.1870cefa15e8e329cc8a026bc9d438dc.jpg.70f659ed9880645e96f5ce98832c54d4.jpg

Edited by ryanyth

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 3/8/2018 at 12:40 PM, FrancisTay said:

I am exactly not "ban dang", but for those who had collected keys and start renovating or move in, 

do u guys and gals do any so call door opening ritual?

When i collected my keys, I remembered it was in the middle of 7th month imagine that lol. :P
That said, for me is not very pantang, but abit pantang lol.

Door opening for me was early morning, immediately after I got my key from HDB. I didn't specifically chose any special date.
1) I rolled a pineapple, 5 oranges, arranged them nicely in the middle of living room,
2) Said some auspicious lucky phrases
3) Opened all the windows and liberally sprinkle some sea salt at all corners of my home.
4) While sprinkling sea salt, using the 4 main languages of singapore, i requested for any unwanted visitors to kindly leave my home.

Worked so far for me.

Edited by ryanyth

4 hours ago, ryanyth said:

Item 3: Is this a blocked off wall? or a raised platform kerb for Washing machine?

IMG_20180310_0003.jpg.1870cefa15e8e329cc8a026bc9d438dc.jpg.70f659ed9880645e96f5ce98832c54d4.jpg

Item 1. Could be a small wall erected to complete the sliding door mechanism to close properly to ensure no gap.

Item 2.  It could be a square port hole windows.

Item 3. Concealed water pipe with a covered opening to access in case of emergency. See my pic. I installed wall cabinet over the access, so i pray nothing happened at my unit. Yr kitchen should have this too.

.BFlat2.jpg.1d6faf294de0015436fcd217cc0c6fbd.jpg

5 hours ago, ryanyth said:

Nice flat design you have there Melody.
Your floor plan for toilet is exactly same as mine, yes it will have only 1 door.

DB Box is well placed, can definitely be used as a shoe cabinet since its just next to the main door.
Kitchen is long without any funny corners, easy to plan for your kitchen cabinet.
Do you mind attaching the HDB Proposed Design here too? Because this one will give you a gauge
where the water points are so you will know agar agar where to place your kitchen sink etc.

The bedroom sliding door however, I suspect you may want to replace it.
From my experience of sliding door, HDB sliding door is very terok. Mine was stuck constantly, had a bad rust smell too.
It was the first item I needed to get rid off immediately lol. That said, the sliding door given to me by HDB was old model. Hopefully yours is better.

If you are replacing the sliding door, I can foresee that your reno budget may need to increase quite abit,
because you will also need to hack away the false wall and if that false wall contains any electrical outlets, there is another cost of re-wiring,
and of course if you still want to partition off your bedroom, you may need to re-build another false wall.

Actually when I went for unit selection, my mind of the layout was that of the one in HDB showflat gallery. I didn't really notice that my floor plan was different till weeks after I made my selection. Oh well... I'm a little sotong at times. Lol! I thought it would just be the same as the one in showroom at HDB, with the two doors in the bathroom. Pros and cons for the two doors in the bathroom. I like the accessibility from the bedroom and kitchen to the bathroom. But like what most mentioned here earlier, the interior layout would only make the whole bathroom wet and limited space for wet/dry area. Now that it has only one door, I know where to have my wet / dry corner as it's the same layout at my bro's 4 room flat. 

Item 3 seems like a raised platform kerb for washing machine as per the showroom. Let's see if anyone else can advise us. :)

12 hours ago, fiqa denny Lim said:

Hello babe hi hi and welcome to this forum. Regarding yur washroom door Its seems like there is only one door to it as u mentioned. I guess hdb have design another new  layout of the new batch of flats. Anyway many 2roomers here have decided to seal one door of their unit so u kind of lucky to have only one door to the washroom. 

2022 wow u can save enough money babe for your renovation of the flat. 

Good and bad. By the time I get my keys, GST has probably gone up! I have to factor in all the GST costs as well :(

Save now for future.

4 hours ago, ryanyth said:

When i collected my keys, I remembered it was in the middle of 7th month imagine that lol. :P
That said, for me is not very pantang, but abit pantang lol.

Door opening for me was early morning, immediately after I got my key from HDB. I didn't specifically chose any special date.
1) I rolled a pineapple, 5 oranges, arranged them nicely in the middle of living room,
2) Said some auspicious lucky phrases
3) Opened all the windows and liberally sprinkle some sea salt at all corners of my home.
4) While sprinkling sea salt, using the 4 main languages of singapore, i requested for any unwanted visitors to kindly leave my home.

Worked so far for me.

What is the purpose of sprinkling sea salt? 4 languages? Wow... I only know two :lol:

Hi everyone! So it's been about two months since I've moved into my new flat, and I have to say that overall I'm quite happy. I do have some regrets, but they are minor. One is my toilet floor - which I really feel in future I will go for function over form, as it looks stylish but I think bigger tiles for the toilet are better? It does look nice though - no regrets for the wall at least!

IMG_6343.jpg.a1af3e4934d3ddc8dc2683e4388f6617.jpg

Someone mentioned they wanted to do a half-wall to divide their room? I would recommend full glass instead of half-glass - the sun really gets blocked by a half-wall! Also your living room becomes tiny...but that's to be expected. I have no TV, but be warned that a couch + coffee table + tv console is near impossible (though I guess you could always build-in your tv console).

IMG_6740.jpg.43b27e8e338fd88361b9d53efa658b06.jpg

Also if I were to do it again I would possibly not make this living room carpentry and put the tv console there instead? So that my couch can face it and then I might have space for a small dining table. But that's...eh. I never eat at the table anyway so it's a small matter. Overall I'm pretty pleased!

IMG_6702.jpg.37c690c6ddd1ed3aa79043df7d38bda2.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Suneeta Devi said:

Hi everyone! So it's been about two months since I've moved into my new flat, and I have to say that overall I'm quite happy. I do have some regrets, but they are minor. One is my toilet floor - which I really feel in future I will go for function over form, as it looks stylish but I think bigger tiles for the toilet are better? It does look nice though - no regrets for the wall at least!

IMG_6343.jpg.a1af3e4934d3ddc8dc2683e4388f6617.jpg

Has it been a hassle to keep cleaning the water splashes on glass after a shower?
How do you prevent algae build up in the shower cabin? My friend also did shower cabin,
and within a year, he found the grooves of the shower cabin filled with algae.
He does clean it semi-regularly, but algae still built up.

Your toilet floor looks nice, match the wall nicely, texture wise it looks smooth.
Did you regret choosing smooth texture for your toilet floor?

For me I thought I'd hate my toilet floor sandpaper rough texture as I assumed it would be super difficult to clean,
but in reality, using a mop still does the job relatively easily, but most importantly really protects against any accidental slips.
my mop does wear out faster lol, but i guess is small price to pay for safety i guess.

Edited by ryanyth

2 minutes ago, ryanyth said:

Has it been a hassle to keep cleaning the water splashes on glass after a shower?
How do you prevent algae build up in the shower cabin? My friend did this,
and without maintenance, he found the grooves of the shower cabin filled with algae.

Your toilet floor looks nice, match the wall nicely, texture wise it looks smooth.

For me I thought I'd hate my toilet floor sandpaper rough texture as I assumed it would be super difficult to clean,
but in reality, using a mop still does the job relatively easily, but most importantly really protects against any accidental slips.

I clean my floor with a product called grout shield on an event. Not sure if you heard it. It keep my floor white too

Just now, AndreaLee said:

I clean my floor with a product called grout shield on an event. Not sure if you heard it. It keep my floor white too

isn't grout shield used on tile grouting to prevent it turning black colour?
didn't realize it also can be used for floor cleaning.

11 minutes ago, ryanyth said:

How do you prevent algae build up in the shower cabin? My friend also did shower cabin,
and within a year, he found the grooves of the shower cabin filled with algae.
He does clean it semi-regularly, but algae still built up.

my mop does wear out faster lol, but i guess is small price to pay for safety i guess.

Hi - so far the water splashes have not been that big an issue - I do clean it thoroughly every couple of weeks, including trying my best to scrub that corner. I hope there's no algae! But sometimes I think that we can't prevent that, so we'll see.

It's not smooth - the tiles are textured: http://www.hafary.com.sg/collection/Tiles/Equipe-Ceramicas-Rhombus-Black-612?image=4157

No regrets for that since the textures prevent accidental slips, like you said. :) Can't get a tile that's too smooth. (Only regret is I feel the tiles are too small...but haha that's me feeling like, bigger tiles means less grouting issues.)

Edited by Suneeta Devi

3 hours ago, Suneeta Devi said:

Hi - so far the water splashes have not been that big an issue - I do clean it thoroughly every couple of weeks, including trying my best to scrub that corner. I hope there's no algae! But sometimes I think that we can't prevent that, so we'll see.

It's not smooth - the tiles are textured: http://www.hafary.com.sg/collection/Tiles/Equipe-Ceramicas-Rhombus-Black-612?image=4157

No regrets for that since the textures prevent accidental slips, like you said. :) Can't get a tile that's too smooth. (Only regret is I feel the tiles are too small...but haha that's me feeling like, bigger tiles means less grouting issues.)

Nice. if the tiles are textured thats very good.
Personally I feel grouting issues is not very big issue for me, as long as I disinfect and mop weekly,
i'm not overly concerned if the grout turn black. Eventually i guess it will still turn black due to age anyways.

I like your floor design because it gels well with the wall pattern.
I realize your living room floor rug also got geometric patterns (very nice looking btw) :D
You must be someone who like patterns and variety

I'm not so adventurous as yours lol, as i scare the pattern I choose not nice or too "messy" lol.
So i just chose simple and plain type of tiles.

Edited by ryanyth

15 hours ago, ryanyth said:

Item 1 is a gable-end wall. It is supposed to lower the temperature of walls which are exposed to direct sunlight. It won't look different from other walls.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2Roomer said:

Item 1 is a gable-end wall. It is supposed to lower the temperature of walls which are exposed to direct sunlight. It won't look different from other walls.

Interesting. Learnt something new.
Thanks for the info.
Certainly looks unique, i thought its some sort of feature wall or something.

18 hours ago, Melody2205 said:

What is the purpose of sprinkling sea salt? 4 languages? Wow... I only know two :lol:

Salt has always been used as a purifying item and it has been for various cultures around the world.
And using Sea Salt compared to Common Table Salt is better because i guess is more organic too?

As for the languages, i sought the help of my office colleagues lol.
Just trying to cover my bases here by using Singapore 4 main languages :D

• Like 1