Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

15 hours ago, Studio45 said:

:) Hi mmoh and all forumers here, newbie here.

I've been following renotalk for a while and love the sharing community here,

thanks everyone.

Hello and welcome :)
Good to see another fellow 2 roomer!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Thank you ryanyth :), I've read your entire T-blog, very informative for a newbie like me, even got pizza, cheeseburgers and char kway teow for more inspiration :P.  Very nice Modern Zen indeed. :D

Will be camping around RenoTalk when free to lookout for more ideas as I still have time before my project T.O.P.  

Edited by Studio45
Typo

Hi Guys,

A couple of questions to ask, please share your thinking on these.

1) Selection of bathroom basin  & Taps - I do not intend to install storage tank, no need for hot & cold water at the tap.  What kind of basin (for bathroom) & tap should I consider? I saw from another forum, there are some taps that are mount onto the basin, and some tap (taller ones) are mounted on the counter top.  Any pros & cons?

2) Instant water heater for shower - Any brands to recommend? Anything to lookout for? I know it is good to get those with copper tank instead of plastic tank.

3) Gas hob for cooking - I intend to get a single hob. What do I need to look out for? Any brand to recommend? OR Shall I go for ceramic heating coil? Going forward, I would like to cook dinner on weekends and sometimes invite friends over for a meal.

thanks alot!

8 hours ago, swatcL said:

Hi Guys,

1) Selection of bathroom basin  & Taps - I do not intend to install storage tank, no need for hot & cold water at the tap.  What kind of basin (for bathroom) & tap should I consider? I saw from another forum, there are some taps that are mount onto the basin, and some tap (taller ones) are mounted on the counter top.  Any pros & cons?

2) Instant water heater for shower - Any brands to recommend? Anything to lookout for? I know it is good to get those with copper tank instead of plastic tank.

3) Gas hob for cooking - I intend to get a single hob. What do I need to look out for? Any brand to recommend? OR Shall I go for ceramic heating coil? Going forward, I would like to cook dinner on weekends and sometimes invite friends over for a meal.

thanks alot!

1) bathroom tap shd be mount on basin one bah? taller tap seems to be for kitchen only? cos u need height in kitchen while bathroom basin if tall tap, water easily splash out.

2) I bought Joven, although they are well known for storage heater only... My parents house installed Joven instant heater and after many years, we are still using. Although the temperature knob seems not very good now, we just turn it to the lowest heat. The other well know brands are 707 and ariston bah.

3) I didnt research much on this, cant offer help. My hob is EF, glass, 30cm width, front and back. The only reason I chose this is because of the 30cm width which gives more more counter top space.

I'm using the Panasonic DH-3DL2S. Need to change the shower head though as it produces a very weak flow. The flow limiter is built into the head. From my own research it has a copper tank.

On 4/22/2018 at 1:20 AM, swatcL said:

Edited by jothm

On 22/04/2018 at 1:20 AM, swatcL said:

Hi Guys,

1) Selection of bathroom basin  & Taps - I do not intend to install storage tank, no need for hot & cold water at the tap.  What kind of basin (for bathroom) & tap should I consider? I saw from another forum, there are some taps that are mount onto the basin, and some tap (taller ones) are mounted on the counter top.  Any pros & cons

Not sure how to advice you on this one. There are different type of bathroom sink. Ie, over the top, undermount, vessel, pedestal, with vanity, semi-recessed and etc. You've gotta google for pros and cons before making a decision.

I've gotten over the top built in sink with stainless steel vanity and bought the tap separately from taobao... total cost me ard $700...

thanks alot!

My original plan was to get single gas hob + induction cooker but went for 2 burner gas hob instead becoz single gas hob is more expensive... 

On 21/04/2018 at 12:15 AM, Studio45 said:

Thank you ryanyth :), I've read your entire T-blog, very informative for a newbie like me, even got pizza, cheeseburgers and char kway teow for more inspiration :P.  Very nice Modern Zen indeed. :D

Will be camping around RenoTalk when free to lookout for more ideas as I still have time before my project T.O.P.  

Hahhaha thanks for your support :D
Yea same as me, i was camping around for ideas too.
Do feel free to ask anything you need. We will try our best to help.

Hi Guys,

Storage tank not only because of the Hot & Cold Water.
If you are concern about Water Pressure, Storage Tank would be much more stronger than Instant Heater.
Basin and Tap is quite subjective. Is up to your preference honestly. As long as your ID say the tap you want is ok to install, just go ahead.

No comment for Instant Water Tank, but my initial thought was getting 707 brand because is old and trusted brand i guess.

thanks alot!

Would you consider an induction cooker? It uses electricity and it looks very modern.
Usage wise to reach boiling point is very fast. 
Very easy to clean also, just need to wipe clean with cloth will do.
I've been regularly cooking on induction so far, and I really enjoy it. Downside is Induction Bill cost more than Gas I think.

Edited by ryanyth

On 4/22/2018 at 10:03 AM, mmoh said:

1) bathroom tap shd be mount on basin one bah? taller tap seems to be for kitchen only? cos u need height in kitchen while bathroom basin if tall tap, water easily splash out.

2) I bought Joven, although they are well known for storage heater only... My parents house installed Joven instant heater and after many years, we are still using. Although the temperature knob seems not very good now, we just turn it to the lowest heat. The other well know brands are 707 and ariston bah.

3) I didnt research much on this, cant offer help. My hob is EF, glass, 30cm width, front and back. The only reason I chose this is because of the 30cm width which gives more more counter top space.

1) You got a valid point there. Some bathroom basin is design to sit on counter top and doesnt have a hole for the tap. A taller tap is needed. Will look for taps that mount on basin.

2) Joven is from malaysia, very famous for its storage tank system. I thinking of panasonic or 707.

3) I saw the EF 30cm single hob too. I heard from a friend that citygas has a monthly minimum charge even if you do not use much gas for cooking.

mmoh thanks for your sharing.

6 hours ago, Ankle said:

Not sure how to advice you on this one. There are different type of bathroom sink. Ie, over the top, undermount, vessel, pedestal, with vanity, semi-recessed and etc. You've gotta google for pros and cons before making a decision.

I've gotten over the top built in sink with stainless steel vanity and bought the tap separately from taobao... total cost me ard $700...

My original plan was to get single gas hob + induction cooker but went for 2 burner gas hob instead becoz single gas hob is more expensive... 

Ankle, is yours that kind from Taobao that comes with full set? Basin, counter top and cabinet type.

Single hob is more expensive? I saw most 2gas burners cost a little bit more than single gas burner.

13 hours ago, jothm said:

I'm using the Panasonic DH-3DL2S. Need to change the shower head though as it produces a very weak flow. The flow limiter is built into the head. From my own research it has a copper tank.

i used that Panasonic model before. It lasted me for 3 yrs. Didnt know the limited is in the shower head, no wonder I always find the water flow so small... hahaha

1 hour ago, swatcL said:

Ankle, is yours that kind from Taobao that comes with full set? Basin, counter top and cabinet type.

Single hob is more expensive? I saw most 2gas burners cost a little bit more than single gas burner.

Mine is bought in sg... only tap is from taobao.

Eh... the one i've researched is more expensive leh... maybe becoz i've wanted tempered glass hob for easy maintenance.... 

1 hour ago, swatcL said:

3) I saw the EF 30cm single hob too. I heard from a friend that citygas has a monthly minimum charge even if you do not use much gas for cooking.

That is not true. I was charged $1.11 for 6 kWh @0.1842 current month and $0.76 for 4 kWh @0.1842 last month.

The fixed charges your friend referred to might be the refuse removal at $7.71. This one even 0 electricity & 0 gas & 0 water usage also must pay every month.

Hello, first post. Finally managed to log in. My earlier account in Renotalk didn't seem to work when trying to use in the forum.

Btw, visited HomeFirst Lightings recommended by ryan in his blog. Good and friendly service. Average range with affordable prices. Got all my lightings there. But on the lookout for wall lights elsewhere. 

On 4/22/2018 at 1:20 AM, swatcL said:

Hi Guys,

thanks alot!

Hi SwatchL

I went for the single hob since I cook so rarely - it gave me some additional counter space which...I am not really utilizing but appreciate that it's there! It's from Brandt and I got it from Gain City...I think for $299? Apologies for the mess in my kitchen, didn't get a chance to take better pics. The Hood I got from Bosch...it cost more than the hob haha. But pretty good so far!

IMG_6786.jpg

IMG_6785.jpg

IMG_6782.jpg

• Like 1