Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

1 hour ago, swatcL said:

hi guys,

I am about to start my renovation. How do you all handle the toilet usage issue? Do you sealed up the toilet all the way? I am not changing my toilet.

There is no coffeeshop nearby my new place.

Your contractor is going to use the toilet. No choice.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I wrote an email to HDB on 14 Aug and they responded on 20 Aug, saying they were still in the midst of processing my application for AHG and SHG. I wonder if they had forgotten to process mine. Does it really need to take so long to process? 

Then today 2 Sep, they sent me another email asking me to go down to HDB to sign the lease agreement on 7 Oct (Sun).

Finally can sign the lease agreement! Yes!! I'm so excited! LOL!!

On 5/30/2018 at 4:08 PM, greenbunny said:

Alright folks.. Here are my pictures of my simple house. The theme is more like Nordic Minimalist. Feel free to correct me if u think it is another theme instead =)

Kitchen: Before

kitchen01.JPG.9a7953946ce668e8be7cdbbabf78d0ed.JPG

Kitchen: After

kitchen02.JPG.6a29c5ddadf4a710faf8360e2d4425e6.JPG

kitchen03.JPG.b5046bf33c6788144c1694480e0a7c2e.JPG

Mini Laundry Area

kitchen04.JPG.7894de81f142bb4d2f4708ca2a215bab.JPG

Bedroom: Before

bedroom00e.JPG.7612d0ce3813656f47bcfb1d232e8cae.JPG

Bedroom: After

bedroom04.JPG.0520afb12c3f2b647f6b1b12843a6a38.JPG

bedroom07.JPG.7a3ca35de34bea4d04c134b60013f7b4.JPG

Living Room: Before

xlivingroom01.JPG.03a03354d0054ef20593c0903457b490.JPG

livingroom-bedroom00a.JPG.2f430259028098ed4e3a3fff75f660fb.JPG

Living Room: After

livingroom02.JPG.8a3b7b45afe403c807574e87272752df.JPG

livingroom09.JPG.5df95bc031ae3c9f0df1aa289e4d4c74.JPG

livingroom-bedroom05.JPG.6c5da9fc6f02aa6c0cdc302adbdfc834.JPG

Work-Dining Area: Before

bedroom00d.JPG.3987f4a16ba870a9499e5bb2534a0b0e.JPG

Work-Dining Area: After

work-dining00.JPG.f667ac5cd368cd74cd1acbe270455260.JPG

work-dining01.JPG.d8237a3e2fb2d730b66a819d7fd7b5de.JPG

Foyer: Before

foyer01.JPG.b4720b5314c3fce8e216f6540abc5a3f.JPG

Foyer: After

foyer02.JPG.72b2e67e7c2d2062e449f66d79f76e87.JPG

foyer04.JPG.e218b9af562a0b7d486b539686573ec3.JPG

bedroom04.JPG

livingroom02.JPG

Hi greenbunny

U stay in BB too ah. West Ridge?

Very nice house reno u have =) can PM me ur ID contact. Thanks! 

Hi all

May I get your advice and opinions if anyone consider 

1. soundproofing the flat (so no noise from neighbours and v v)
  2. smoke detector and sprinklers
  3. all doors / windows made airtight to prevent cockroaches & lizards entering even main door, and get mosquito screens for windows?

All these cost more money, but I was wondering if it was smart to do at the beginning or unnecessary?

Hi Studioflatter,

I feel that some of it are not necessary and not in the practice for HDB.

Let me briefly explain, as I have some knowledge on it.

1. Soundproof - I think we already have solid concrete walls between different units. Glass windows and FIre-rated main door also acts a it of soundproof, if you closed them I guess. BUT how well is the soundprrof - I do not know.

2. Smoke Detector and Sprinklers - I think sprinklers are not installed in residential units so far, even for Condo. Because I think it will be too expensive to pull the fire water lines all over. Furthermore, can you imagine if the sprinkler malfunction and your entire unit get flooded and all your electrical appliances spolit? Smoke detector can be installed by home owner. - I have brought 1 but did not install it - too lazy. haha. and furthermore, which rooms to install? Haha. Hence I guess maybe you want to buy fire extinguishers (which I have brought 1 too). I think basically, just switch off all electrical appliances(except your fridge) when going out and ensure gas stove is off. 

3. Airtight - means that you are going to have air-conditioning 24 hours? The window I would say is already air tight as they comes with rubber insulation? For the door, u will need to go to the DIY shop to buy some kind of strips what are installed at the bottom of the door. (I have installed it.) It can prevent crawlers from coming in if the door is closed.

• Like 1

smoke detector install outside your kitchen or just outside your bedroom so that you can hear the alarm at night even when you sleep.

from june this year, all new homes (public and private) MUST have smoke detectors installed

On 9/9/2018 at 8:09 PM, studioflatter said:

Hi all

May I get your advice and opinions if anyone consider 

1. soundproofing the flat (so no noise from neighbours and v v)
  2. smoke detector and sprinklers
  3. all doors / windows made airtight to prevent cockroaches & lizards entering even main door, and get mosquito screens for windows?

All these cost more money, but I was wondering if it was smart to do at the beginning or unnecessary?

smoke detector are installed in the living hall for new units.

Mine has one.

Hi all,

Thanks for the update. I didn't know it is installed by HDB now.

swatcL, possible to post a photo of the smoke detector? Just want to know where is the location HDB is placing it.

if u have gas stove, i guess a more common location to install the smoke detector will be in the kitchen?

or if u have electronic mobility device, to install one near its charging station? lol :x

On 9/10/2018 at 9:37 AM, Joterloh said:

Hi Studioflatter,

I feel that some of it are not necessary and not in the practice for HDB.

Let me briefly explain, as I have some knowledge on it.

1. Soundproof - I think we already have solid concrete walls between different units. Glass windows and FIre-rated main door also acts a it of soundproof, if you closed them I guess. BUT how well is the soundprrof - I do not know.

2. Smoke Detector and Sprinklers - I think sprinklers are not installed in residential units so far, even for Condo. Because I think it will be too expensive to pull the fire water lines all over. Furthermore, can you imagine if the sprinkler malfunction and your entire unit get flooded and all your electrical appliances spolit? Smoke detector can be installed by home owner. - I have brought 1 but did not install it - too lazy. haha. and furthermore, which rooms to install? Haha. Hence I guess maybe you want to buy fire extinguishers (which I have brought 1 too). I think basically, just switch off all electrical appliances(except your fridge) when going out and ensure gas stove is off. 

3. Airtight - means that you are going to have air-conditioning 24 hours? The window I would say is already air tight as they comes with rubber insulation? For the door, u will need to go to the DIY shop to buy some kind of strips what are installed at the bottom of the door. (I have installed it.) It can prevent crawlers from coming in if the door is closed.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation @Joterloh I now realise all no need, just need buy the door bottom insulation and stick myself. Saved me so much headache and money, thank you so much!

1. OK good, saves me money

2. I tot my flat won't catch fire as everything from heater to cooker will be electrical, no gas. It's just in case my neighbour's flat catch fire and burn my apt. But yeah, you're right, electrical can also short. and boom.

I won't get fire extinguisher as I don't want to clean up the chemical mess. I will just pour water or put a blanket over the fire.

3. Yes, correct! 24/7 aircon. Like hotel or spa. Nothing dead or alive with more than 2 legs allowed in my apt.

May I ask a follow up question, if anybody chose to insure the contents of the flat which costs more than 100$ / mth for insurance? Because your neighbour can accidentally start a fire and burn down your flat. OR is it smarter to re-reno and rebuy everything from scratch?

2 minutes ago, mmoh said:

if u have gas stove, i guess a more common location to install the smoke detector will be in the kitchen?

or if u have electronic mobility device, to install one near its charging station? lol :x

But if we are outside, and the smoke detector goes off, what are we supposed to do?

14 hours ago, Joterloh said:

Hi all,

Thanks for the update. I didn't know it is installed by HDB now.

swatcL, possible to post a photo of the smoke detector? Just want to know where is the location HDB is placing it.

mine was right in the centre of the living hall.

17 hours ago, mmoh said:

no one installs smoke detectors inside the kitchen. will just keep activating when doing heavy cooking. most common place will be living room or outside the kitchen.

• Haha 1