Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

23 hours ago, studioflatter said:

I won't get fire extinguisher as I don't want to clean up the chemical mess. I will just pour water or put a blanket over the fire.

May I ask a follow up question, if anybody chose to insure the contents of the flat which costs more than 100$ / mth for insurance? Because your neighbour can accidentally start a fire and burn down your flat. OR is it smarter to re-reno and rebuy everything from scratch?

there are some fire which can only put out by chemical fire extinguisher, eg. electric short kind. if you pour water, it will get worst. it is still better to use the chemical fire extinguisher to put out the fire before it spread,  right?

home insurance with content and reno is not that expensive. unless you buy very high coverage. more likely is $100+ per year.

If your neighbour unit got fire and you are affected, his insurance should compensate for your lost.

23 hours ago, studioflatter said:

But if we are outside, and the smoke detector goes off, what are we supposed to do?

smoke detector gives out siren to alert people. so it will alert who ever is nearby.

6 hours ago, snoozee said:

no one installs smoke detectors inside the kitchen. will just keep activating when doing heavy cooking. most common place will be living room or outside the kitchen.

i dont mean to be directly above the stove. so it can be install near to the kitchen door? I dont do heavy cooking so no idea that heavy cooking can cause so much smoke that will activate the smoke detector.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

the idea of the smoke detector is to warn you of impending fire approaching. would it be useful if the alarm sounds in the kitchen but you are in your room and you can't hear it ringing?

depending on the type of smoke detector, false alarms might be triggered by heavy cooking.

if you are concerned about aesthetics, there should not be much concern as the detectors are usually about 10cm in diameter and installed on the ceiling. in fact after installation, you will forget about it until it starts beeping due to low battery.

@mmoh appreciate the reply. I had checked with Etiqa that is the HDB approved insurer, the premiums are around 120-180$ / mth for 2rm flat to insure contents. The 100+ per yr is just for mandatory HDB home insurance for walls, ceiling and floor structures.

BTW, I have plans to build a glass partition study room in the living room to put a table for computer and handbag and stuff, as bedroom no space for table. Cuz if I put a table with stuff in the living room, it's gonna be so messy and no privacy. This is my best solution for putting computer and books and papers. Wadayall think? It will be next to bomb shelter at the wall furthest from the window. But I haven't figured out the ventilation part or the door type yet.

glass study.jpg

glass study2.jpg

Edited by studioflatter
looking how to unhide hidden post?

22 hours ago, snoozee said:

the idea of the smoke detector is to warn you of impending fire approaching. would it be useful if the alarm sounds in the kitchen but you are in your room and you can't hear it ringing?

depending on the type of smoke detector, false alarms might be triggered by heavy cooking.

if you are concerned about aesthetics, there should not be much concern as the detectors are usually about 10cm in diameter and installed on the ceiling. in fact after installation, you will forget about it until it starts beeping due to low battery.

the siren would be loud enough to be heard even if you close your bedroom door.

22 hours ago, studioflatter said:

@mmoh appreciate the reply. I had checked with Etiqa that is the HDB approved insurer, the premiums are around 120-180$ / mth for 2rm flat to insure contents. The 100+ per yr is just for mandatory HDB home insurance for walls, ceiling and floor structures.

BTW, I have plans to build a glass partition study room in the living room to put a table for computer and handbag and stuff, as bedroom no space for table. Cuz if I put a table with stuff in the living room, it's gonna be so messy and no privacy. This is my best solution for putting computer and books and papers. Wadayall think? It will be next to bomb shelter at the wall furthest from the window. But I haven't figured out the ventilation part or the door type yet.

I did a check at etiqa website and it does not cost that much. 

etiqa.jpg.85a404a6fccddff9a83368361d653115.jpg

if you ask me, i would not recommend installing additional partition in the living room. the living room is already very small to begin with. 

messy - this is up to you to design storage cabinets and keep it tidy and proper

privacy - you are staying alone so what privacy? you need to think through the items you have and where to keep them / hide them away from guests.

Hi All,

Last week I saw my window frames peeling. Initially I thought the light shade was dust. Apparently it was peeling, thus showing 2 shades. 

So nowadays, our window frames are not aluminium but just spray painted over?

23 hours ago, Reality said:

Hi All,

Last week I saw my window frames peeling. Initially I thought the light shade was dust. Apparently it was peeling, thus showing 2 shades. 

So nowadays, our window frames are not aluminium but just spray painted over?

peeling? can show pic?

@studioflatter

I've brought a soundwave insect repellent with 60sqm range to keep out creepy crawlers. So far no roach, lizards and ants spotted since i've moved in during apr. Only spotted small flying insects and 2 spiders so far, which i could live with. :D

On 9/9/2018 at 8:09 PM, studioflatter said:

Hi all

May I get your advice and opinions if anyone consider 

1. soundproofing the flat (so no noise from neighbours and v v)
  2. smoke detector and sprinklers
  3. all doors / windows made airtight to prevent cockroaches & lizards entering even main door, and get mosquito screens for windows?

All these cost more money, but I was wondering if it was smart to do at the beginning or unnecessary?

Hi @studioflatter,

For Q1, I don't think it's worth doing it cause it's quite exp.

Q2, I don't think you can install sprinklers at house cause need piping (Water) for the sprinklers. Instead of sprinkler, you can get a small extinguisher (1kg type) for safekeeping. If I don't remember wrongly, the insurer for HDB fire accident insurance (forget the name, haha) got give those for free when you sign up for the insurance (I'm not too sure whether still got anot).

AND

Yeah!!! Counting down one year to completion of my flat.. Haha.. But stressed over the renov fees, hahah..

Edited by daztan89

@Ankle So clever, good thinking!

@daztan89 Thanks, I didn't know about water piping. The HDB insurer is Etiqa, if they give free, that's nice. i'm also extremely stressed over reno fees. So far I've received quotes of 25-40K for basic reno, not yet including fixtures / electricity / lighting / curtains / furniture / aircon, with no help on designs, themes or ideas, they say scared I steal their ideas, so they want me to pay 10-20% deposit first then they discuss ideas.

I felt I wasted so much time and energy meeting IDs, maybe it happened that the IDs I met are very young (<30yo) and new in the industry. most are rude. some shout at me when I ask questions. In the end, I have to research and do everything myself. Problem is I don't understand Chinese,  but I really want to buy from TaoBao to save money. I would also like to go JB to buy furniture but the Grab driver says I need to know which shop to go.

I'm extremely exhausted and frustrated asking for help and getting the "you tell me what you want, I tell you can or not" or "no space. cannot be done (with no input of alternative suggestions)" or "pay first then we talk" attitude.

@mmoh Thank you for your kind help these past years. Thank you for sharing. Thank you for your advice. Thank you for overseeing this thread and helping so many. Tonight, after 4 years of planning and researching, I have finally completed my own layout, my own design, and my own theme. Very tired but grateful.

@studioflatter

how did you source your id? I've met id thru 5 random recommendation from renotalk and +2 from my own sourcing. No one asked for design fee except 1 who ask for 1.5k design fee. And the one who ask is the one that i source on my own.

And the sessions i had with the ids actually gave me some design inputs and i sort of "steal" some of their ideas altho i didn't sign up with them eventually.

It's quite important to know what you want because you're the one going to live in it eventually. And the id might chop you carrot if you behave like you don't have a mind of your own and don't know anything during your meeting with them. Also, beside knowing what you want, u also need to know what you don't want. 

Lastly, 2roomers are at disadvantage position when it comes to sourcing for id. In my case, the Id i've met with are all young and seems to start doing this for only a couple of yrs or so. This is probably because of the profit they can earn from 2rm is much less as compared to 4rms and above. I even have id that does not response to me because they don't do 2rm.

recently went to a friend's newly renovated house and saw this magicseal which is a net that is installed at the window to prevent insects from entering. it is basically strong magnet on the side of the window pane. quite good i would say. 

1523296570_2018-09-1612_23_48.jpg.d95a32c95e40b4cabe7b8660260cabc3.jpg

659802759_2018-09-1612_24_01.jpg.13c2bfdc13f1367c111b77b8c7a58c87.jpg

118818074_2018-09-1612_24_14.jpg.f299a55af8591956673b5d8c0dae80fd.jpg

i am doing my reno now. Its a frustrating process, even though the contractor is my friend. I suppose they all have this mentality " you tell me what you want and I will quickly do it", there is little discussion and I don't even know if it is right or wrong.

Toilet is always a big headache because of the water proofing issue. I looking at a dry/wet ection in the bathroom and uses a curb and glass divider to separate them. Because of this, the original shower area is shifted to another location, and the basin area has moved. This basin now involves hacking of the wall tiles, if I want to use the tap I bought.  I bought a tall sitting on the counter top faceut. My contractor ask me to get a shower mixer, that can use fit into the 2 holes nicely and no hacking involved. It is safe, but it will look ugly on top of my basin. Instead of a nice single tap, I will have a shower mixer whenever I brush my teeth.

bathroom basin.jpg