Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

2 hours ago, mytinybto said:

thanks for replying! it's not so much the money - it's more like I don't want to deal with the stress and hassle of renovating and checking on ID/contractors.  Just want to keep things simple and save time and energy.  

i think i'll just buy everything from Ikea and ask their contractors to install for me and call it a day LOL ?

Ikea can customise to your height and length requirement leh, bring your floor plan and consult their ID. Just remember to choose good quality wood, do not use particle wood.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 10/8/2019 at 10:16 PM, CaseBlue said:

I know our flats very small but anyone still uses any cleaning company for post renovation cleaning?

Yup, but its foc provided by my id.

On 10/8/2019 at 10:16 PM, CaseBlue said:

I know our flats very small but anyone still uses any cleaning company for post renovation cleaning?

I did because I had foot fracture and had to move in in a hurry due to rental lease expiry.

Reno was incomplete, promised move-in date was 14 Sep, but he had to leave else none of my sub cons could work. The contractor intentionally refused to put cardboard protection on vinyl because I did not buy it through him, and he even sent me 13 angry Whatsapp msg in a row late at night to defy my request to put cardboard protection, even though it was in the quotation, before and after glassworks, causing puncture hole damage to my vinyl, drilled into my vinyl, purposely placed glass too close to prevent PVC skirting although reminded. Cardboard protection only laid on the day of carpentry installation, after glassworks and more cement wet works, but damage already done, so the floor was extremely filthy.

In addition, the Contractor told workers to put cement screed and plasterboard powder and their equipment in my bomb shelter without my permission even though I said not to, staining the walls grey and black and making the floor very dirty and dusty. The cleaning supervisor offered to repaint my bomb shelter but could not find the same colour paint code, so he cleaned my bomb shelter by hand until it looks like new. I am so grateful.

Furthermore, the contractor's plumber "left" a plastic bag full of nails, bolts and screws (photos attached) inside the WC then the workers used the WC,  causing choke and overflow of sewage onto bathroom floor, so I could not move in. I asked the WC supplier for help and they sent their plumber to fix the problem, but the floor had sewage overflow when the WC was dismantled to discover the blockage. 

Now I am having to deal with the kitchen cement sink support flooding due to poor masonry and plumbing, HDB suspects the contractor or his workers poured cement down the kitchen pipe.

The contractor warned me many times he would make me regret not applying to 2 banks simnultaneously through his own contacts to route 2 reno bank loans of 36k to his company name for his quote of 18k, and he would make me pay a heavy price for not buying sanitary and kitchen fittings from his friend's shop Ezze Galleria which charged me >5k which I easily bought for 3K+ from other shops, for not allowing him to earn more money by finding my own AC supplier, and finding my own sub cons from electrician to vinyl flooring to blinds. Every single sub con I engaged found their work damaged or compromised due to contractor interference and omitting essential structural components or building masonry or carpentry over their work so they were unable to perform the necessary layouts agreed with my sub cons, myself and contractor, with reminders to the contractor.

I haven't been posting here because everything from masonry wet works, glass works, carpentry, plumbing are so badly done, wrong height, wrong measurements, etc, eg: intentional refusal to leave hole in shower kerb for AC PVC water pipe as AC is my own sub con that I pay directly to.

My dream home has been destroyed by the contractor and his workers, I'm constantly having to repair damages eg: fix backflow, chokage, flooding problems caused by renovation in WC and now kitchen pipes, paying so much out of pocket for repairs, but I am choosing to love my tiny home and see the beauty of all the hard work of my sub cons coming so many times to help to rectify and make my home livable so I can move in soon.

I am spending more money on rectifications, and even more on rental due to reno delays. Some of my sub cons can see how badly the works are done, and noted how the contractor has repeatedly impeded their work which prevents my moving in 4 weeks ago on 14 Sep, but they have never complained, and they are doing their best to help me. I am so grateful.

I miss you guys.

Hello again. 

20191007_114722.jpg

20191007_115504.jpg

Edited by studioflatter
add info

OMG! so sad to see you had a bad contractor. Still Nick or new one that you engaged?

Luckily you had so many good sub con helping you.

Hope you can enjoy your peaceful home now.

4 hours ago, mmoh said:

OMG! so sad to see you had a bad contractor. Still Nick or new one that you engaged?

Luckily you had so many good sub con helping you.

Hope you can enjoy your peaceful home now.

Not Nicholas. I took your advice on him and rejected him. Because you are right, I am his paying customer, not his counsellor. 

Cannot move in yet, kitchen heavily flooded from badly constructed cement sink support, plumbing and pipe chokage. 

The thing about hiring contractors are you gotta tell them exactly what you want and closely monitor their work. Also, they won't be able to advice you on what's right or feasible. I've heard from my id that one of his client's contractor didn't waterproof the wall when they sealed up one of the bathroom entrance because neither parties knew they have to do that. There were moulds growing at the wall and the client had to spend extra to tear down and rebuilt that wall.

Even with my experiences with id, i have to do a lot of close monitoring, communications and even hand sketch things like carpentry customisation with measurements. During my reno, there were some hiccups like incorrect kitchen carpentry measurements were installed and room painted with wrong colour. i'll just refer my id to the sketches that i've sent him and he'll rectify without any issue.

Lastly, try not to sour the relationship with your contractors/id. There were times when i was furious with my id like when he couldn't deliver things that are promised or make me waited long hours at the site while he was moonlighting as grab driver. I've managed to keep my calm when i reason with him with proof and because of that, he was willing to compromise stuffs like accommodating my last min changes for free and even send cleaning team twice when i complaint the cleaning wasn't thorough.

On 10/13/2019 at 12:36 AM, studioflatter said:

Quote removed as requested.

I'm so sorry to hear of this terrible experience you went thru...
Renovation is already quite stressful and its shocking to even have your contractor threaten you like this...unbelievable.

Edited by ryanyth

On 10/13/2019 at 12:36 AM, studioflatter said:

Is the contractor a HDB licensed contractor? If so you can file a complaint to HDB.

Edited by jothm